Bizarre/Unusual Numbers on Jerseys

kloo

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With McElhinney being picked up by the Leafs, is this the first time in NHL history that a team has dressed two goaltenders wearing numbers in the 70s?

Bobrovsky

cropped_2016-12-28T033746Z_1885201932_NO

Korpisalo:

Joonas-Korpisalo.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On May 20, 2014 at 7:22 PM, crlachepinochet said:

Assuming the site I found was right, there's only one number that has been worn by only one person in the NHL: Brian Lawton #98

C4S_lawtonjump08020_32788c.jpeg

bos_g_lawton1x_400.jpg

On May 20, 2014 at 8:10 PM, Orgo said:

Once the kids born in 1998 start playing we'll see a lot more, I guess.

Dang, I'm getting old.

615060754.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=620

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

My favorite player as a kid. Always wore #96 playing hockey growing up and still do to this day because of him--Nov612_BureMogilny_b_slide.jpg

At the start of the 1995–96 season, Bure changed his jersey number from 10 to 96. The switch commemorated the day on which he first landed in North America from Moscow, on September 6, 1991 (9th month, 6th day). He had originally requested to wear the number when he first joined the Canucks, but was not permitted by head coach Pat Quinn, who did not approve of high jersey numbers.[82] After the Canucks made a deal with the Buffalo Sabres to reunite Bure with Alexander Mogilny, the jersey number was deemed acceptable because of Mogilny's number 89

3 hours ago, bowld said:

My favorite player as a kid. Always wore #96 playing hockey growing up and still do to this day because of him--Nov612_BureMogilny_b_slide.jpg

At the start of the 1995–96 season, Bure changed his jersey number from 10 to 96. The switch commemorated the day on which he first landed in North America from Moscow, on September 6, 1991 (9th month, 6th day). He had originally requested to wear the number when he first joined the Canucks, but was not permitted by head coach Pat Quinn, who did not approve of high jersey numbers.[82] After the Canucks made a deal with the Buffalo Sabres to reunite Bure with Alexander Mogilny, the jersey number was deemed acceptable because of Mogilny's number 89

Interesting that there are at least three high numbers related to the Soviets. Mogilny defected in 1989, Bure's 96, and Jagr's 68 commemorates the Prague Spring in 1968.

8 hours ago, nash61 said:
On 5/20/2014 at 7:22 PM, crlachepinochet said:

Assuming the site I found was right, there's only one number that has been worn by only one person in the NHL: Brian Lawton #98

C4S_lawtonjump08020_32788c.jpeg

bos_g_lawton1x_400.jpg

On 5/20/2014 at 8:10 PM, Orgo said:

Once the kids born in 1998 start playing we'll see a lot more, I guess.

Dang, I'm getting old.

615060754.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=620

Deep cut, man.

On 1/29/2017 at 11:08 PM, McTuna said:

Amir Johnson wears #90 for the Celtics, even though he wore 15 last year in Toronto.  Image result for amir johnson

As a general rule, I don't think basketball players should wear numbers above the 50's (with a few possible exceptions for numbers like 99)

Why would 99 be an exception? It's annoying as heck to see on the court/baseball diamond.

9 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I want to see a star wear #0. A pitcher, catcher, third baseman or center fielder, preferably.

A star has worn no. 0.

al oliver.jpg

And he played a little centre field.

In fact, the Rangers had two centre fielders with no. 0.

Image result for oddibe mcdowell rangers 0

Also, it suprises me that the Dodgers had a number 0 before the Braves did.

download (2).jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

A star has worn no. 0.

al oliver.jpg

And he played a little centre field.

In fact, the Rangers had two centre fielders with no. 0.

Image result for oddibe mcdowell rangers 0

Also, it suprises me that the Dodgers had a number 0 before the Braves did.

Huh. Learn new things every day, I guess.

So, I'd like to see a star AGAIN wear #0, and preferably see a team wear baby blue roads again, too. (No pullovers though.)

• 4 weeks later...

Delon Wright of the Toronto Raptors wears #55... not a bizarre number in and of itself for an NBA player, but a seemingly bizarre number for a guard.  There aren't all that many NBA players who wear numbers in the 50s (relatively speaking) but of the ones I can think almost all are huge guys who play power forward or center, not guards.

delon-wright-nba-toronto-raptors-denver-nuggets.jpg

Archived