The America League

pcgd

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arizona United // America One

arizona1.jpg

Arizona United is not how I may have done the team mark in a perfect world, I knew there would be some "WTF?" teams when it comes to identity and this is, to an extent, one of them. The crest takes its cues from the Arizona flag as well as its colors and they play at the Phoenix Grounds.

The history of the team is literally a story of rebirth. Many teams in the west were small because of the sparsely populated American West had not developed. Arizona had 3 competitive teams in the early years, Tucsan, Phoenix and Mesa. The teams were struggling financially in the late 20th century with only Phoenix pulling in crowds in America Two while the other two were in the 4th tier. So in 2005 Phoenix bought out the other two teams and they became Arizona United.

The uniforms are called "Clown Suits" by the rest of the league's fans. I happen to like them a bit. The Primary kit has the sun rays on the shoulders with black shorts, while the change kits go all black with multi-colored stripes on the jersey and socks.

arizona2.jpgarizona3.jpgarizona4.jpgarizona5.jpg

Again, the sketch pretty much reflected what Arizona United became.

arizona6.jpg

Atlanta City // America Two

atlanta1.jpg

Atlanta City is a team that's had a bit of a downturn in recent years. They have played many seasons in the Premier League and many more in the America One league, but currently are sitting at the top of America Two looking for a return to glory. They were founded in 1966 and play at Stone Mountain Park. The fans are passionate and will help get the team back to the top in no time! The crest uses peach (what else) and red with hoops below their AC mark.

The Primary Uniform features Peach and Red hoops on the Jersey and Socks and the primary national/local sponsor Coca-Cola. The Change moves the stripes to the sleeves but keeps the hoops on the socks.

atlanta2.jpgatlanta3.jpgatlanta4.jpgatlanta5.jpg

Below is the initial sketch for Atlanta City which is spot on for the eventual outcome.

atlanta6.jpg

http://pcgdstudios.com/america-league-beacon-hill-arizona-united-atlanta-city/

As a Bostonian, I love 99.9% of what you've done with regard to Boston's entry in the America Premier League. The Beacon Hill SC name, the gas streetlamp-inspired logo, and the color palette are all top-notch. That said, using both Beacon Hill and the interlocking BH on the logo strikes me as being redundant.

I'd suggest one of two "solutions" for this redundancy: The first is to leave the BEACON HILL name on the logo as is, while replacing the interlocking BH with a slightly larger, centered version of the soccer ball that has BOSTON curving over it and the year in which the club was founded curving under it. The second would be to replace BEACON HILL with BOSTON, while leaving the BH monogram as it is. Of the two options, I tend to lean towards the first solution, but - clearly - it's not my call.

Nice work!

Guest darkpiranha

Me: "Why is it obviously peach colored?"

Me, a minute later: "Oh, AtlanTA City, not AtlanTIC City".

That's the only complaint I have about any of these so far. Maybe something less confusable, like ATL City.

That and I wish the sleeve stripes on Arizona United actually tapered like they do on the sun in the logo. I know in real life that tapering wouldn't work like that on sleeves, but on this representation, I think it would be acceptable. Right now, it looks like plain old stripes (or "hoops", never heard them called that before, is that a European thing?).

These are really nice, the Boston logo is great. I would suggest using blue as the second color on the white clash kit rather than gold, I think it would pop more.

Arizona does look a little "clownish," but the colors do come from the state flag so I think it's fine.

Atlanta is perfect. Red and peach is certainly new but it looks awesome.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

I actually really like that Arizona crest. Might be my favorite one. The black kit is excellent as well. Unique.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Guest darkpiranha

I'd suggest one of two "solutions" for this redundancy: The first is to leave the BEACON HILL name on the logo as is, while replacing the interlocking BH with a slightly larger, centered version of the soccer ball that has BOSTON curving over it and the year in which the club was founded curving under it.

Putting the ball in the center of the lamp and lightening it up allows it to almost act as the light source of the lamp.

As a Bostonian, I love 99.9% of what you've done with regard to Boston's entry in the America Premier League. The Beacon Hill SC name, the gas streetlamp-inspired logo, and the color palette are all top-notch. That said, using both Beacon Hill and the interlocking BH on the logo strikes me as being redundant.

I'd suggest one of two "solutions" for this redundancy: The first is to leave the BEACON HILL name on the logo as is, while replacing the interlocking BH with a slightly larger, centered version of the soccer ball that has BOSTON curving over it and the year in which the club was founded curving under it. The second would be to replace BEACON HILL with BOSTON, while leaving the BH monogram as it is. Of the two options, I tend to lean towards the first solution, but - clearly - it's not my call.

Nice work!

Fair comments, ill take a look at that.

There will be a few more Boston teams coming...

BJ's is a store like Sams or Cosco in the Boston area.

I especially like Beacon Hill and Arizona U this time around... yes, even Arizona's kits. They remind me of some of the African clubs I've seen, such as Hearts of Oak. Only thing is there's no "a" in Tucson.

Me: "Why is it obviously peach colored?"

Me, a minute later: "Oh, AtlanTA City, not AtlanTIC City".

That's the only complaint I have about any of these so far. Maybe something less confusable, like ATL City.

That and I wish the sleeve stripes on Arizona United actually tapered like they do on the sun in the logo. I know in real life that tapering wouldn't work like that on sleeves, but on this representation, I think it would be acceptable. Right now, it looks like plain old stripes (or "hoops", never heard them called that before, is that a European thing?).

Hoops are only horizontal stripes. They're called as such because they "hoop" around the players' body. And yes, that did come from Europe, but its since been adopted by horizontally-striped teams across the pond such as FC Dallas.

I don't think putting BJ'S on the froont of a jersey is a very good idea

Are you kidding? Five out of every four college "bros" would buy one.

Also... unrelated to the first two comments, but I must be the only person who didn't read that as "Atlantic City." The peach color and Coca-Cola sponsorship are quintessentially Atlanta to me. Perhaps you could consider dropping the "City" part when this is all said and done and become Atlanta SC, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Camden County // Premier League

camden1.jpg

Camden County was founded in 1902 as a union of the Campbell's company team and the Victor Talking Machine Company's team. The Campbells team was well established, however Victor's team quickly rose up as a force. Campbell's saw the future and knew only one team in Camden could survive and quickly choose to merge with the Victor team and become "Camden County" in 1904.

Even though the city itself has declined, the team has still gone strong. They've won an impressive 6 championships while being in the shadow of a number of teams from New York and Philadelphia. They play their matches at the Petty Island Grounds.

The team logo takes it shape from New Jersey road signs with an image of the famous Nipper Building. The star was added after their 5th championship in 1954.

The Camden County Uniform is a red jersey paired with white shorts and red socks with thin white stripes. The change kit is the exact reverse. Whenever they play Phila SC they wear red from head to toe.

camden2.jpgcamden3.jpgcamden4.jpgcamden5.jpg

The concept sketch for Camden County is below.

camden6.jpg

The Bahamas // America One

bahamas1.jpg

The Bahamas are another one of the Carribean teams in the America League. They were founded in 1960 and for many years were a travel partner with Aruba and Kingston. Those 3 teams still play no matter their league status in the Conch Derby. They play at the Nassau Grounds in Nassau.

The logo features a setting sun from their crest and is heavily inspired by the laid back attitude of its people and their flag with a bold yellow stripe set on as teal field.

The team's uniforms follow suit, featuring their trademark yellow on teal stripe while the change kit goes all white. Frequently they wear all white in order to force the opposing team to wear their dark colors in the strong Bahamian Sun. Inside the necktape is the country's motto: March On, Bahamaland.

bahamas2.jpgbahamas3.jpgbahamas4.jpgbahamas5.jpg

The sketch below was the inital thoughts on The Bahamas and they held true for the final uniforms and crest.

bahamas6.jpg

Austin SC // America Two

austin1.jpg

Austin Texas entered the America League in 1976. They've mainly stayed in America Two for most of their existance yet did make it to the Premier League for one season in 1984. The team took on the colors of Texas University because of an early agreement to play in Texas Memorial Stadium while their stadium, Austin City Park, was being built. It also allowed the fans to wear their already well established wardrobe of burnt orange.

The logo features a longhorn with a lamp and striping from the Austin City Crest. Austin SC is above in a bold text that screams "Texas."

The uniforms bare a bold stripe down the middle with additional stripes down each arm. Burnt Orange is prominent on both with black replacing white on the change kits.

austin2.jpgaustin3.jpgaustin4.jpgaustin5.jpg

The initial concept for Austin SC is shown below.

austin6.jpg

http://pcgdstudios.com/america-league-camden-county-the-bahamas-austin-sc/

Guest darkpiranha

Three more winners. However I have to confess that I don't get the lamp logo for Austin. Am I missing a well-known Austin reference to genies (and I live in Houston, so I'd be really surprised), or did you forget to add that detail?

(edit) Answered my own question. So there's a lamp in the Austin seal. I never once noticed that before. Interesting. The only references I can find to it are on Atheist websites, griping about Christian iconography on the seal. And the lamp is NOT a reference to a genie, lol, but of a lamp lighting the darkness (in other places, the lamp is usually sitting on top of a Bible).

This symbology lesson was brought to you by the Austin City Council. Keep it weird, Austin!

Guest darkpiranha

And what's that on the shoulders of Camden County? It almost looks like two mudflap-girl silhouettes sitting back to back.

Archived