bigred618's Soccer Concepts (NY Red Bulls Rebrand)

BigRed618

I've decided to put all my soccer concepts into one thread. For starters, I'll repost the few concepts I've already done, and then put any new ones I make here as well.

REAL SALT LAKE
Home
rslhome.png
Change
rslchange.png
Third
rslthird.png

VIRGINIA CAVALRY FC
Home
virhome.png
Change
virchange.png
Third
virthird.png

EDIT

I'm going to organize these concepts more by turning it into a project, a vision of what MLS should look like in the future. A few others have tried this, and now I will.

The year is 20XX. MLS now controls the top two divisions of the American Soccer Pyramid, taking the NASL name. Each division will have 24 teams, making a total of 48. The top three of the D2 teams, called the Beta League, will be promoted to the top division, or the Alpha League. The last three of the Alpha League will be relegated to Beta status.

Here's the team list. Teams with a * are ones I've already done.

NASL Alpha
West Division

Los Angeles Aztecs*
Los Angeles Galaxy*
San Jose Earthquakes*
Portland Timbers*
Seattle Sounders FC*
Vancouver Whitecaps FC*
Real Salt Lake*
Colorado Rapids*
Dallas Cowboys SC
Houston Dynamo*
Minnesota Stars
Sporting Kansas City*

East Division

Chicago Fire*
Gateway Athletic (St. Louis)*
Columbus Crew*
DC United*
Toronto FC*
Montréal Impact*
New England Revolution*
New York Red Bulls*
New York Cosmos*
Philadelphia Union*
Fort Lauderdale Strikers
Atlanta Silverbacks

NASL Beta
West Division

Edmonton Drillers
Chicago Sting
Alleghenny Athletic Assn. (Pittsburgh)
Tulsa Roughnecks
Pearl of Honolulu
FC Arizona
Las Vegas Eleven
Deportivo San Diego*
Calgary Aurora
Bavarian SC (Milwaukee)
San Antonio Scorpions
Saskatoon Gold

East Division

Tampa Bay Rowdies
Puerto Rico Islanders
Ottawa Dominion
Carolina Flight
Crossroads FC* (Indianapolis)
Rochester Lancers
Cleveland Wanderers
Terra Nova FC (St. John's, NF)
The City Beautiful (Orlando)
Brooklyn Italians*
Spirit of Detroit
Virginia Cavalry FC*

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CHICAGO FIRE

Home

chifirehome.png

This was inspired by another concept I saw the other day. In this set, the crest dominates the jersey, rather than the sponsor logo. This concept prioritises the spirit and faith in the team and the city over advertisements and profit. The fans don't go to the stadium for Quaker Oats or Best Buy, they go there for the Chicago Fire.

Change Kit:

chifirechange.png

This one was inspired by one of their earlier kits, even though the one from back then had a black stripe. Right now they use a solid blue change kit, but I prefer the more-familiar white.

Third Kit:

chifirethird.png

No Fire concept would be complete without a powder blue kit. This was actually a reality back in '05 when they had something similar to this for a third, which proved to be a real hit, and there are rumors that powder blue will make a comeback for this season.

What do you guys think?

RSL Home reminds me of Chivas a little too much

The whole theme behind RSL is to make them look more Spanish, like the team's namesake. If you look at the unis of La Liga, you'll find that there are no less than three teams that have red/white stripes on their home jerseys. Luckily, they have alternate kits they can wear to avoid clashing.

Great job, BigRed. I particularly like the Virginia Cavalry and Chicago Fire designs. My daughter is 9 and plays in the development program for the Chicago Fire Juniors of Louisiana here in New Orleans and when she saw the the light blue kit, she said "SWEET! Dad, can the club get us those!?" :D

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

Great job, BigRed. I particularly like the Virginia Cavalry and Chicago Fire designs. My daughter is 9 and plays in the development program for the Chicago Fire Juniors of Louisiana here in New Orleans and when she saw the the light blue kit, she said "SWEET! Dad, can the club get us those!?"

Thanks a lot. Fire's the team I follow the most in the Major League, so I wanted to do something special for them.

DC UNITED

Home

dcuhome.png

I made few changes to this team. The most noticeable of these is the new crest I made. The Black & Red had the same logo almost since the team began, but I heard complaints that the crest looked more like something a Nazi would've decorated his suit with. I never saw it quite like that, but I did agree that it did have an unsettling, almost totalitarian look to it. So I took the eagle, transformed it to more of a shield shape, and included the arms of Washington, those three stars and two stripes you see.

The Change Kit:

dcuchange.png

I kept their change kit mostly white, but I also added a little extra color, with plenty of red, a color I feel DCU doesn't utilize very well.

The Third Kit:

dcuthird.png

This thing is mainly inspired by the cherry trees that grow near the Washington Monument, among other places throughout the capital. Lots of people go there to see their beautiful pink blossoms. There's even a Cherry Blossom Festival that happens every year, featuring many cultural performances and other events. This year it's supposed to start on March 20 and end April 14. United has two home games scheduled during this time, and this would be a nice way to join in on the celebration.

C&C, please and thank you.

COLUMBUS CREW

Home Kit:

clbhome.png

For the Most Hard-Working Team in America, I made them a new crest. Gone are those three anonymous weirdos in hard hats, replaced with a crest shaped like a metal nut. a notch on one side turns the nut into a "C." The star in the middle of the ball represents Columbus, capital of Ohio, located in the center of the state.

The change kit:

clbchange.png

I brought back their solid black look for the change kit, and also added a gold sash for variety.

The third kit:

clbthird.png

I always thought grey would look good on these guys, so I made a grey third for them. The sash from the change kit is there too, but with both black and gold, which I feel really makes the shirt pop. What say you?

I really like this. Columbus is the team most in need of a new crest, IMO, and the one you have come up with is fantastic. Simple and clever. Kits are great too, though I feel the sash could be tilted a bit vertically.

NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION

The Home Kit:

nefchome.png

First thing I did was make a new crest for the Revs. Those who don't like their current logo say it's because the paintbrush effect makes it look too outdated. Those who like the logo say it's because it stands out from the other MLS crests, most of which are shield-shaped.

I try to please both sides of the argument by keeping the flag theme but giving it a more solid form. Some of the more observant of you will also notice a hidden "NE" in the crest.

The Change Kit:

nefcchange.png

The kit designs are inspired by kits the Revs wore in the late '00s. The home jersey was blue with red accents. The red would be the most prominent on the sleeves. I thought that maybe it would look better if the whole sleeves were red. And for the change, the shirts would be white, like they've always been, with blue sleeves and red accents.

The Third Kit

nefcthird.png

Obviously this is inspired by the New England flag. The green can also be interpreted as a tribute to the region's strong Irish heritage.

C&C appreciated. I might do a western team next, for a change of pace.

RSL Home reminds me of Chivas a little too much

The whole theme behind RSL is to make them look more Spanish, like the team's namesake. If you look at the unis of La Liga, you'll find that there are no less than three teams that have red/white stripes on their home jerseys. Luckily, they have alternate kits they can wear to avoid clashing.

Then again, their namesake's second-largest rivalry is with a team that wears red and white vertical stripes, so...

6fQjS3M.png

HOUSTON DYNAMO

Home Kit:

houdynhome.png

As much as fans love MLB's Houston Astros' famous Tequila Sunrise jersey from the '80s, it's generally agreed that it made an awful baseball jersey. I was curious as to how it would look on a soccer kit instead.

Just like in my Chicago concept, Dynamo's sponsor takes a backseat in favor of the team crest. The crest takes on more of a space-age theme, with the shape inspired by the Starfleet emblem from Star Trek. A lowercase "hd" monogram fits perfectly inside the star, and then I added the orbit rings in between for good measure.

Change kit:

houdynchange.png

A low key version of the home colors, the change uses white as the predominant color. I didn't bother adding a third kit this time, because I simply didn't have any more ideas for them.

C&C, please & thank you. Mystery expansion team is next. :D

I've never been keen on using anything closely resembling the Champions League ball logo for MLS/American concepts. But I do very much like Real Madrid-inspired thirds for RSL. Those and the new Columbus Crew badge you've done are very good.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps7b027c63.png

sport-scarf_man-u_zps4c8ca64d.png

I've never been keen on using anything closely resembling the Champions League ball logo for MLS/American concepts. But I do very much like Real Madrid-inspired thirds for RSL. Those and the new Columbus Crew badge you've done are very good.

Thanks for the feedback. That star/ball thing isn't from the Champs League, though. It's the ball from their current logo. I just tweaked it so it lost that paintbrush effect. Anyway, I still have some kinks to work out of my expansion concept I mentioned, so the next one will be for Sporting Kansas City. Here's a hint: If you liked their old rainbow jerseys from the '90s, then you'll love what I got cooking! :D

I really love that Houston concept but at the same time I hate it.

The creat is great, all your crests are. The home kit makes the eyes tear up with all those colours but the history behind it is very clever, the away I feel could also work as a home kit if you spun the concept a different way. The socks on both are have some good imagination behind them.

BTW are you unable to make your own templates as some you are using are a little dates.

I really love that Houston concept but at the same time I hate it.

The creat is great, all your crests are. The home kit makes the eyes tear up with all those colours but the history behind it is very clever, the away I feel could also work as a home kit if you spun the concept a different way. The socks on both are have some good imagination behind them.

BTW are you unable to make your own templates as some you are using are a little dates.

I let the designs I make speak for themselves. I'm not worried about templates because a team would just switch to a new one next year.

I do understand where you're coming from with Houston, though, and I may revisit that one soon.

SPORTING KANSAS CITY

The home kit:

skchome.png

When SKC got rid of the Wizards name, the rainbow pattern on their crest, as well as their earlier kits, were what I missed the most. For the kome kit, I bring back the rainbow in the form of a blue/yellow/red hoop pattern, with navy blue to tie it all together. I made two versions of the crest but couldn't decide which one to use. I ulitmately went with the monogram so the kit would look less busy.

The Change Kit:

skcchange.png

A clean look, with the 3-Stripes taking on the rainbow colors and everything else in navy.

C&C, please and thank you. Toronto FC is next.

Thanks for the feedback. That star/ball thing isn't from the Champs League, though. It's the ball from their current logo. I just tweaked it so it lost that paintbrush effect. Anyway, I still have some kinks to work out of my expansion concept I mentioned, so the next one will be for Sporting Kansas City. Here's a hint: If you liked their old rainbow jerseys from the '90s, then you'll love what I got cooking! :D

I'm tired of the Revs' ball as well. It's a cheap take on the Champions League "star-ball" logo. Too close and I give the biggest club competition in the world the nod to keep their version. NE should change logos.

200px-UEFA_Champions_League_logo_2.svg.png

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps7b027c63.png

sport-scarf_man-u_zps4c8ca64d.png

Thanks for the feedback. That star/ball thing isn't from the Champs League, though. It's the ball from their current logo. I just tweaked it so it lost that paintbrush effect. Anyway, I still have some kinks to work out of my expansion concept I mentioned, so the next one will be for Sporting Kansas City. Here's a hint: If you liked their old rainbow jerseys from the '90s, then you'll love what I got cooking!

I'm tired of the Revs' ball as well. It's a cheap take on the Champions League "star-ball" logo. Too close and I give the biggest club competition in the world the nod to keep their version. NE should change logos.

Fair enough. I'll find something else to use in its place.

TORONTO FC

I just have a crest made up right now, because I can't decide what to do for kits...

torontor.png

Canada's biggest city has its share of memorable landmarks, such as City Hall and the CN Tower, but they're mostly ignored in sports iconography. The grey/red shape in the middle of the Reds' crest evokes the image of Toronto's City Hall, which I feel was a lot more fun to make designs with than the Tower. The biggest complaint I've heard about TFC's logos and kits is the use of the maple leaf, Canada's national symbol, stating that now that Toronto is no longer Canada's only team, they don't need the leaf to identify themselves. I disagree. The leaf gives the team a patriotic look, just like their hockey-playing counterparts, the Maple Leafs. I'd say telling TFC to drop the maple leaf is like telling the NBA's 76ers to stop using the Stars and Stripes.

C&C appreciated, as always.

Archived