Photo

WWE WrestleMania XXIX - April 7, 2013 - MetLife Stadium

John Cena The Rock CM Punk Undertaker WrestleMania New York Triple H Brock Lesnar WWE

• Please log in to reply
1235 replies to this topic

#521 WildWinger88

WildWinger88
  • Play Like A Raven

• Members
  • 6,346 posts

• Favourite Logos:Anaheim Ducks Secondary (2010-Present)
      Mighty Ducks of Anaheim ('93-'06)
      Baltimore Ravens ('96-'97)
      Baltimore Bullets
      Baltimore Orioles (2012)
      Richmond Renegades ('90-'03)

Posted March 5, 2013 - 23:20

This just came in from WWE.com:

Paul Bearer has passed away.

http://www.wwe.com/i...passes-26096670

Team2014Signature.png

FANTASY CLUBS:

Richmond Renegades (2x Capital Cup Champs)(NAHL/GHA 2006-Present)Baltimore Claws (MLH 2013-Present) - Richmond Roadrunners (CFA 2011-Present) - Virginia Pines (1x Gait Cup Champs) (ULL 2011-Present) - Richmond Virginians (CL 2013-Present) - Virginia Squires (UBA 2011-Present) - Bayern Baltimore (CPL 2011/USA 2011-Present)

#522 rvrdgsfn

rvrdgsfn
  • Birdland

• Members
  • 2,627 posts

• Favourite Logos:Baltimore Ravens( 1999-Present)
      Washington Capitals Secondary (2007-Present)
      Baltimore Orioles (1966-88, 2012-)
      Richmond Flying Squirrels (2010)
      Virginia Commonwealth University Rams (2014-Present)

Posted March 5, 2013 - 23:47

:cry: One of my favorite managers.

baltimoreravens.png                 

#523 BayouJim

BayouJim

• Members
  • 2,567 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 - 00:24

Oh wow.. That's pretty shocking. Thoughts go out to his family.

Posted Image

#524 charger77

charger77
  • Never put salt in your eyes!

• Members
  • 15,912 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 - 08:51

Fonzy as a wrestler... who knew

Belts_zps61af9db4.png
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I flew too close to the sun on wings of pastrami

#525 habsfan1

habsfan1
  • La Soirée du Hockey à Radio-Canada...un millésime classique!

• Members
  • 8,799 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 - 09:12

My favorite Paul Bearer segment. This right here just shows his ability to take a cheesy concept like this, and make it great!

#526 TheOldRoman

TheOldRoman
  • Oh, you didn't know?

• Members
  • 4,871 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 - 09:50

Got to watch Raw last night, and you know I marked the hell out when Mr. Ass came out. He put on a little weight, but still is in shape. It was awesome to see the fame-asser again.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about this potential Shield match. They will face three former heavyweight champs who are still main eventers. It seems like it's poorly put together and wasting Show, Orton and Sheamus' talents to have them have in a thrown-together tag team instead of singles matches. It will only make sense if Shield wins, but I doubt that, being Wrestlemania.
Posted Image

#527 BringBackTheVet

BringBackTheVet
  • 35 - 0, 29 KO

• Members
  • 18,722 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 - 10:03

Billy Gunn always had the personality of a 2x4. He's really not capable of saying anything other than "if you're not down with that", which is why he needed the stupid "smoking gunns" gimmick, then get paired up with HTM to speak for him, then Road Dogg who carried the team verbally. He's a great athlete (though it's debatable how good his matches were and how good a "pro wrestler" he was) but just never could break that wall between ring and audience.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

#528 TheOldRoman

TheOldRoman
  • Oh, you didn't know?

• Members
  • 4,871 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 - 10:10

Billy Gunn always had the personality of a 2x4. He's really not capable of saying anything other than "if you're not down with that", which is why he needed the stupid "smoking gunns" gimmick, then get paired up with HTM to speak for him, then Road Dogg who carried the team verbally. He's a great athlete (though it's debatable how good his matches were and how good a "pro wrestler" he was) but just never could break that wall between ring and audience.

Maybe it was just the wrong time for Gunn. There have been several lackluster champions over the past five years or so. Hell, Swagger was thrown the belt for a month, despite the fact that he sucks on the mic, has a lisp, always looks ridiculous and isn't really anything special in the ring. Of course, the Mr. Ass gimmick wouldn't fly today, but you have to think someone with his talent could have been a main eventer and heavyweight champ today. Then again, you can say the same thing about DiBiase, Mr. Perfect and a bunch of other guys.
Posted Image

#529 BringBackTheVet

BringBackTheVet
  • 35 - 0, 29 KO

• Members
  • 18,722 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 - 10:44

Maybe it was just the wrong time for Gunn. There have been several lackluster champions over the past five years or so. Hell, Swagger was thrown the belt for a month, despite the fact that he sucks on the mic, has a lisp, always looks ridiculous and isn't really anything special in the ring. Of course, the Mr. Ass gimmick wouldn't fly today, but you have to think someone with his talent could have been a main eventer and heavyweight champ today. Then again, you can say the same thing about DiBiase, Mr. Perfect and a bunch of other guys.

Those guys ass had 100x more charisma than Gunn. I don't know much about Swaggar, so I can't comment on that, but I'd say Gunn is most comparable to a Randy Orton, and could've been a short-term heel champ / adversary of a Cena or a good guy HHH.

He did main event against the Rock the night Owen Hart died.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

#530 Unwind

Unwind
  • Boston Strong

• Members
  • 4,384 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 - 10:54

Those guys ass had 100x more charisma than Gunn. I don't know much about Swaggar, so I can't comment on that, but I'd say Gunn is most comparable to a Randy Orton, and could've been a short-term heel champ / adversary of a Cena or a good guy HHH.

I think that's really selling Orton short -- Gunn was never up to the level that Orton attained. Randy Orton, for all of his flaws, was one of pro wrestling's best heels of the past decade. The man main-evented a WrestleMania, for god's sake. Billy Gunn is more akin to a Dolph Ziggler (bleached-blonde hair aside): great worker in the ring, but always lacking a bit on the mic. They paired Gunn with a million people, just like they're trying to surround Ziggs right now. It never happened for Gunn, even after they gave him the '99 King of the Ring tournament and a featured match against The Rock at that SummerSlam, and it's looking like Ziggler's time has passed as well, even with a Money in the Bank win and a significant main event PPV victory over John Cena.

#531 BringBackTheVet

BringBackTheVet
  • 35 - 0, 29 KO

• Members
  • 18,722 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 - 11:51

I think that's really selling Orton short -- Gunn was never up to the level that Orton attained. Randy Orton, for all of his flaws, was one of pro wrestling's best heels of the past decade. The man main-evented a WrestleMania, for god's sake. Billy Gunn is more akin to a Dolph Ziggler (bleached-blonde hair aside): great worker in the ring, but always lacking a bit on the mic. They paired Gunn with a million people, just like they're trying to surround Ziggs right now. It never happened for Gunn, even after they gave him the '99 King of the Ring tournament and a featured match against The Rock at that SummerSlam, and it's looking like Ziggler's time has passed as well, even with a Money in the Bank win and a significant main event PPV victory over John Cena.

I won't pretend to be up on today's wrestling, I just know that Orton is an athletic, well put together heel with no personality, and other than his fist-pounding on the canvas, has no real in-ring "defining quality" (for lack of a better term.) He too was put in stables to try and build him up, and in a different era, I think Billy Gunn could possibly have been used similarly. I'll admit that Orton is more of your prototypical "champion" in terms of look, but in terms of charisma, they're kind of the same.

#532 Brass

Brass
  • 90's NBA is the best NBA.

• Members
  • 12,855 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 - 12:11

(though it's debatable how good his matches were and how good a "pro wrestler" he was)

Well, Road Dogg and him did push Mick Foley and Terry Funk off the stage in a dumpster. That made way for the biggest sell Jim Ross ever did.

boston1.png

AA- Miami Vice // MLF - Boston Revolution // NHA - New England Wolves

#533 BringBackTheVet

BringBackTheVet
  • 35 - 0, 29 KO

• Members
  • 18,722 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 - 12:18

I was referring to what I guess you guys would call "story telling", or selling, or whatever it's called when you just have the look of pure anguish on your face or sell overcoming an injury or something like that. In-match acting, for lack of a better phrase.

#534 BayouJim

BayouJim

• Members
  • 2,567 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 - 12:29

The night Owen Hart died, Undertaker fought Austin for the title. I had to look it up to see if Gunn was even on the card and he was, he had a match against Road Dogg.

Posted Image

#535 BringBackTheVet

BringBackTheVet
  • 35 - 0, 29 KO

• Members
  • 18,722 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 - 12:33

The night Owen Hart died, Undertaker fought Austin for the title. I had to look it up to see if Gunn was even on the card and he was, he had a match against Road Dogg.

There was some PPV where he took on the Rock, because I still remember Rock's promo about god looking down from heaven and telling Billy Gunn that he sucked. It was around that time because I remember watching it with the girl I was dating around then. I also saw part of the PPV that Owen died with her, so that's probably why I was confused.

EDIT: Summerslam '99.

#536 4_tattoos

4_tattoos

• Members
  • 1,525 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 - 19:16

*off topic alert*

Came across this video on youtube. Hindsight is 20/20, but hearing some of these ideas really makes me hate the reality of WCW after Starrcade 97. Although, how any of these scenarios would hold up against the impeding rise of WWF's attitude era is a whole different argument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlJVzCYA6CU

Being a Redskins fan is like being stuck in a bad relationship that you just won't leave.

#537 4_tattoos

4_tattoos

• Members
  • 1,525 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 - 20:10

Seeing as how Wade Barrett has no direction heading into Wrestlemania, this would have been an ideal time for "The Intercontinental Cup" that they scrapped a little while ago.

Being a Redskins fan is like being stuck in a bad relationship that you just won't leave.

#538 Ice_Cap

Ice_Cap
  • Mission to civilize

• Moderators
  • 21,243 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 - 20:13

Starrcade '97 is the worst case of blue balls in the history of pro wrestling. Thanks Hogan!

ultimateteamsignonfl_zpsc8c1a917.png

BASSempire_zps93b46457.png

PotD 2/26/12

#539 CRichardson

CRichardson

• Members
  • 5,316 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 - 20:23

Starrcade '97 is the worst case of blue balls in the history of pro wrestling. Thanks Hogan!

Still not as bad as the ending of Starrcade '98.

sport-scarf_blackhawks_zpsb1797cb7.png
GOAL ACHIEVED - 2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL) | The South Texas State University Rangers (NCFA-FCS)
Chicago Rivermen (UBA - 2013-14 National Conference Champions) | Quebec Metropolites - (UL) | Red Bull Seattle (ULL)

#540 DG_Now

DG_Now
  • Operator, number, please; it's been so many years

• Members
  • 13,904 posts

Posted March 6, 2013 - 20:40

The funny thing is that going into Starrcade 97, I thought WWF was just about finished. Yeah, WWF had HBK and Undertaker, but Austin was up-and-coming rather than the megastar he would become in 98, and the Rock, Kane and Mankind were entertaining but not as big as they would be. Meanwhile, Bret Hart joined WCW, where the NWO was still the biggest deal in wrestling. I thought he was the biggest coup out of all of the guys who crossed over, but boy did the whole thing blow up nearly immediately for WCW.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: John Cena, The Rock, CM Punk, Undertaker, WrestleMania, New York, Triple H, Brock Lesnar, WWE