Vintage College Mascot Logos

hettinger_rl

A few old pennants:

$_57.JPG

That's not an official Wittenberg logo - it's a Red Ball pennant. They made a whole series of mini pennants in the 1930s, using their own graphics:

redball_colleges.jpg

They did colleges and pro baseball, again with graphics of their own design.

redballpennant_majors16.jpgredballpennant_minors.jpg

I love these pennants. Most were tiny, although they made 30-inch versions of the big league pennants at least.

1936-37_RedBall_pennant_front.jpg

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"When Art Evans of the Angleus Pacific Company designed a Badger logo for Brown’s Bookstore, he created two different designs: the turtleneck version that became standard, and this fellow wearing a beanie and carrying a pennant." WAA Badger Insider spring '14 issue:

Buckybeaniepennantcopy_zpsaa29d0b6.png

6f464e55-6abd-4e92-8ed3-55294054cd9a_zps4cb745f0-396d-406b-aa2d-41a0409c5d7a_zps21dbccf3-aad2-4b7e-8950-645ef30f9d11_zps

• 2 weeks later...

So this...

ejc6kj.jpg

plus this...

33o1vcy.jpg

equals this?

2r38dqw.jpg

Maine used this from the '40s until '80s, but didn't really phase it out until the late '90s. I've personally asked the athletic department to adopt it as a vintage alternate with no avail quite yet. The new AD likes the idea, though, partially because he comes from UNC.

A few old pennants:

That's not an official Wittenberg logo - it's a Red Ball pennant. They made a whole series of mini pennants in the 1930s, using their own graphics:

They did colleges and pro baseball, again with graphics of their own design.

redballpennant_majors16.jpgredballpennant_minors.jpg

What's the guyon the Reds' pennant supposed to be? And how many of these teams actually used anything close to an official logo back then, other than marks used on caps/uniforms? Review of the mothership indicates that the separate logos started to appear late 20s and 30s. It tends to list isolated letters for logos earlier than that...I guess what's old is new again, yuck, back to an age where logos don't exist, just letters from ballcaps. (Better than Chief Wahoo though.)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a vector of this image?

My brother in law is a Lehigh grad and I would love to make him something with this.

Thanks!

Back when Lehigh University was known as the Engineers (as they had a great Engineering program).

engineerb.jpg

engineero.jpg

Does anyone else think of Falcor from The Neverending Story when you see this?

Southern Illinois Saluki

old-school-dawg.gif

Oh how I love this! I have never seen this particular Bobcat logo. It would look wonderful in my collection = ).

I have some neat vintage Ohio Bobcat items that I will have to share once I finish unpacking. Have a nice piece from the 1968 Tangerine Bowl.

Here's a very cool old Ohio Bobcats logo pasted to an old brown jug:

jqjzFpk.jpg

AISHURg.jpg

This is probably our dopiest mascot short of what was the actual costumed mascot from the late 90's-2000's.

Here's a nice article/gallery with some historic images: http://www.ohioalumni.org/bobcats-mascots.

Not sure with this Ohio Bobcat is up to

59b269715e81a7ae5967d39bdf9cf92bd92ba571

Archived