The America League

pcgd

I've never played Football Manager, but I'm wondering if there is a "Team Douchebag" rating? My favorite team from the entire America League was The District, and they just drip with douchbaggery (err.. maybe not the best metaphor, but nothing I can do about it). How would you best represent The District's aura in the game?

Oh don't worry your not the only one who uses the word "douchebaggery" I personally say "Douchebaggetry" and even the word "Douchenoozle" your not alone buddy.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am probably the person who likes Soccer the LEAST... but this thread is beyond a win. Amazing ideas, color schemes, logos and jersey's. Thanks for sharing this with us!

chris_creamer_siggy.png

Please do not fool yourself, the Buccaneers jersey is conceptually and creatively an abomination. Read the "FANFARE" Here...

This thread is amazing, easily a Top 3 in the concepts section. I'm not even a soccer fan, I've bookmarked your website, thank you pcgd you are freaking amazing.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Miami // America One

miami1.jpg

The Miami Flamingos were started in 1941 while the Nation was in WWII. German U-Boats were sighted off the shores of Miami and this lead to a buildup of of Military activity in and around Miami. A local businessman saw the opportunity to give the training soldiers something to do while on breaks and started the Flamingos. The team struggled with attendance outside of Military for the first 10 years of their existence nearly going bankrupt in 1949. After the war many soldiers and their families returned to the Miami area and the population boomed. The team flourished in this new environment.

The logo is heavily inspired by the Art Deco buildings in Miami as well as the bright neon colors of the city. The logo is very simple with few lines and only the word "Miami" included even though the team's official title is Miami Flamingos Soccer Club.

The uniforms feature the iconic flamingo from their crest blown up on the jersey. Its Pink on a teal background on the primary kit over white shorts. On the change they go all pink with a black flamingo. (I kinda saw them like Palermo who doesn't apologize about pink and just owns it)

miami2.jpgmiami3.jpgmiami4.jpgmiami5.jpg

From the sketch to the final the main thing I did was simplfy the flamingo. I saw a traditional logo style or a retro style for the illustration style at first but I decided to go more bold and iconic.

miami6.jpg

This is fantastic work! I wish someone would get this idea to David Beckham. It is perfect for a Miami-based team. The only thing I would say is that the loo, while sopt-on with its use of art-deco style lettering, needs a better flamingo. Perhaps a fiercer looking one, or at least something more modern? Miami should also have 3rd kits which could change each season to further sales of their merchandise. Maybe start out with an all black kit, or even a colour not related to the team's primary teal, pink, white and black scheme.

Another great team idea that could be included is another Boston team playing in Cambridge called "Cambridge Athletic Club" or Cambridge A.C. A natural rival for Beacon Hill and South Boston.

A note about Providence: I like all your designs, I am originally from Providence. I give you that it is a minor league city but even back in the era when your league was founded Providence would have been perhaps too big to be called "Providence Towne." The team name also closely resembles Provincetown, which is a town two hours away on Cape Cod, and in the local dialect in New England it is very easy to confuse your name for the town in Massachusetts. I would suggest the Reds as a team name. There was a major league baseball team I believe in the late 19th century called the Providence Greys. And Reds was for a long time the name of the hockey team in Providence and their logo was a Rhode Island Red rooster.

• 2 weeks later...

Klup Aruba // Premier League

aruba1.jpg

Klup Aruba was strongly inspired by the country's flag and colors. "Klup" is dutch for "Club" so in English they would be Club Aruba. But because its so close everyone calls them by their true name "Klup Aruba." The team was "founded" in 1967 and the badge features a stylized A with a soccer ball and the established date. Klup Aruba plays at Oranjestad Stadium and is sponsored by local telecommunications company Setar.

Aruba is an odd choice for a league based in the United States but like many leagues in the US, North America expansion was on everyone's minds perhaps a bit too early. The team has been a middle of the table team for most of their existance. Getting players to live and play in Aruba hasn't been difficult, getting them to concentrate on Soccer has been. But its also to the advantage of the hometown club were opposing teams treat the trip as a vacation and its frequently at the expense of performance.

The uniforms are directly inspired by the country's flag with the stripes coming across the chest and around one leg.

aruba2.jpgaruba3.jpgaruba4.jpgaruba5.jpg

My inspiration stayed pretty consistent throughout the process as you can see from the sketch.

aruba6.jpg

club in Dutch is club, there is no difference as far as I know. I could be wrong because I live in the Netherlands and not antilles.

Guest darkpiranha

I believe he's set it all up in Football Manager, and maybe even made the uniforms available. Scroll back a few pages and you should see him talking about it.

• 1 month later...

I don't have any updates on the league (however I am working on a much better website for it), I just worked up this concept tonight and didn't think it needed its own thread. If the Chicago Sting ever came back, perhaps they could look like this:

Bf1uhByCcAA4cfL.jpg

Nah 3 Chicago teams, 2 using the stars would be too much. 4th tier Chicago would be Oak Park or Aurora.

I just saw some guys are trying to restart the Sting on twitter as a fan friendly alternate to the Fire and it got me thinking...

Guest darkpiranha

Hey, man! Good to see you back here, albeit briefly. Give us an update on your real world adventures. Last I heard, you'd designed the official Indy 11 logo.

• 5 months later...

I'm back! Weekends just aren't good for me to post these, but oh well, here's the latest. I'll have 6 more days with 1 team in each league to go.

Rose City // Premier League

rosecity1.jpg

No Pity for the Rose City! The oldest team west of the Mississippi is Portland's team: Rose City SC. Unoriginality known as the Roses (what can you say, it just stuck) the fans in Portland are some of the most hardcore in the league. They have 4 titles pretty well spread out throughout their history and have been on the cusp of their 5th numerous times the last 5 years. The fan base is ready to explode when they finally get their star.

The team's crest is fairly traditional containing their well known "Portland Sash" which has been a feature of their uniforms and crest since the 1920s. Around the crest are thorny rose stems weaving in and around the logo.

The uniforms both feature the "Portland Sash" made by hometown adidas. Red tops are the the primary kit with white shorts and all white for the change kit. Another hometown company, Rouge Ales, is the kit sponsor.

rosecity2.jpgrosecity3.jpgrosecity4.jpgrosecity5.jpg

The main change from the sketch to finished is the addition of the thorns around the crest. The kits have more or less stayed the same throughout.

rosecity6.jpg

this crest is just absolutely amazing.

Archived