The America League

pcgd

This series is like unwrapping a set of presents everyday. Three more "hits." Camden County might be my favorite so far. But the lamp on Austin's crest is gonna need some explanation.

And what's that on the shoulders of Camden County? It almost looks like two mudflap-girl silhouettes sitting back to back.

That's the Kappa logo. They're an Italian company that manufactures soccer kits.

kappa-logo.png

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha

That was me asking the question and then editing and answering my own question after some googling.

And that's funny about the Kappa logo. I didn't actually think it was going to turn out to be a silhouette of two people sitting back to back, lol. I thought I was being clever (or "cheeky" I guess is more apropos). I know I've seen the Kappa logo before, but never really looked at it closely or paid attention to it.

Someone said before (but I believe they went back to edit so you may have missed it) the lamp is from Austin's crest. See it in the background of the crest image?

Ahh... I see it now.

Love the look of Camden County. A day or two ago I thought about a Philly area-based soccer team using Campbell's as a shirt sponsor; a great look on a soccer kit and it's nice to see it in a concept

More solid work, Patrick!

On the Austin SC kits, did you give any thought during the design process to having the center stripe on the front of the jerseys start slightly wider at the shoulder and then taper down near the waist hem? In that way it would reflect the tapering center stripe on the logo.

This is astounding. Great work. Love the names and the looks to boot. Great research coming up with ideas.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

These are absolutely gorgeous! Fantastic crests so far with great team identities. There are a few minor tweaks here or there I would make, but nothing substantial. I must say that the Arizona change kit is EASILY my favorite of the lot. the multi-colored pinstripes look great on the black base.

The one "major" comment I would have would be how the shoulder striping on the Atlanta City (I read it as "Atlanta" initially as well) is so similar to the shoulder striping on the Arizona United primary kit. I know it isn't exactly the same...but it's pretty close. Personally, I would look into doing something different on the Atlanta City change kits.

gYH2mW9.png

The similar striping on Atlanta and Arizona is something I should look at. It wasn't intentional but a lot of these were done in a completly different order than I'm presenting them now so the actual concept, may have been seperated by months and the acutal designs by even more months.

On to the next three!

Charm City // Premier League

charmcity1.jpg

Baltimore is one of the founding members of the America's Premier League but has the distinction of being one of the least successful top flight clubs. Despite that they have perhaps the fiercest supporters, much like the Chicago Cubs in Major League Baseball. They are known as the Crabs and play at the Camden Pitch, largely considered one of the greatest stadiums in the world. It was so beloved in Baltimore when the local baseball team needed a new stadium in the 90s, they built it right next door and called it Camden Yards.

They aren't without championships, they won 2 very early on pre 1900. Yet, their drought is one of the worst in American sports, however they have won America's Cup (The country's open tournament) 4 times in that span.

The logo features the flag of Baltimore in a circle and banner. In the banner a silouette of a crab is featured.

The kits are made by local athletic company Under Armor and feature the flag of Baltimore on the primary kits with black shorts and gold socks. The change kit is all white. Inside the collar of both are the words that are sung at all "Crab" games: HI DE HI DE HI DE HI. Cab Calloway's "Minnie the Mooch" became the team song at a match in the mid 1930's. It was a popular song of the day and Cab came to the match which he was greeted by the entire crowd singing "HI DE HI DE HI DE HI." It quickly became a tradition.

charmcity2.jpgcharmcity3.jpgcharmcity4.jpgcharmcity5.jpg

The early interpretations of Charm City remained throughout the process (I promise there are a few that I changed along the way!)

charmcity6.jpg

More solid work, Patrick!

On the Austin SC kits, did you give any thought during the design process to having the center stripe on the front of the jerseys start slightly wider at the shoulder and then taper down near the waist hem? In that way it would reflect the tapering center stripe on the logo.

You know the stripe was more the first element I wanted to include on the uniforms (from the crest) and then when designing the crest I felt the lines flowed with the rest of the shape of the long horn better if they were tapered. That's something to look at in the future though!

Charlestown // America One

charlestown1.jpg

Charlestown is also one of the oldest teams in the America League. They were founded in 1888 along with the other early members of the league. Their handle is the Ravere's and they play at Old Winthrop, the oldest stadium in the league. Their entire heritage is that of a team that's holding on to its old glory days. The team has had mixed success in the early days of the America League, but mostly they've been in the bottom half of the Premier League, always finding a way to keep themselves out of relagation. But over the last 20 odd years, they've been fixtures in America One, continuing their ways of staying afloat without going under.

The team leans heavy on tradition. The logo was modernized in the 1990's yet still has the silhouette of the USS Constitution at its core. The Candy stripes they are known for are featured in both the uniform top and the crest. They are the only team that uses a (very) old school lace up collar.

charlestown2.jpgcharlestown3.jpgcharlestown4.jpgcharlestown5.jpg

From the early concept to completion Charlestown is largely unchanged. The socks were made into hoops to better match the uniform top.

charlestown6.jpg

Birmingham // America Two

birmingham1.jpg

Birmingham is one of the newest teams in the America League having just celebrated their 10th season in 2012. They narrowly lost out on promotion to America One and are looking like a good bet to be back in 2013. Birmingham's badge features the Vulcan Statue, the largest cast iron statue in the world. They are nicknamed the Steelers and play at Homewood Grounds in Birmingham.

The uniforms feature tonal vertical striping with contrast piping. Primary kit is Green over grey, and the Change is all white.

birmingham2.jpgbirmingham3.jpgbirmingham4.jpgbirmingham5.jpg

The biggest change from concept to completion is the color. Originally purple I realized I had too many purple teams, and because there was no real reason for Birmingham to be purple, I selected them to change to green.

birmingham6.jpg

The biggest change from concept to completion is the color. Originally purple I realized I had too many purple teams, and because there was no real reason for Birmingham to be purple, I selected them to change to green.

Might I recommend using crimson? The power of University of Alabama would weigh heavily in creating a team that is so new. Crimson Tide rules like an iron fist and someone starting a sports team would be wise to tap into that. I suggest that because it just seems that the choice of green was more random then tying it to the area.

I'm so mad that I can't get some of these kits.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Might I recommend using crimson? The power of University of Alabama would weigh heavily in creating a team that is so new. Crimson Tide rules like an iron fist and someone starting a sports team would be wise to tap into that. I suggest that because it just seems that the choice of green was more random then tying it to the area.

Green is UAB's color, and if this were a real team, there's a good chance they'd be sharing a facility or two with the Blazers.

Archived