Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coast2CoastAM2006

base 12 the dozenal system

15 posts in this topic

basically it's an overview of base 12. There's a movement to getting base 10 systems replaced with a base 12 system. Much like in the metric system discussions, would converting to a base 12 system be reasonable? Short term it seems like it would be a nightmare but long term it seems feasible considering some of our measurements are in 12's like dozen, feet, time etc.

Yes, 12 appears often in units of measure, but so does 10. It's too late in time to ever get humans to adopt another system. That ship sailed about a thousand years ago or so. Won't ever happen.

Why don't you just adopt the metric system. Its so simple you'd be foolish not to use it.

1 person likes this

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

3 people like this

It must be nice if this is what you're most worried about.

Why does everyone presume that if someone says they don't like something, they're interested in something, or whatever, that it's what they're "most worried about"? Like, you're only allowed to have one thing on your mind ever?

4 people like this

Why does everyone presume that if someone says they don't like something, they're interested in something, or whatever, that it's what they're "most worried about"? Like, you're only allowed to have one thing on your mind ever?

OK, poor choice of words, but it seems strange to actually propose something so radical. If it ever happened (who would even have the authority?), it would absolutely destroy the world of numbers. There would be much confusion over who was using it and when they were using it. If you see "100", there would be a lot of confusion over whether it meant 100 or 144. Just the difference between metric and imperial crashed an orbiter into Mars.

Plus, I think their new numbers are stupid.

OK, poor choice of words, but it seems strange to actually propose something so radical. If it ever happened (who would even have the authority?), it would absolutely destroy the world of numbers. There would be much confusion over who was using it and when they were using it. If you see "100", there would be a lot of confusion over whether it meant 100 or 144. Just the difference between metric and imperial crashed an orbiter into Mars.

think about what it would do to sports. How would you interpret current and past stats? Player numbers would be affected. Imagine choosing the number as seen on this clock:

original.png

I can't disagree with any of that. It's bonkers.

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

HA! John Pinette is awesome!

Hooray for New Math! New-hoo-hoo Math!

It won't do any good just to review math.

It's so simple

So very simple

That only a child could do it!!!!

think about what it would do to sports. How would you interpret current and past stats? Player numbers would be affected. Imagine choosing the number as seen on this clock:

IDK about anyone else, but I'd love to see guys running around with an X on their jerseys

IDK about anyone else, but I'd love to see guys running around with an X on their jerseys

it is a possible short term solution if a team should ever run out of numbers and didn't want to use fractions like the New New York Mets. X, Y, 1X, 1Y, 2X, 2Y could work.

it is a possible short term solution if a team should ever run out of numbers and didn't want to use fractions like the New New York Mets. X, Y, 1X, 1Y, 2X, 2Y could work.

I could see it as an amusing one off for a minor league baseball club. Newest nerd sports fan must-have: player apparel with the numbers in binary or dozenal.

GRETZKY

JAMES

KANE