Wrestling no longer an Olympic sport starting in 2020

charger77

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weightlifting has more bribe money.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I mean it seems every year half the competitors in Weightlifting get caught juicing and the other half just used something not dectectable.It is also boring as hell. Wrestling is somewhat exciting and it is unfortunate to see the Olympics drop it.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Hey, look on the bright side. An institution that blusters about world peace still keeps Universal Soldier modern pentathlon on the program despite only being practiced by a handful of countries.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hey, look on the bright side. An institution that blusters about world peace still keeps Universal Soldier modern pentathlon on the program despite only being practiced by a handful of countries.

The fact that wrestling gets dumped (an original Olympic sport from the beginning of the modern games and from the ancient games) while pseudo sports like modern pentathlon, as well as non-sports like dressage and rhythm gymnastics are kept shows you just how :censored:ed up and out of touch the IOC really is these days.

As a former high school wrestler, this saddens me. Wrestling was one of the original core sports of the Olympics. Why keep a sport like field hockey over wrestling?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

As a former high school wrestler, this saddens me. Wrestling was one of the original core sports of the Olympics. Why keep a sport like field hockey over wrestling?

I have no issue keeping field hockey. It's a real sport with objective scoring criterion set against a clock. My issues are always with the non-sports like dressage and rhythm gymnastics. The entirely subjective sports that have nothing but a few judges producing scores out their asses.

The fact that wrestling gets dumped (an original Olympic sport from the beginning of the modern games and from the ancient games) while pseudo sports like modern pentathlon, as well as non-sports like dressage and rhythm gymnastics are kept shows you just how :censored:ed up and out of touch the IOC really is these days.

I am all for changing outdated traditions, but this just makes no sense. Wrestling is one of the few sports that really captures the essence of the Olympics. Hand to hand combat in a sport that really has no professional level (all jokes about "wrastlin'" aside). Is the sport of real wrestling just going to die? Outside of the US (College) what lofty goals are there if there are no olympics (Maybe there are some I don't know about). And golf is an olympic sport? Golf? Really? Another stage to promote millionaire professionals playing the second most popular sport in the word? A sport that does not have even a fraction of the olympic history of wrestling? Hell, I'd dump basketball and soccer before I'd dump wrestling.

I am sure it's ticket sales and TV ratings that made this decision, but it's a damn shame. I guess the olympics are on the road to being about showcasing hard-working amateurs about as much as US college sports is now.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I have no issue keeping field hockey. It's a real sport with objective scoring criterion set against a clock. My issues are always with the non-sports like dressage and rhythm gymnastics. The entirely subjective sports that have nothing but a few judges producing scores out their asses.

To be fair, Dressage is part of equestrian and rhythm gymnastics is part of Gymnastics.

You can argue to dump equestrian or gymnastics in order to save wrestling, but dropping those categories wouldn't save wrestling as a whole.

This is an absolute outrage. The Olympics would not even exist if it weren't for wrestling. Wrestling is the oldest sport in history. It is the hardest thing that anyone can compete in. Cutting weight, staying in shape, staying well rested, mental toughness. Nothing else in the world is as hard as wrestling. Preparation for a match is almost as hard as the match itself.. Who am I facing? What's his technique like? What takedowns does he use? How's his ground work? Whats my weight? Can I eat this? Oh I just won the match but didnt burn enough weight while wrestling to be good for weigh outs...time to go run. If you want to challenge me when I say "nothing else in the world is as hard as wrestling", save it. I'll believe you when you cut 13 pounds in 4 hours for a sporting competition you are involved with in 17 hours.

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

Isn't dressage just horse dancing?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Isn't dressage just horse dancing?

Pretty much. I'm surprised they haven't added straight Dancing with the Stars style dancing as an Olympic sport. They've added just about every other kind dancing and dancing like non-sports to it.

Wrestling is basically the last sport that should ever get pulled from the Olympics, aside from the track and field sports.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Summer Olympics 2040

1. Money Laundering (Italy wins gold)

2. Drive-By Shooting (USA wins gold) ---- They would drive by in a car, and shoot at targets, not people

3. Team Street Brawling (Japan wins gold)

4. UFC Fighting (Brazil wins gold)

These sports are added to better reflect modern society...and the most popular TV show that year is:

...oh wait, we already sort of have that show:

spacer.png

Archived