Your uniform-related beliefs

johnnysama

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I almost made a thread about this: But I HATE the seemingly new trend of putting "Jr." or "III" on the NOB. "Jr." is not a part of your last name. It should only be used to distinguish two players with the same last name (and I still don't like it, unless maybe both have the same first initial). Really the only way I'd like it is if father and son are on the same team (like the Griffeys or the Ripkens when Cal Sr was coach...ironically, I don't think "Jr." was added in either case).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The speciality jerseys have gone overboard. We don't need Spanish language jerseys, we don't need pink jerseys, we don't need green jerseys. It's all a sad money grab. A patch or sticker will do just fine.

There shouldn't be a limit of amount of jerseys used.

Don't these two contradict each other?

Not really. I didn't say we shouldn't limit jerseys just so they can come up with a special jersey for every occasion. It was more along allowing a throwback and alternate, and it was aimed towards hockey and football having no limits as they currently do.

2ly2w09.jpg

- None of these gimmicky one-off "Ethnicity X Heritage" jerseys (Baseball)

- The button on a cap should always match the bill (baseball)

- Unless you wore them when they were originally part of a hockey uniform, don't wear laces (hockey)

- No double outlines. In some cases, they work (if the numbers and both outlines are all different colours), but usually it just clutters things up (all)

- No apron piping, no incomplete arm stripes, no side panels, no invisible/miniscule hem stripes, no pit stains, no phantom yokes, and none of this "innovative" garbage Reebok brought (hockey)

- If you're going to wear a throwback, don't throwback to crappy teams that nobody cared about (Capitals, Penguins)

- Stop throwing black and vintage white into designs for the sake of doing so

- Front numbers don't belong in the NHL. I don't care if it's Sharks style or Stars style, it looks terrible

- Don't try to do another team's "thing" (Pittsburgh with the Rangers script, Tampa Bay with their current look)

- Don't, for the love of Zeus, wear a fauxback, unless it's very close to what was actually worn.

- Don't fauxback to a period in which you never even existed

- Don't slap a logo in a circle. If the logo forms a circle (Oilers, Islanders), then fine. But don't just throw it into a roundel with "Team Name"/"(Sports) Club" arched over and under it (Padres, Lightning)

x2 to all of these.

Hate this computer, tried to not post this in a second post. Sorry for the double post.

2ly2w09.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had to bump this up because this one is annoying the crap out me lately but when a football (soccer) does hoops,half the team are wearing compression shirt and the other half are hearing like they're suspose to be,i really wish that team chose one of the other!

soc_g_celtic_mb_300.jpg

I had to bump this up because this one is annoying the crap out me lately but when a football (soccer) does hoops,half the team are wearing compression shirt and the other half are hearing like they're suspose to be,i really wish that team chose one of the other!

soc_g_celtic_mb_300.jpg

Try playing a night game in Scotland and you'll see why they wear those tight undershirts. I'm pretty sure every player wears those tight shirts under their uniforms regardless if its a short sleeve or a long sleeve top because it can get so bloody cold over there. It's not a fashion thing, it's just to keep the players comfortable during the match.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

The Pistons' colors are derived from the Detroit city flag.

Cool, but they could follow the Lions and the Tiger's color scheme and drop the red and replace it with grey or silver.

The Pistons' colors are derived from the Detroit city flag.

I believe no team should have Red, White, and Blue as their franchise colors UNLESS their mascot was something to do with American History or the team is located in Washington DC. Teams such as the 76ers, Patriots, and Texans are all fine. But the Pistons, Clippers, Bills, and Hawks need to get more creative. There are a TON of color combinations and schemes that are not being used.

They tried that...it failed:

245920_crop_650x440.jpg?1315577839

Okay then, try again. That was the "teal-happy" 90s. I actually liked the horse head, they should've never got rid of that.

Here's one that I've finally embraced. Grey facemasks are fine, even if the team doesn't wear grey or silver, because a facemask is a piece of equipment, not part of the uniform. No one tries to colour coordinate hockey skates or cages on hockey helmets or goalie masks. And in football no one really thinks the chinstraps should match the rest of the uniform. So bring on the grey facemasks.

baseball:

* button-down jerseys (exceptions: the A's of the mid-70s looked beautiful with pullovers, as did the early 70s Pirates)

* white jerseys at home; grey on the road (exception: the mid-70s A's had great green and yellow jerseys)

* white pants at home; grey on the road (exception: the 70s A's had white pants on the road for the most part)

* pants with belts (exception: the Swingin' A's once again -- they did a lot right with a completely non-traditional set)

* pants can be baggy or tight; but they must go down only to somewhere between the knees and lower calf

* stirrups must be worn, either high or low

* most teams should use standard number fonts, either varsity or block (several important exceptions: Red Sox, original Expos, Cubs, Blue Jays; but no monstrosities like the several ridiculous fonts that the Brewers have employed, or those that the Astros and Diamondbacks have used.)

* one cap (no exceptions -- sorry, 70s A's; your white manager's/coaches' cap would have to go)

* letter logo should reflect locale OR nickname, not both -- looking at you "CR" (it's aesthetically pleasing; but it bugs the hell out of me -- use C or R) (exception: eMb of the Expos; ball-in-glove of the Brewers)

football:

* solid colour jerseys -- no panels or swooshes (exceptions: shoulder area can be white on coloured jersey, vice versa)

* real sleeves

* varsity numbers (exception: Bears)

* jersey and pants must be different colours, except when both are white

* pants and socks must be different colours

* more teams should wear white at home

* no team wordmark on front of jersey under the NFL logo

basketball:

* shorts no lower than bottom of knee

* most teams should use standard number fonts (I suppose a few exceptions exist -- but get those awful Nets, Kings, and Thunder number fonts out of here)

soccer:

* one team should always be in white -- colour-on-colour matches look terrible to me

* no ads on jerseys (I am militantly pro-player; but I don't care if the lack of sponsor fees would reduce player salaries. The aesthetics are important)

* no league-wide standard for number fonts; this should be up to the team (fonts other than block or varsity don't bother me in soccer as they do in baseball and in American/Canadian football -- maybe because the teams tend to choose wisely)

hockey:

* white at home

* white at home

* white at home

* laces on sweaters

* white at home

* white at home

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

baseball:

* button-down jerseys (exceptions: the A's of the mid-70s looked beautiful with pullovers, as did the early 70s Pirates)

* white jerseys at home; grey on the road (exception: the mid-70s A's had great green and yellow jerseys)

* white pants at home; grey on the road (exception: the 70s A's had white pants on the road for the most part)

* pants with belts (exception: the Swingin' A's once again -- they did a lot right with a completely non-traditional set)

* pants can be baggy or tight; but they must go down only to somewhere between the knees and lower calf

* most teams should use standard number fonts, either varsity or block (several important exceptions: Red Sox, original Expos, Cubs, Blue Jays; but no monstrosities like the several ridiculous fonts that the Brewers have employed, or those that the Astros and Diamondbacks have used.)

* one cap (no exceptions -- sorry, 70s A's; your white manager's/coaches' cap would have to go)

* letter logo should reflect locale OR nickname, not both -- looking at you "CR" (it's aesthetically pleasing; but it bugs the hell out of me -- use C or R) (exception: eMb of the Expos; ball-in-glove of the Brewers)

football:

* solid colour jerseys -- no panels or swooshes (exceptions: shoulder area can be white on coloured jersey, vice versa)

* real sleeves

basketball:

* most teams should use standard number fonts (I suppose a few exceptions exist -- but get those awful Nets, Kings, and Thunder number fonts out of here)

soccer:

* one team should always be in white -- colour-on-colour matches look terrible to me

* no ads on jerseys (I am militantly pro-player; but I don't care if the lack of sponsor fees would reduce player salaries. The aesthetics are important)

* no league-wide standard for number fonts; this should be up to the team (fonts other than block or varsity don't bother me in soccer as they do in baseball and in American/Canadian football -- maybe because the teams tend to choose wisely)

hockey:

* white at home

* white at home

* white at home

* laces on sweaters

* white at home

* white at home

So wait...Are you an A's fan?

Falcons. UGA. Hawks. Braves. Tottenham Hotspur. Atlanta United

soc_g_celtic_mb_300.jpg

Try playing a night game in Scotland and you'll see why they wear those tight undershirts. I'm pretty sure every player wears those tight shirts under their uniforms regardless if its a short sleeve or a long sleeve top because it can get so bloody cold over there. It's not a fashion thing, it's just to keep the players comfortable during the match.

Then design a compression shirt that mimics the hoop pattern for the sake of continuity.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

1. "Throwbacks as alternates" are terrible choice.

1a. One-offs in baseball/basketball/hockey are fine,

2b. NFL teams should reserve throwbacks for anniversary celebrations.

2. Only teams that have black as a primary color should have black uniforms

3. If your alternate matches your cap color, the cap should have a different colored bill

4. Names on the back.

5. Camouflage is ALWAYS the wrong decision.

baseball:

football:

* real sleeves

basketball:

soccer:

hockey:

* white at home

* white at home

* white at home

* laces on sweaters

* white at home

* white at home

I was a Yankee fan growing up. But, seeing how cool the A's looked -- both with their uniforms and their mustaches -- I adopted them as my second team. And the cool, mustachioed A's against the uncool square Reds (who weren't even allowed to have mustaches!) in the 1972 World Series made the contrast even more striking.

In the first World Series game that I ever saw, Game 1 of the 1972 Series, a player who shares my birthday, Gene Tenace, made history by becoming the first player to homer in his first two Series at-bats. And the team of Bando, Catfish, Fingers, Reggie, Rudi, North, etc. was fascinating to watch. The A's were the standard of greatness while the Yankees were coming out of the "lean years". (Though the Yanks did make a serious run at the AL East title in 1974, and would have met the A's in the playoffs. I remember being pretty excited at that prospect.)

During the 1972 Series I learned of the history of the A's in Philadelphia, as I had been learning of the history of the Giants in New York. So, the A's were my second team; and the Giants were my favourite team in the National League.

I was a Yankee fan then, but not really a Met-hater. (That would come later.) So, even though I was rooting for the A's in the 1973 Series against the Mets, I was doing so not out of dislike for the Mets (you cannot dislike Seaver, Staub, McGraw, WILLIE MAYS, Kranepool, etc.), but out of admiration for the A's.

I continued to view the A's as my second team, even as they sunk to the bottom of the AL West in the late 70s, after Finley sold everyone off. So I was pleased when they revived under Billy Martin (even if we now know that that revival cost several pitchers their careers).

The A's under Billy moved away from their great mid-70s uniforms. But the first home set under Billy was a nice one, the button-down jersey with the piping. (Even though the road jerseys never looked great.) I know that the mid-70s set could not be a main uni today; but I wish they had kept the early-80s home uni for several decades, as they have done with the 1987 design.

1983-25318-F.jpg1983-9027-F.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

baseball:

football:

* real sleeves

basketball:

soccer:

hockey:

* white at home

* white at home

* white at home

* laces on sweaters

* white at home

* white at home

I was a Yankee fan growing up. But, seeing how cool the A's looked -- both with their uniforms and their mustaches -- I adopted them as my second team. And the cool, mustachioed A's against the uncool square Reds (who weren't even allowed to have mustaches!) in the 1972 World Series made the contrast even more striking.

In the first World Series game that I ever saw, Game 1 of the 1972 Series, a player who shares my birthday, Gene Tenace, made history by becoming the first player to homer in his first two Series at-bats. And the team of Bando, Catfish, Fingers, Reggie, Rudi, North, etc. was fascinating to watch. The A's were the standard of greatness while the Yankees were coming out of the "lean years". (Though the Yanks did make a serious run at the AL East title in 1974, and would have met the A's in the playoffs. I remember being pretty excited at that prospect.)

During the 1972 Series I learned of the history of the A's in Philadelphia, as I had been learning of the history of the Giants in New York. So, the A's were my second team; and the Giants were my favourite team in the National League.

I was a Yankee fan then, but not really a Met-hater. (That would come later.) So, even though I was rooting for the A's in the 1973 Series against the Mets, I was doing so not out of dislike for the Mets (you cannot dislike Seaver, Staub, McGraw, WILLIE MAYS, Kranepool, etc.), but out of admiration for the A's.

I continued to view the A's as my second team, even as they sunk to the bottom of the AL West in the late 70s, after Finley sold everyone off. So I was pleased when they revived under Billy Martin (even if we now know that that revival cost several pitchers their careers).

The A's under Billy moved away from their great mid-70s uniforms. But the first home set under Billy was a nice one, the button-down jersey with the piping. (Even though the road jerseys never looked great.) I know that the mid-70s set could not be a main uni today; but I wish they had kept the early-80s home uni for several decades, as they have done with the 1987 design.

1983-25318-F.jpg1983-9027-F.jpg

I don't care

Falcons. UGA. Hawks. Braves. Tottenham Hotspur. Atlanta United

Archived