Pittsburgh Penguins Concept (Logos and JERSEY Ideas)

pittsburghsports16

Time to get back into doing concepts again. It's been a long year now :-). How about a hockey concept?

The newly released early-90s Penguins prototypes inspired these concepts. I mainly looking for C&C on how to improve. I usually can keep building on a concept, but I'm not sure where to go from here. You don't have to mention NOB, I'm working on that already.

The primary "Skating Penguin" logo is nothing special. For the Robo-Pen, I wanted to give it a little more of an expression. Since the designer was going for a bold look, I thought that a slight, confident smile, with a hint of a cartoonish flare would help it and the skating penguin form a more cohesive bond. I also rounded out its neck, helping to get rid of the "pigeon" misconception.

Using their current script as an inspiration, I started from scratch with their wordmark. The triangle bits coming out of the northwest corner of each letter stand for three things:

1) Adding to the triangular symmetry

2) Wings

3) The diagonal pattern it creates when placed on a jersey.

The jerseys are pretty-much self-explanitory...Fine, I'm lazy. :-)

fpen11_zps33068dd2.png

fpen17_zpsaeed562f.png

fpen16_zpsf148c1b7.png

fpen15_zps0bbb326a.png

fpen14_zpscf4a2ab0.png

fpen13_zps3ff79b80.png

fpen12_zpsa5fbdacf.png

fpen10_zpsed1fee81.png

Edit: Eh, I suppose I should mention that the script on the yellow alternate above is beveled. The base color is black, the two in-between colors are silver and white, and the outline is black.

C&C would be great. Thank you for viewing!

The top two look absolutely spectacular! I cannot imagine the Penguins wearing anything better and if that white jersey was real, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat.

I like the updated script on the second set but I'm not sure how I feel about grey having prominence over white on the striping of the black version. Seems off to me. The white version on the other hand is pretty close to perfect.

Not a huge fan of the third set simply because I've never liked the skating penguin. Always looked cartoonish and goofy. The gold third however is very nice. I'd like to see that as the alternate with the first set as the primaries.

The top two look absolutely spectacular! I cannot imagine the Penguins wearing anything better and if that white jersey was real, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat.

I like the updated script on the second set but I'm not sure how I feel about grey having prominence over white on the striping of the black version. Seems off to me. The white version on the other hand is pretty close to perfect.

Not a huge fan of the third set simply because I've never liked the skating penguin. Always looked cartoonish and goofy. The gold third however is very nice. I'd like to see that as the alternate with the first set as the primaries.

Thanks a lot. I think I'll post an updated set with a little more emphasis on white over silver. That and the NOBs with smaller numbers.

If you don't like the skating penguin logo that much, maybe you could try out using their original skating penguin with scarf logo for a 3rd set instead (used in merchandise when frachise 1st started but never on official jersey - until the winter classic). could also consider try using that penguin with scarf logo without the circle and name around it with just the penguin and triangle.

Like very much how your 'Robo penguin' jerseys look. Your reworked Penguin has a lot more personality than the original 'Robo penguin'. Having the shoulders on each side continuing the pattern in the middle of the jersey (yellow on one side, grey and white stripes the other) works very well. Not sure if it would look better or worse, but have you tried making the right sleeve match the middle of the jersey and shoulder more closely (not diagonal and mainly yellow with thin grey and black lines).

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

• 3 weeks later...

If you don't like the skating penguin logo that much, maybe you could try out using their original skating penguin with scarf logo for a 3rd set instead (used in merchandise when frachise 1st started but never on official jersey - until the winter classic). could also consider try using that penguin with scarf logo without the circle and name around it with just the penguin and triangle.

Like very much how your 'Robo penguin' jerseys look. Your reworked Penguin has a lot more personality than the original 'Robo penguin'. Having the shoulders on each side continuing the pattern in the middle of the jersey (yellow on one side, grey and white stripes the other) works very well. Not sure if it would look better or worse, but have you tried making the right sleeve match the middle of the jersey and shoulder more closely (not diagonal and mainly yellow with thin grey and black lines).

Great idea.

Updated Logo:

I'll never be able to look at the Robo-Pen the same way again after fixing some of the flaws. The angles of the head and neck have been altered so that it follows the triangular symmetry. Here's a side by side.

iPEN_zps832d08b6.png

Great idea.

Updated Logo:

I'll never be able to look at the Robo-Pen the same way again after fixing some of the flaws. The angles of the head and neck have been altered so that it follows the triangular symmetry. Here's a side by side.

iPEN_zps832d08b6.png

not usually a fan of new looks, Penguins with the robo-pen got it right. I love it.

Archived