Vintage College Mascot Logos

hettinger_rl

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found an awesome hat in a thrift store in Nashville. Just looked it up...it's apparently Winston Salem State.

1373900_10101369685516425_653780305_o.jp

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

• 2 weeks later...

I may be in the minority, but it makes me sad colleges (and some pros) have moved away from the cartoonish mascots. The often dry, angry mascots that have replaced them are far more boring IMHO. The cartoons make me smile, and are also aesthetically pleasing, to my eye at least.

I think at the core of my issue, is they represent a team playing a game. It's for the fans' amusement and shouldn't have to be taken so seriously. But I guess in the masculine world of sports and athletes, they're perceived as too soft or goofy. There is definitely a place for the angry/tough logos, and the regal-crest logos, but I love the cartoon ones, and hope we some make a come back, or others preserved.

A particular sore spot for me was Sparky. AZ State's dumping of Sparky was a sad day for me. I thought they had one of the best identities in college. The pitchfork ruined the identity, and made it bland and forgettable.

I may be in the minority, but it makes me sad colleges (and some pros) have moved away from the cartoonish mascots. The often dry, angry mascots that have replaced them are far more boring IMHO. The cartoons make me smile, and are also aesthetically pleasing, to my eye at least.

I think at the core of my issue, is they represent a team playing a game. It's for the fans' amusement and shouldn't have to be taken so seriously. But I guess in the masculine world of sports and athletes, they're perceived as too soft or goofy. There is definitely a place for the angry/tough logos, and the regal-crest logos, but I love the cartoon ones, and hope we some make a come back, or others preserved.

A particular sore spot for me was Sparky. AZ State's dumping of Sparky was a sad day for me. I thought they had one of the best identities in college. The pitchfork ruined the identity, and made it bland and forgettable.

I have kinda the opposite take. I like it to look a bit serious.

I think schools should have mascot logos like Sparky, the KU Jayhawk, etc. (BUT I really, really do not think those logos look good on helmets).

Some of these retro caricatures could look good in small doses (i.e., not used on the field/court, but on some merchandise) but the real issue I have is the mascots that look the same from school-to-school (like the bear with the little hat). I'd hope each would have a unique design.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I agree, the older ones have a certain charm and reflect a sense of humor.

LehQRaC.png

I feel like they also reflect a youthfulness that can be associated with being in college and remind us of a time when people in collge were completely behind their school.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

I feel like they also reflect a youthfulness that can be associated with being in college and remind us of a time when people in collge were completely behind their school.

The older versions aren't as slick and streamlined as the logos that come out these days, many of which I like, but feel like they've come off an artistic assembly line. The older graphics have a more individual identity, even the ones produced by companies like Angelus Pacific have a regionalized feel because college sports were very regionalized in the days before ESPN.

FsQiF2W.png

Archived