Canucks to honour the Vancouver Millionaires

randyc

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If someone didn't already realize the Canucks played in Vancouver, you shold really know now as it'll say "Vancouver" two times on the front of the jersey.

The release said they'll wear the V patch on the front of their third jerseys, which has the stick-in-rink on the front, right?

Why couldn't they have just done this?

0201-van-millionaires.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1359744391213

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12,Β POTD 2/26/17

Β 

If someone didn't already realize the Canucks played in Vancouver, you shold really know now as it'll say "Vancouver" two times on the front of the jersey.

The release said they'll wear the V patch on the front of their third jerseys, which has the stick-in-rink on the front, right?

Ahh yes, true enough. Still not totally awake!

The Millionaires Reebok jersey above is interesting. Seems like it would be something the Canucks would wear for a Heritage Classic-type game.

First time I've seen any pictures of that.

8prlQWA.png

Not sure the history behind the Vancouver Millionaire name, but coming off a lockout, even the mention of players being millionaires seems in poor taste to the fans.

Well they are the only Vancouver-based team to have won a Stanley Cup....

shop-window-1.jpg

I'd do a white patch with blue letters.

This one's a bit out of the blue, since we've never seen any rumblings of it here. Does any NHL team have to submit whatever uniforms they plan to wear during the regular season before actually being allowed to play in them? (Or was that the NFL or something?)

I recall that the Leafs once wore the Ballard designs during warmups for some reason.

725735456.jpg?key=324800&Expires=1359745153&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=g~eYcMMuAMv3WkznDznJ7tD1oHo3lr5BxMCSzlbUq4un0R2lFZ9OE~7onIcLF-H~5Pqv~okTNkDzItfIqpgDw-2oKspF1-OwARG9V-yCdUUNrQVkwsHT4H-ox7m~DXBU474ir3Gd27U3skKIsWbUFc4Uzhr1iuXCelhM~eIK~uI_

The shells for the pants look too shiny. Kinda like the shorts boxers wear in bouts.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

My guess is they will wear them March 16th vs the Red Wings as the last paragraph mentions that game as when the Millionaires will be honoured "in-game."

EDIT - Canucks twitter says they'll be worn later this season, so there we go.

8prlQWA.png

Not sure the history behind the Vancouver Millionaire name, but coming off a lockout, even the mention of players being millionaires seems in poor taste to the fans.

Heh heh heh. :lol:

I believe the origin of the name came from the fact that many of these guys had played earlier for the Renfrew Creamery Kings who were sarcastically dubbed "Millionaires" by the press in other cities because the owner (Ambrose O'Brien, a gent that had a reputation for having more money then he knew what to do with) signed a group of all star players to essentially buy himself a Stanley Cup championship in 1909/10 and 1910/11. (They failed)

Most of the guys (Patrick brothers, Cyclone Taylor etc) came over from that team in 1911/12 to Vancouver.

52_1.jpg

The Catch of the Day!

Well they are the only Vancouver-based team to have won a Stanley Cup....

Explains it. It's not so easy seeing Cups won in LA, Boston and Chicago, so the only remnants of any title the Canucks can look is in the very distant past.

*tries to give Vancouver fans a hug of sympathy*

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12,Β POTD 2/26/17

Β 

The use of the silver stitching in the patch, a logo which is otherwise clearly one-color, makes me wonder if there aren't further plans for this logo somewhere.

Could we see this look incorporated into the Canucks full-time look?

Rink-in-stick goes primary, V goes secondary, orca goes away? Would Johnny Canuck stick around?

Could we see a blue (or better, green) and white version of that jersey?

Too many questions yet. This one-off thing isn't done much, and Vancouver has been allowed to do it once already. Makes me wonder if it's really market research for future ideas.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived