Bizarre/Unusual Numbers on Jerseys

kloo

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, insert name said:

"1998"

I'm old. 

I thought that, but I also thought that means it's only a few years from now until the birth year number convention gives us traditional numbers; that's kind of exciting. 99 is out. 00 is out because the NHL isn't Y2K compliant. Then we'll start getting 1s and 2s.

41 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I thought that, but I also thought that means it's only a few years from now until the birth year number convention gives us traditional numbers; that's kind of exciting. 99 is out. 00 is out because the NHL isn't Y2K compliant. Then we'll start getting 1s and 2s.

That's just making me feel more old.

XM4KeeA.png

Birth year or not, I don't like that Jesse Puljujarvi is using that number.  He may have been the 3rd pick overall, but he hasn't done anything in the league, yet.  I'm kinda old school in that I think the high numbers should be reserved for the truly great players.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/20/2016 at 5:45 PM, M4One said:

I'm kinda old school in that I think the high numbers should be reserved for the truly great players.

It's crazy that this is the convention in the NHL, because in just about every other sport, the lower numbers are generally considered more relevant. Like in MLB, players that are assigned numbers in the 80s-90s are pretty much only minor leaguers who have no chance at making the club and get those numbers in spring training. 

ClAFLDa.png

On 9/11/2016 at 11:50 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

0 looks gimmicky. Total look-at-me number. 

True, but what number doesn't?  So 23 doesn't look gimmicky, not a look-at-me number?  Players want to feel special, unique and stand out.  Easier to stand out, actually make an impression and make the cut if you wear something that stands out.  LeBron could make zero his, and it wouldn't be gimmicky because he could back it up, but he chose 23.  Others choose a number and try to make it theirs.  Kobe doesn't want to be the next Jordan; he wants to be the first Kobe, but if anyone else picks 23, 24, 32, 33, 55 and so on will never be thought of as the best wearing that number, so they wear something else.  They're in the NBA, NHL, MLB, NASCAR, et cetera; they are already in the spotlight.  They WANT people to look at them, and associate that number with them, be it zero or a number like 58, 59, 64, 69, 74, 75, 78-82, 87 or 97, none of which have been worn in a regular season game (according to BasketballReference.com).  Heck, I still know Benito Santiago wore number 09 for the Padres.  Now THAT's a look at me number.

Legendary São Paulo keeper Rogelio Ceni wore 01 for a good part of his career

Rogerio-Ceni.jpg

meanwhile, at Chievo (the same team where De Guzman, a midfielder, is wearing 1) Christian Lupatelli used to wear 10 as a GKLupatelli-10.jpg

Meanwhile, another Italian GK, Marco Fortin, wore 14. Yes, pronounced practically the same way

francesco-totti-of-as-roma-shoots-agains

07Giants.pngnyy.png

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Bibby hasn't been mentioned here yet.  He wore 00 for his two games as a Washington Wizard.  Behold his entire Wizards playing career, in two pictures:

ea61e415f07bb35b9ab523bfa5f33de7.jpg

Washington+Wizards+v+Miami+Heat+566mb6WK7xnl.jpg

As a complete sidenote, I remember CSN Washington doing a faux-farewell montage of Bibby's two-game stint with the Wizards, as if he had played on the team for decades, when his contact got bought out and he went to Miami.  They made a whole video with this sad/honorable music, slow-motion footage from his two games playing with them and locker room interview footage, and voiceovers summarizing his time with the team, with a screen that said something like "Thank You Mike Bibby 2011-2011" with a fade-to-black at the end.  It was actually pretty funny, it looked like something right out of "Cheap Seats."  I just remember being surprised that they put in the effort to make something like that, but then I realized how bad the Wizards sucked at the time and figured they had nothing better to do.

There Need to be more 1s, in every sport. Some hockey man should have the balls to wear it as a forward.  QBs or WRs should have it in NFL. 

2 is the worst number in every sport but hockey.  You look like a little leaguer in 2. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

There Need to be more 1s, in every sport. Some hockey man should have the balls to wear it as a forward.  QBs or WRs should have it in NFL. 

2 is the worst number in every sport but hockey.  You look like a little leaguer in 2. 

WRs can only be 10-19 and 80-89.

19 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Under current numbering rules, yes, but he said should. I would like to see a WR wear any single-digit number, myself.

Given number retirements, eventually teams will have very few available numbers in a given range. And it would be wise to maybe adopt more sane policy. Such as 1-49 & 80-89 for offense (all positions), and 50-79 & 90-99 for defensive players (all positions). 60/40 split between offense and defense.

You start running into the New York Yankees problem with numbering. Especially with teams that have 50+ players (many, many more during off-season and preseason). By Super Bowl CCL, they're probably going to have alien numbers, though.

1 hour ago, stumpygremlin said:

I'm curious. Do you guys practice with/scrimmage against/play against the NCAA team? I've always wondered how schools that have both ACHA and NCAA teams relate to each other.

Oh absolutely not the only time we see them is when they practice or play before us

Amir Johnson wears #90 for the Celtics, even though he wore 15 last year in Toronto.  Image result for amir johnson

As a general rule, I don't think basketball players should wear numbers above the 50's (with a few possible exceptions for numbers like 99)

Archived