Bizarre/Unusual Numbers on Jerseys

kloo

I never thought a QB wearing a number in the 20s was unusual at all. I think its pretty dope and I hope that finds its way to the pros.

Doug Flutie wore #20 with the Calgary Stampeders in the CFL

stampsflutie.png

I have to say that players, especially goalies (hockey), wearing non-traditional numbers drives me crazy. Most of the younger players are choosing "training camp" jersey numbers these days. Small gripe, I know, but I think it looks stupid to see goalies outside of numbers 1 and 30-39.

Ken Dryden wore 29 and Gilles Meloche wore #27.

Sammy Baugh, the father of the forward pass wore #33 at QB. He also punted and played defensive back.

nfl_g_baugh_576.jpg

87Redskins.png

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In rugby, starting players are numbered 1-15 based on position. Backups are numbered 16 and up.

And as far as recent QBs wearing numbers higher than 19, here are two more:

Heath Shuler:

HS2.jpg

Jared Lorenzen, the "hefty lefty":

2643184_display_image.jpg?1305602995

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

What can I say? I'm an inner city kid born in the 80s. I say stuff like that from time to time.

Late 80s kid here. Nothing wrong with saying "dope". I use it in my everyday life too. Some people here are just mad old.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Haha this has turned into "Who wears "0" or "00" thread"

090817105756_sp_ardiles_getty_226x170.jpg

Unusual GK #1 for a midfielder

For the 1978 World Cup finals, Argentina decided to give numbers based on the alphabetical order of their players, hence Ossie Ardiles played with #1.

And starting goalie Ubaldo "El Pato" Fillol wore No. 5; Argentina did the same thing for the 1982 World Cup and Fillol wore No. 7 (save for Diego Maradona; he was assigned his usual No. 10 regardless of the alphabet).

Yeah the lightning's new batch of players this season were almost all in the 60s and 70s for that reason.

I know there's a infographic by flip flop fly ball where he charted the projected year the Yankees run out of numbers due to them getting retired, so that migt answer the triple digit question

• 2 weeks later...

Jared Lorenzen, the "hefty lefty":

2643184_display_image.jpg?1305602995

Any number under 20 wasn't big enough for Lorenzen.

Also, Otto Graham wore #60 for the Browns. Or has that been mentioned already?

otto_graham_1952_01_01.jpg

IIRC, they had a running back for the Browns that wore 59 back then (remembered it from NFL Films). I wish somebody today would let a quarterback to wear a number like 60. That could be something special. I think it gets a little tiresome for anybody to wear 1-19 at quarterback all the time!!

• 2 weeks later...

What about pitchers with single digit numbers? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Saw one at a college game last weekend and thought it was odd.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

What about pitchers with single digit numbers? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Saw one at a college game last weekend and thought it was odd.

Kyle Drabek wears (wore?) 4 for the Blue Jays, and Josh Towers wore 7 with the Jays a few seasons ago. But yeah, on both occasions, I remember commentators making a bit of a big deal about it.

image.jpg

josh-towers-sanford-getty.jpg

In today's NFL a large ballcarrier wearing #76 would be a defensive lineman running back a fumble. This is the Browns' great RB Marion Motley.

motley.jpg

He looks very large in a lot of the pics he's in but I guess the average player was smaller then because he was 6'1" and 235 lbs.

And to state the obvious, these older pics are only bizarre or unusual to us, certainly not to fans at the time since there were no numbering conventions then.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Kyle Drabek wears (wore?) 4 for the Blue Jays, and Josh Towers wore 7 with the Jays a few seasons ago. But yeah, on both occasions, I remember commentators making a bit of a big deal about it.

image.jpg

josh-towers-sanford-getty.jpg

Atlee Hammaker of the Giants was wearing no. 7 when he gave up the first (and, as of my retirement as a follower of current baseball, only) grand slam in All-Star Game history to Fred Lynn in 1983.

Unfortunately, I can't find a picture of that moment that shows Hammaker. And any of his baseball cards that show his number show him wearing no. 14.

EDIT: No he didn't. Smzimbabwe shows below that Hammaker wore no. 14 in that All-Star Game. He wore no. 7 in 1985.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

In today's NFL a large ballcarrier wearing #76 would be a defensive lineman running back a fumble. This is the Browns' great RB Marion Motley.

motley.jpg

He looks very large in a lot of the pics he's in but I guess the average player was smaller then because he was 6'1" and 235 lbs.

6'1 is still pretty damn big for a running back these days anyways.

Atlee Hammaker of the Giants was wearing no. 7 when he gave up the first (and, as of my retirement as a follower of current baseball, only) grand slam in All-Star Game history to Fred Lynn in 1983.

Unfortunately, I can't find a picture of that moment that shows Hammaker. And any of his baseball cards that show his number show him wearing no. 14.

This is the MLB highlight video of the play, he's wearing 14.

http://mlb.mlb.com/v...tent_id=9215981

This is the MLB highlight video of the play, he's wearing 14.

http://mlb.mlb.com/v...tent_id=9215981

Oops! Right you are. Sorry about that; and thanks for the correction.

I should have done better research on that before posting. I now learn that he wore no. 7 in 1985.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

WilfPaiement_display_image.jpg?1287755426

Wilf Paiemont.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived