Vintage College Mascot Logos

hettinger_rl

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use the img and /img tags (in brackets) or look for the picture icon in your toolbar.

What was the reason given for UWM changing to the Panthers? I understand dropping red and white, but what was wrong with the name?

They became the Cardinals when they joined the UW system, and they probably didn't think it made much sense to keep that name without the colors.

BqVfOw2kKGrHqIOKjYEuf9B9ZzcBLvS7oECb_35.jpg

The change was probably rooted in the idea the university needed its own identity as it had just recently gotten its first student union and the football team had left the Wisconsin State College Conference (now the WIAC) with the intention of forming an "Urban Midwest" conference (which never materialized).

Now as far as WHY black & gold and Panthers were chosen... aside from being choices in a UWM Post poll that students voted for in the spring of 1963, I'm not sure there really is an explanation. Frankly, I think it was a mistake not to just go back to the Green Gulls identity, but I'm sure the new colors and mascot were seen as a sign of "progress" at the time.

Now THAT'S interesting.... was there any reason given for that?

Partly new owners wanting to put their stamp on the team. Possibly relating to Prohibition, but I'm not comfortable saying that yet. The Volstead Act was introduced early in that year, so the timing at least is notable.

I haven't finished researching it. It'll be a blog post when I'm done - I'll let you know.

Here's a Green Wave you don't see much. He looks like a St. Patty's day beer spilling out:

KLHYA7W.jpg

He does look green and foamy. He should also get a better grip on that ball, he's about to lose it.

FsQiF2W.png

Archived