Seattle Pilots Hockey Concept

Sport

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I posted a concept and by while I mean in this decade.

I've wanted to tackle this concept for a long time and with the discussion that Seattle may be getting an NHL team in the near future I decided to sit down and put some ideas together.

The team: The Seattle Pilots

PilotslogoslickA_zps1cd552f4.png

PilotsUniforms_A_zpsa5ed8dfb.png

The stripes on the sleeves are intended to resemble the stripes on the sleeves of a pilot's jacket.

C+C is greatly appreciated. I think the logo is almost there, but there's something that I can't quite put my finger on and it's definitely in the face. I could use some help with that.

Thanks guys.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I've seen a better color scheme that embodies the Seattle area and still manages to retain some originality.

I agree with the above post, the crest is a bit strongin the details dept and the shape takes up an odd space on the front of the jersey being so vertical. I can tell you spent a great deal of time working out this logo and props for that but I think some simplicity and bolder linework would help it become a more solid mark.

I'm also not sure how the Vancouver fanbase would react to what looks like a vague deviation of Johnny Canuck lol but this has to be my favorite Seattle hockey concept to date

EDIT: I just noticed the Ottawa Senators might've played a part in this ;)

Midway.png

I really like it. Great colours.

I don't think the secondary logo works well on the front of the third. Just a bit too much going on.

And the stripes on the arms might need to be moved up a bit. They would likely be hidden by gloves in-game.

Awesome start though.

Yeah, that's just it. I love the jerseys, they're fantastic. The green one is a bit much, but I get that those are "Seattle's colors" and they belong there.

The primary is simply too much. As I've been getting a lot lately, it's too much illustration, not enough logo.

The problem is that I don't know how to fix that, Not my thing. Simplify? idk.

The secondary is fantastic. The Metropolitans S with wings? Genius. Looks like an airline shield. If you lose the text, the "Pilots Hockey Club" and "2013", that might be strong enough for a primary. Maybe a bigger S or smaller background shield so the S really dominates it more.

There is something truly excellent here, but it definitely needs some work, and I hope you get the C&C that will help you get there.

...though this would either be problematic with Philadelphia or make for a great rivalry. Pilots vs Flyers: The Dogfight!

...would make for a perfect AHL affiliate for the Flyers if nothing else...

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The primary is simply too much. As I've been getting a lot lately, it's too much illustration, not enough logo.

The problem is that I don't know how to fix that, Not my thing. Simplify? idk.

One thing I always did was look through a lot of the talented posters on here, notably Fraser Davidson. A lot of their logos are a bold sillouette, with highlites added in to add the details, and give you a sense of what you're looking at. He has a video of how he constructs a Gorillas logo, and I realized that his logos consist of shapes, rather than lines. Trying to follow his method really helped improve the work I created, making it more 'logo like' and less like a simple drawing of something.

Like the colors but honestly don't like the primary logo, for the same reason I don't like the Senators logo. Too many details. But many seems to like it.

The winged S works better IMHO.

A logo starring a place could create some confusion with Winnipeg.

I like the navy-teal better.

The secondary logo needs some work. Running "Seattle" through it doesn't look that good. The S should suffice to show what city it is. I'd make the S a contrasting color too.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I like the navy-teal better.

The secondary logo needs some work. Running "Seattle" through it doesn't look that good. The S should suffice to show what city it is. I'd make the S a contrasting color too.

Normally I'd agree, but that was the logo of the Seattle Metropolitans so I made the decision to keep it that way as a nod to the city's hockey history.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The navy/teal looks a whole lot better, especially with the teal third jersey. But, I really like the whole navy/green look Seattle has going. Try something in between. I've always thought that Navy with Kelly Green accents is way underused, I'd give that a shot. It's unique, but it's not all that different, know what I mean?

And the Metropolitans S is spectacular, definitely don't eliminate that.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Everything about this concept is amazing.

Thanks, but there was room for improvement.

I spent part of my sunday resculpting the jacket. I removed the zipper and brown inserts and made the overall shape smaller so the logo wasn't so vertical. I also spent some time on his face and helmet to remove superfluous details and simplified like many of you said.

The alternate logo received a touch-up as well. I decided I didn't like the 2013 underneath the S so I removed that and made the S and the wings bigger. I also added a navy outline to the shield and matched the Pilots Hockey Club text to the bombardier font that's throughout the rest of the uniform.

I'm at work right now so I'll post the updates when I get home.

PvO6ZWJ.png

u didn't consider ice pilots before doing concept

No I didn't.

And the city of Pensacola FL thanks you for that. :P

Man, this is some great stuff. Far as the "pilot" logo goes, I really can't offer any great way to help with that, except to say I don't think you even needed—the winged "S" is strong enough on its own (and would be even more so with further tweaking); however, maybe the literal pilot could make for a good secondary patch. As for the winged "S", I recommend studying various "flight wings" patches, pins, and/or emblems, to kinda ger a good warm fuzzy for different methods of rendering a truly unique and distinctive main crest. With enough (and the right) creative interpolation, I think you can come up with a standout emblem.

I love the idea of the pilot stripes on the sleeves...but, just two things: 1) First Officers get three stripes, Captains get four...don't know if that matters to you or not. And 2) it'd all pretty much be for naught anyway, because as soon ad a player puts his gloves on, that whole nifty little idea goes straight out the window (this is where practical applications can trip one up). Noe there IS a way to get around that and still achieve the same effect, and for that I have obe word for you:what EPAULETS. I trust you'll be able to figure that one out. ;)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

u didn't consider ice pilots before doing concept

No I didn't.

And the city of Pensacola FL thanks you for that. :P

Man, this is some great stuff. Far as the "pilot" logo goes, I really can't offer any great way to help with that, except to say I don't think you even needed—the winged "S" is strong enough on its own (and would be even more so with further tweaking); however, maybe the literal pilot could make for a good secondary patch. As for the winged "S", I recommend studying various "flight wings" patches, pins, and/or emblems, to kinda ger a good warm fuzzy for different methods of rendering a truly unique and distinctive main crest. With enough (and the right) creative interpolation, I think you can come up with a standout emblem.

I love the idea of the pilot stripes on the sleeves...but, just two things: 1) First Officers get three stripes, Captains get four...don't know if that matters to you or not. And 2) it'd all pretty much be for naught anyway, because as soon ad a player puts his gloves on, that whole nifty little idea goes straight out the window (this is where practical applications can trip one up). Noe there IS a way to get around that and still achieve the same effect, and for that I have obe word for you:what EPAULETS. I trust you'll be able to figure that one out. ;)

Buc,

I appreciate this. The secondary logo was truly rendered as an afterthought to the pilot idea. More and more I think it's becoming the stronger mark and while that mustachioed pilot has become my baby, I'm leaning towards making the secondary the primary. You're right, the wings need some work and I know that if I stylistically rendered the captain wings in a unique but also recognizable way then it could really become something.

I actually thought about epaulets but I didn't like the way it looked and it meant that I'd have to keep one of my logos off of the uniform. As far as the sleeve stripes go, I did not know that and the next rendering WILL have 4 stripes.

You're the second person to bring up the whole stripes being obscured by the gloves thing. Valid concern. I tried to place them high up enough so that the issue would be avoided, but also low enough that you get the pilots jacket effect. Pilots dont have stripes around their elbows. Also, I'm a big Columbus Blue Jackets fan and I always kinda liked how their inaugural unis had the hidden cuff on the sleeves

Rick-Nash.jpg

thanks for the input. I'll have revisions up soon.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived