14 replies to this topic

#1 Coast2CoastAM2006

Coast2CoastAM2006
  • The new mascot of the New York Mets

• Members
  • 7,197 posts

• Favourite Logos:Islanders Fisherman

Posted February 7, 2013 - 11:56

basically it's an overview of base 12. There's a movement to getting base 10 systems replaced with a base 12 system. Much like in the metric system discussions, would converting to a base 12 system be reasonable? Short term it seems like it would be a nightmare but long term it seems feasible considering some of our measurements are in 12's like dozen, feet, time etc.

Islanders96.png

"I walked away from the Last Great Time War, I marked the passing of the Timelords, I saw the birth of the universe and I watched as time ran out, moment by moment until nothing remained -- no time, no space, just ME! I walked in universes where the laws of physics were devised by the mind of a mad man! And I watched universes freeze and creations burn, I have seen things you wouldn't believe, I have lost things you will never understand! And I know things, secrets that must never be told, knowledge that must never be spoken! Knowledge that will make parasite gods blaze! So come on then! Take it! Take it all baby! Have it! You have it all!"

#2 njmeadowlanders

njmeadowlanders
  • @GoldAsIce

• Members
  • 5,364 posts

• Favourite Logos:New York Mets

Posted February 7, 2013 - 18:13

Yes, 12 appears often in units of measure, but so does 10. It's too late in time to ever get humans to adopt another system. That ship sailed about a thousand years ago or so. Won't ever happen.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

#3 Breakwood

Breakwood
  • Allez l'OL!

• Members
  • 3,671 posts

Posted February 7, 2013 - 19:44

Why don't you just adopt the metric system. Its so simple you'd be foolish not to use it.
Posted Image

#4 RyanB06

RyanB06
  • I miss Michelle.

• Members
  • 2,642 posts

Posted February 7, 2013 - 20:49

Schoolhouse Rock FTW.
Posted Image

As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

#5 Mings

Mings
  • Forever suspended.

• Members
  • 11,215 posts

Posted February 7, 2013 - 21:18

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

#6 crlachepinochet

crlachepinochet
  • Nobody falls to his death like Gaston

• Members
  • 2,940 posts

Posted February 7, 2013 - 21:30

It must be nice if this is what you're most worried about.

#7 Mockba

Mockba
  • Blam.

• The Man Behind the Curtain
  • 12,788 posts

Posted February 8, 2013 - 11:27

Why does everyone presume that if someone says they don't like something, they're interested in something, or whatever, that it's what they're "most worried about"? Like, you're only allowed to have one thing on your mind ever?

SupportYourLocalClub.com | 105 years... and counting | KevinJoseph.net | Behance portfolio
POTD 2013-08-22

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

#8 crlachepinochet

crlachepinochet

• Members
  • 2,940 posts

Posted February 9, 2013 - 05:56

Why does everyone presume that if someone says they don't like something, they're interested in something, or whatever, that it's what they're "most worried about"? Like, you're only allowed to have one thing on your mind ever?

OK, poor choice of words, but it seems strange to actually propose something so radical. If it ever happened (who would even have the authority?), it would absolutely destroy the world of numbers. There would be much confusion over who was using it and when they were using it. If you see "100", there would be a lot of confusion over whether it meant 100 or 144. Just the difference between metric and imperial crashed an orbiter into Mars.

Plus, I think their new numbers are stupid.

#9 Coast2CoastAM2006

Coast2CoastAM2006

• Members
  • 7,197 posts

Posted February 9, 2013 - 10:16

OK, poor choice of words, but it seems strange to actually propose something so radical. If it ever happened (who would even have the authority?), it would absolutely destroy the world of numbers. There would be much confusion over who was using it and when they were using it. If you see "100", there would be a lot of confusion over whether it meant 100 or 144. Just the difference between metric and imperial crashed an orbiter into Mars.

think about what it would do to sports. How would you interpret current and past stats? Player numbers would be affected. Imagine choosing the number as seen on this clock:
Posted Image

Islanders96.png

"I walked away from the Last Great Time War, I marked the passing of the Timelords, I saw the birth of the universe and I watched as time ran out, moment by moment until nothing remained -- no time, no space, just ME! I walked in universes where the laws of physics were devised by the mind of a mad man! And I watched universes freeze and creations burn, I have seen things you wouldn't believe, I have lost things you will never understand! And I know things, secrets that must never be told, knowledge that must never be spoken! Knowledge that will make parasite gods blaze! So come on then! Take it! Take it all baby! Have it! You have it all!"

#10 Mockba

Mockba
  • Blam.

• The Man Behind the Curtain
  • 12,788 posts

Posted February 9, 2013 - 12:46

I can't disagree with any of that. It's bonkers.

SupportYourLocalClub.com | 105 years... and counting | KevinJoseph.net | Behance portfolio
POTD 2013-08-22

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

#11 andycumbee19

andycumbee19
  • Because your nose isn't within two inches of your NOSE...

• Members
  • 1,573 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 01:08

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

HA! John Pinette is awesome!

#12 NoHoJoe

NoHoJoe

• Members
  • 2,452 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 15:07

Hooray for New Math! New-hoo-hoo Math!
It won't do any good just to review math.
It's so simple
So very simple
That only a child could do it!!!!
BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

#13 illwauk

illwauk
  • "Hey, up yours Springfield!"

• Members
  • 6,812 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 18:44

think about what it would do to sports. How would you interpret current and past stats? Player numbers would be affected. Imagine choosing the number as seen on this clock:

IDK about anyone else, but I'd love to see guys running around with an X on their jerseys

Bucks34Tradition1_zpse4b77760.png

(Yes, I'm a Bucks fan again... provided the new owners don't find a way to f~~k this up.)

#14 Coast2CoastAM2006

Coast2CoastAM2006

• Members
  • 7,197 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 19:45

IDK about anyone else, but I'd love to see guys running around with an X on their jerseys

it is a possible short term solution if a team should ever run out of numbers and didn't want to use fractions like the New New York Mets. X, Y, 1X, 1Y, 2X, 2Y could work.

Islanders96.png

#15 crlachepinochet

crlachepinochet

• Members
  • 2,940 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 07:37

it is a possible short term solution if a team should ever run out of numbers and didn't want to use fractions like the New New York Mets. X, Y, 1X, 1Y, 2X, 2Y could work.

I could see it as an amusing one off for a minor league baseball club. Newest nerd sports fan must-have: player apparel with the numbers in binary or dozenal.

GRETZKY

JAMES

KANE