Pro Teams' "Entrance Music"

illwauk

Yesterday, the 49ers coming out to "California Love" sparked a lively conversation at our party about the music teams' use to pump themselves up at the start of the game and figured it'd be cool to hear the thoughts of the CCSLC.

*I'm putting this in the Sports Logos folder because a lot of what teams use is informed by their visual identity, but if the mods feel it's more appropriate elsewhere, I won't be mad.

Anyway, I thought California Love was an inappropriate song for the Niners. A song about unity between California cities seems a little ironic for a team that plays against teams from other California cities (and it's by OAKLAND'S most famous rapper).

The Packers, for all their history, really ought to still be using a live band (Bring back the Limberjacks!) if for no other reason than their taste in modern popular music really, really sucks... is there any "jock jam" more generic and overplayed than "Get Ready For This?"

Despite what I feel about the organization as a Packers fan, I must say I'm envious of what the Vikings come out to. I'm not the biggest Zeppelin fan, but they couldn't have chosen anything more appropriate than a song about actual Vikings ("Immingrant Song").

EDIT: Removed youtube links because of bugs.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most notable example I can think of is the Vancouver Canucks coming out the opening instrumental bars of "Where the Streets Have No Name" by U2. However, I heard on a TV broadcast earlier this season they are attempting to switch that up this year.

None of the other teams I follow have entrance songs that have really stuck. Most just pick a catchy song that's popular at the moment.

The Pats play Intro to Carmina Burana directly followed by Crazy Train. The place goes crazy when the team runs out as Ozzie is screaming "all aboard."

The last I knew, the Bruins skated out to the Warrior's Code by the Dropkick Murphy's.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I hate how some teams just just use a modern catchy song or a generic rock song thats overplayed at sporting events like Kickstart my Heart (Mötley Crüe), that Wolfmother song, or Thunderstruck (AC/DC)". I always thought it'd be epic for a team to enter to an underused but still badass heavy metal song. For example, Raining Blood (Slayer), The Hellion/Electric Eye (Judas Priest), or Creeping Death (Metallica) Rooster (Alice in Chains) or hell even Those Damn Blue Collar Tweekers (Primus) would be songs I'd love to see used

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

I don't know if they come out to it but I know a song I really despise, Stand Up and Get Crunk, is played a lot at Saints games.

As for entrance music, there can't be anything cooler than Oakland coming out to the NFL Films song The Raiders. That song is awesome.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The single best entrance in all of college football:

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Chicago Bulls with Sirius by Alan Parsons Project...epic!

The Cornhuskers use Siruis as well. I have YET to determine which team used it first, because both Husker Football and Bulls Basketball were massive dynasties in the 1990s.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The White Sox have had the same things since 2004. They show an intro video (which they tweak each year) featuring a song from Last of the Mohicans, followed by "He's a Pirate" from Pirates of the Carribean. At the end of that song they go into "Thunderstruck" and call the players names as they run out onto the field.

After victories, they played "Sweet Home Chicago" from 2005 midway into 2006, at which point they started playing random pop songs or whatever song was currently sponsoring MLB. I wish they went back to that. It was a nice take-off of the Yankees' playing of "New York, New York."

OldRomanSig2.jpg

One example of a team changing with the times is the Windsor Spitfires of the OHL, who are using Bangarang by Skrillex

Still seems like Rock music and hockey would go hand in hand, but if you ask players and fans, you would probably see a shift in preference to pop/house/rap.

This is especially evident in warmups these days - where players get to pick the music.

It's been years since the song has been in regular rotation, but Detroit's "Hey Hey Hockeytown" is horribly corny but yet I still enjoy it - reminds me of the good times of the 90s/early 2000s.

detlogosbanner.jpg

The Blues paly the "St. Louis Blues March" and "When the Blues Go Marching In" on the organ. There was a fan revolt a few years back when they tried to use a rock version instead.

The Grizzlies are known for the variety of music they play.

http://blogs.thescore.com/tbj/2013/01/16/rocking-in-memphis-a-look-at-the-dudes-behind-the-nbas-best-in-game-music/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheBasketballJones+%28The+Basketball+Jones+%28Blog%29%29

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I believe the Miami Hurricanes football team (shocker) uses Rock You Like A Hurricane by the Scorpions

The last TB Bucs game I went to used Enter Sandman by Metallica (should use a song like Blackout by Hed PE since they are used to them down there)

I believe the Pittsburgh Pirates use Carmuna Buranna (sp) with a whole Pirate ship thing going on the scoreboard

The Pittsburgh Penguins have their own theme (I don't think it's a song of anyone's). They had a rock version of it (Boys of Winter --sounded like a Megadeth ripoff) and went back to the original theme.

KISSwall09.jpg

The Packers, for all their history, really ought to still be using a live band (Bring back the Limberjacks!) if for no other reason than their taste in modern popular music really, really sucks... is there any "jock jam" more generic and overplayed than "Get Ready For This?"

The Pack have been using that for so long now that it kind of has its charm. That said, you can't get much more cheesy, generic and mid-90's. I would wholly embrace a switch back to a live band.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

I seem to remember in Game 1 of this past World Series, the Giants came out to Jay-Z & Kanye West's "No Church in the Wild"...the Tigers came out to Soulja Boy's "Speakers Going Hammer".

Come to think of it, I think we know why Frisco swept Detroit in that Series...

bYhYmxh.png

The most notable example I can think of is the Vancouver Canucks coming out the opening instrumental bars of "Where the Streets Have No Name" by U2.

This is quite possibly the greatest intro out there. We used it last year for our starting lineups and light show for the basketball teams.

We switched it up to an instrumental version of Madeon's "Finale," which is a pretty awesome song if you ask me.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived