Bizarre/Unusual Numbers on Jerseys

kloo

4ea8b6e2c5367_124937n.jpg

To me personally this was bizarre in 1996. At one point receivers in the teens were nothing out of the ordinary...Alworth, Maynard, Charlie Joiner. But by now that had long faded away and aside from an oddity here and there (Jim Jensen, who started out as a QB and got to keep 11) receivers wore numbers in the 80's. The only way you could choose a # in the teens was if all numbers in the 80's were already filled. Such was the case with the wretched 1996 Jets. So Keyshawn settled on 19 and kept it. 

Despite the league history, I have never gotten used to wideouts wearing these numbers. I would personally rather have them choose 1-9 if nothing in the 80's is available...or even numbers in the 20's like Cliff Branch and Bob Hayes

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Puck said:

tre_yzerman03.jpg

Because some guy named Steve wore 19.

That's also why Joe Thornton wears 97 and Jonathan Toews wears 16 for team Canada. 

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

13 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

I bet it's been posted, but Joe Sakic wore #91 at the Olympics.

3520592_orig.jpg?265

C'mon, there's really only one way to show Sakic wearing 91 at the Olympics...

joe-sakic-2002_e_1340px-e1482439186511.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• 2 months later...

The East Fremantle team that plays in the Western Australian Women's Football League features several players with very high numbers on their jerseys - #67, #70, #73 and #98. The #98 is the highest number that I have ever seen on an Australian rules jumper.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:30 AM, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

4ea8b6e2c5367_124937n.jpg

To me personally this was bizarre in 1996. At one point receivers in the teens were nothing out of the ordinary...Alworth, Maynard, Charlie Joiner. But by now that had long faded away and aside from an oddity here and there (Jim Jensen, who started out as a QB and got to keep 11) receivers wore numbers in the 80's. The only way you could choose a # in the teens was if all numbers in the 80's were already filled. Such was the case with the wretched 1996 Jets. So Keyshawn settled on 19 and kept it. 

Despite the league history, I have never gotten used to wideouts wearing these numbers. I would personally rather have them choose 1-9 if nothing in the 80's is available...or even numbers in the 20's like Cliff Branch and Bob Hayes

From what I heard, he originally wanted number 89.

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:57 PM, slapshot said:

Just noticed this...if you look in the bottom right corner, you will see an apartment building in the far background. I lived in that building for 11 years.

The Smackdown Hotel, Room #316.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived