AHL Franchise Relocation News & Rumors

randyc

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So once again, Calgary got bored of their farm team's city. I had a feeling this was gonna happen as soon as they moved to Abbortsford in the first place.

The way things have been going for this franchise, it looks like they'll revert back to the Flames now until they end up relocating yet again.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

http://www.uticaod.c...013-2014-Season

With this move, I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks farm team moved to Abbotsford from Chicago.

I wonder if the Utica team will keep the heat name, changes to Flames, or bring in a new nickname?

One problem. The Canucks don't own a franchise.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

http://www.uticaod.c...013-2014-Season

With this move, I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks farm team moved to Abbotsford from Chicago.

I wonder if the Utica team will keep the heat name, changes to Flames, or bring in a new nickname?

One problem. The Canucks don't own a franchise.

And I'm pretty sure Chicago been leading the AHL in attendance for several years now

The Chicago Wolves seem to be far and away the most successful AHL team as far as attendance and finances. It's possible, though, that because of that their ownership may be less likely to listen to 'suggestions' made by their NHL affiliate. That could be a reason for a team like the Canucks to want to change their affiliation.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

By saying moved, I didn't mean that they would move the Wolves. I'm well aware about the Wolves, simply meant that I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks affiliate becomes Abbotsford once their agreement is up with Chicago.

Better?

Utica doesn't have a franchise either, so it logically follows that the Utica "CalgaryNapalmsYetAnotherMarket"s would be the current Abbotsford franchise. Does the issue become clearer?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Harrison Mooney at Yahoo is now saying there's no deal in Utica. So we'll see.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I hope Utica does well here because I don't want that city to suffer what Omaha, the Quad Cities and Abbotsford are suffering through.

So you're saying you don't want them to get the Flames' farm team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Here's what I'm thinking:

Chicago Wolves franchise gets bought by Canucks, team moves to become the Abbotsford Canucks, Rockford IceHogs move to Allstate Arena to become the new Chicago Wolves (the Blackhawks' affiliate too).

bYhYmxh.png

In a twist of irony, this franchise was once in Utica already as the Utica Devils... Then the Flames purchased the franchise and moved them to St. John, where they played for ten years. Last bit of stability they had was in St. John, they've moved every two-three years since.

Texas.gif

Chicago Wolves franchise gets bought by Canucks, team moves to become the Abbotsford Canucks, Rockford IceHogs move to Allstate Arena to become the new Chicago Wolves (the Blackhawks' affiliate too).

Wolves fans would riot.

Or perhaps Canucks buy IceHogs and move them, and then they simply swap affiliates.

How is AHL support in Rockford?

The Central Hockey League I'm sure is looking for anyone to try to stay afloat.

Silly season starts early this year!

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

The mere suggestion the Blackhawks and Wolves would enter into an affiliation agreement merits the "Archimedes laughing" clip.

Today, we are all otaku.

Wolves fans would riot.

It is a weird disconnect. Obviously, I'm a Blackhawks fan, and pretty much can't stand the Canucks. But I have no problem cheering on the Canucks' prospects, and I fairly loathe the FreezerPigs. And the idea of Hawks clone jerseys with the Wolves' logo on the front makes me kinda ill. There's a decent amount of bad history between the two clubs from the Dollar Bill era, too, and I'm convinced that a Hawks-affiliated Wolves team would end up getting intentionally undersold and marginalized.

That all matters to me as a longtime avid fan. But seeing as how the majority of Wolves ticket-buyers (probably) are folks who want to take their kids out to see a hockey game without dropping a whole week's pay, I don't know how much of an impact such a move would truly have.

I still think the long game is for Don Levin to land Seattle's NHL team and make the Wolves its affiliate. But I have no idea what happens in the interim.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Flames Primary Farms Teams

Atlanta

Omaha 1972-75, Nova Scotia 1975-76, Tulsa 1976-79, Birmingham 1979-80

Calgary

Birmingham 1980-81, Oklahoma City 1981-82, Colorado 1982-84, Moncton 1984-87, Salt Lake 1987-1993, Saint John 1993-2003, Lowell 2003-05, Omaha 2005-07, Quad City 2007-09, Abbotsford 2009-13, Utica 2013-?

That's 14 different moves/changes for the Flames in 41 years (one every 2.93 years), in 13 different cities. Some of these are shared farm teams (Nova Scotia with Montreal and Lowell with Carolina). Amazing stuff.

Or perhaps Canucks buy IceHogs and move them, and then they simply swap affiliates.

Rockford ranks 22 out of 31 in attendance as of Saturday. Averaging 4447 fans per game in an arena that seats 5767. It is a decent arena that has been updated some since the AHL moved there. Fans are passionate there and when we used to travel there, back in the old UHL days, it was always a great atmosphere. I have heard people say that downtown Rockford isn't the nicest part of town, but we never ventured much from the arena.

The CHL would love Rockford for it's proximity to Quad Citys, Bloomington, Rapid City, Wichita, and Missouri. It would also be a great fit for the ECHL, making it another solid franchise in the midwest.

"Roll Along"

Rockford ranks 22 out of 31 in attendance as of Saturday. Averaging 4447 fans per game in an arena that seats 5767. It is a decent arena that has been updated some since the AHL moved there. Fans are passionate there and when we used to travel there, back in the old UHL days, it was always a great atmosphere. I have heard people say that downtown Rockford isn't the nicest part of town, but we never ventured much from the arena.

The CHL would love Rockford for it's proximity to Quad Citys, Bloomington, Rapid City, Wichita, and Missouri. It would also be a great fit for the ECHL, making it another solid franchise in the midwest.

Rockford is not terribly proximate to Wichita, Rapid City, and the Kansas City metro area.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived