NBC Olympic logo for Sochi 2014

mhking

Eh... as much as NBC tends to muck up the Summer Games, their Winter Olympic coverage isn't so bad.

Tape-delays for the west-coast for the Vancouver winter games (not to mention blackouts of live events online) does not count as NBC's coverage of the Winter games being "not so bad."

Eh... as much as NBC tends to muck up the Summer Games, their Winter Olympic coverage isn't so bad.

Tape-delays for the west-coast for the Vancouver winter games (not to mention blackouts of live events online) does not count as NBC's coverage of the Winter games being "not so bad."

Not to mention repeatedly showing the death of Nodar Kumaritashvili.

Funny how the NBC Olympics logo is better than the real logo!!

haha it usually is, honestly

That may speak more to the recent poor quality of Olympic logos than to the quality of NBC's.

That said, I dont mind Sochi's logo.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

The winter logo's are generally pretty bland, the summer logos are more about the venues. I think if we see an "iconic" city get the winter games this might change, but not until then. There really isn't anything that sparks the American viewer's attention about Sochi, Vancouver, or Torino. London (Big Ben), Bejing (Great Wall), Athens (Parthenon), and Sydney (Opera House) all have iconic images that can be drawn from. Remember, we also saw a generic logo for Atlanta, which, outside of using a coca-cola bottle, really lacks anything that could be referred to as iconic.

image_tvlogo_1996_atlanta2.png

Pyeongchang will probably follow the generic winter pattern, while Rio will probably have the Cristo Redentor involved in the logo, unless of course that's deemed too religiously charged. Istanbul, Madrid, and Tokyo all lend themselves to similar designs should they be chosen for 2020. 2022 still has too many bids to narrow down, but for 2024 I'm still hoping New York wins the bid, that way we can see a variation on my favorite Olympic logo ever:

image_olympiclogo_nyc2012_01.gif

Anubis.png

• 4 weeks later...

I pulled together the Olympic Broadcaster Logos archive that JPDesign noted above. Thanks for mentioning that!

As for the Sochi logo, it's quite the contrast from Vancouver. I think the unknown aspect of the location - it being in Russia but not the Russia we all tend to visualize - makes the use of white a good choice. It's quite different; I'd say a bit more welcoming. That said, it has no personality whatsoever. Swap out the name Sochi with Vancouver and you pretty much get the same logo and experience. NBC tends to rely on the mountains for their Winter offerings, which is odd, since they work harder with cultural aspects for their Summer logos.

Archived