kloo

Bizarre/Unusual Numbers on Jerseys

446 posts in this topic

Any soccer player wearing a number above 40 looks strange to me. Hell, above 30 even.

1 person likes this

tazjersey_zps978608e3.jpg

/thread

1 person likes this

What about Bill Goldberg in The Longest Yard?

MV5BMTcwMTkxMTg3M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzk1OTQzMw@@._V1._SX640_SY427_.jpg

Is it just me or are NBA players wearing more single digit numbers then before. 15-20 years ago major numbers were 23, 32, 33, 42, while now many many more single digit numbers are worn. I even spotted few times all 5 players on the court wore single digit numbers (Knicks, Celtics, Clippers, Suns...)

1 person likes this

This isn't totally bizarre persay, but Juwan Howard wore #5 with the Wizards and 10 years later so did Josh Howard. Which allowed my Juwan Howard jersey to become a Josh Howard jersey for one season.

Same last name, same number, same team, same uniforms... that's at least a little bizarre/unique, i think

2001-01-23-howard_display_image.jpg?1297814144Dwyane+Wade+Josh+Howard+Washington+Wizards+lOmWHYGZyBAl.jpg

1 person likes this

00 really isn't all that uncommon of a number in baseball or basketball. In fact it's practically ubiquitous at the high school and college levels of basketball due to schools being discouraged (or even forbidden, the the case of the NCAA) from issuing any jerseys that feature an individual number higher than 5 (i.e. 10 or 53 is allowed, but not 17 or 46).

I don't really follow NCCA basketball, but am surprised that I had no idea that this was a rule!

On the "+", is that actually a team sanctioned letter on their jersey? Surely the stats sheet, etc. still lists them as 18 and 19, respectively?

And another "Colt 45":

colt-king-rapid-city-rush.jpg

Haha this has turned into "Who wears "0" or "00" thread"

ronaldo_99.jpg

090817105756_sp_ardiles_getty_226x170.jpg

Unusual GK #1 for a midfielder

dumba55.jpg

Haha That's a great find!

I don't get it??

This is a bit of a tangent (to "amusingly appropriate numbers), but how about Jordin Tootoo wearing 22

Or Joseph Forte wearing number Forty

This is why I was disappointed that former DC United midfielder Santino Quaranta never wore no. 40, as "quaranta" means "forty" in Italian.

On a related note, it would have been cool if former Liverpool goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek had worn no. 20, as "dudek" means "twenty" in Esperanto; but I didn't really expect that (even if both Dudek and the founder of Esperanto, L.L. Zamenhof, were from Poland).

Has any team ever SIMULTANEOUSLY had a '0' and '00'? The Celtics have had numerous '0's since Parish's number was retired (Walter McCarty, Leon Powe, currently Avery Bradley)

The 1985 Toronto Blue Jays had numbers 0 and 00 at the same time. Al Oliver wore no. 0; Cliff Johnson wore no. 00.

This isn't totally bizarre [per se], but Juwan Howard wore #5 with the Wizards and 10 years later so did Josh Howard. Which allowed my Juwan Howard jersey to become a Josh Howard jersey for one season.

Same last name, same number, same team, same uniforms... that's at least a little bizarre/unique, i think

Both Cliff Johnson and Randy Johnson wore no. 41 with the Yankees. (I hereby become the first person ever to achieve two Cliff Johnson mentions in a single post.)

Both Jack Clark and Will Clark wore no. 22 with the Giants. But they wore different style unis; so no Jack Clark jersey could double as a Will Clark jersey.

Joe Sakic wore 88

8431883331_f3528f201d.jpg

... as well as Owen Nolan

8432974382_1b7f1174e0.jpg

lol when the drafted Lindros did they have a bunch if those made? Seems like such an number to give a rookie

206105_zpsfb68d30d.jpg

All the whole numbers were retired!

1 person likes this

Joe Sakic wore 88

... as well as Owen Nolan

lol when the drafted Lindros did they have a bunch if those made? Seems like such an number to give a rookie

Well, it was 1988.

00 really isn't all that uncommon of a number in baseball or basketball. In fact it's practically ubiquitous at the high school and college levels of basketball due to schools being discouraged (or even forbidden, the the case of the NCAA) from issuing any jerseys that feature an individual number higher than 5 (i.e. 10 or 53 is allowed, but not 17 or 46).

I don't really follow NCCA basketball, but am surprised that I had no idea that this was a rule!

Yea, it's to make things easier on the officials since it allows them to use their hands to indicate a players' number. That's why a lot of high school associations adopted it as well.

1 person likes this

There was a little trend at AC Milan of players wearing their birth years. Ronaldinho, Andriy Shevchenko, and Mathieu Flamini started this when they took nos. 80, 76, and 84, respectively, in 2008. Their current star striker Stephan El Shaarawy has continued this by taking no. 92; and newly-acquired defender Christian Zaccardo has followed his lead by taking no. 81.

NHL Goalie numbers

317626_display_image.jpg?1302198511

Darren Puppa

dm_130131_nhl_penguins_rangers_highlight.jpg

Tomas Vokoun

56485060.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD8671DDFE1CAB6E7A102B6C08DA9E9F091742C9BED056B3C3

Nikolai Khabibulin

hextall.jpg

Ron Hextall

Is Sergei Bobrovsky the second best goalie to ever wear 72?

3694DZJ.jpg

Why ?

Seems like a pretty stupid rule

It allows referees to signal player numbers with hand gestures to the scorers table.

1 person likes this

After playing many seasons in my city in the Colonial Hockey League, Mel Angelstad worked his way up to 2 games in the NHL.

1st time an NHL player used #69 in a regular season game.

040404angelstad.jpg