Dallas Cowboys Football Uniform Concept

satansgoalie

I enjoyed making the Texas Tech uniform concept so much that I decided to work one up for the Cowboys. I've done one of these before and a few people freaked out when they saw it. Remember, this was just for fun. It's not like Jerry Jones is going to go with these next season, so everybody just relax...

205xg13.jpg

So now legit critiques are not allowed anymore? We base our criticisms on the concept. The concept has something that does not work within the rules of an NFL uniform. Therefore I made the critique. That's why the concepts forum has gone downhill. Too much coddling. I didn't insult him. I didn't say anything derogatory. I pointed out an actual, legitimate flaw in his concept.

Guest darkpiranha

So now legit critiques are not allowed anymore? We base our criticisms on the concept. The concept has something that does not work within the rules of an NFL uniform. Therefore I made the critique. That's why the concepts forum has gone downhill. Too much coddling. I didn't insult him. I didn't say anything derogatory. I pointed out an actual, legitimate flaw in his concept.

Well, he clearly stated in the original post that it was just for fun, so your saying that a concept "Can't have" something falls outside of the stringency of the critique he was looking for. If this was a forum that had as its basis a strict following of NFL (or whatever league) design rules, then great. But it's just concepts. Of which this was one. One that he said he was doing for fun, so following NFL rules goes right out the window when critiquing.

Guest darkpiranha

Actually, in all seriousness, what might need to happen is concepts being divided into "Authentic" and "Outside the Box" forums. There are many here that strive for absolutely authenticity, and I totally respect that and laud those that get these things correct right down to the stitching. But there are an equal number (or more) who just like to come up with fun, sometimes crazy ideas that would never in a million years be considered, and break every sort of rule imaginable. The only real conflict I ever see on these boards is when someone from one camp critiques someone from another camp, like in this thread.

If the forum was "Authenticity", then going into it, posting a concept would be implicitly asking people to nitpick it and point out the details that hinder that authenticity. In the "Just for Fun" forum, size and placement of the NFL logo, or having home and away helmets would never be an issue.

Seems like I hit him right in the feels.

The color balance is off. No silver on the home uniform but silver helmet on the road, silver on the home pants, but none on the blue.

I'd fix that first, and yes I "relaxed" before critiquing.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

My biggest concern is the star. The blue star with the white and blue outline is iconic. It's "just a star", but people instantly recognize it. Changing that would be the same as changing the NY on the Yankees' caps, the "C" on the Bears helmet, etc

Aside from that, I am not a fan of the grey side panels on the away jersey. Another point that I'm not a fan of is the fact that the side panels are solid, and then the pants have a triple line on them. They don't match, so I feel separately, the pant and jerseys work, but putting them together feels like they don't belong.

I love the Away helmet however, and I think you got the right font. I'm not a fan of the wordmark on the chest, because it feels too "college" to me. Getting the colors to match is huge, as the Cowboys haven't really done well with that at all.

At first, my reaction was a resounding no, but there's some good in this concept.

Changing the star is blasphemous, and unless this were a cowboys minor league affiliate or something, I can't imagine it working.

I really like the star sleeves. It works, it's creative, but it's not crazy-new. The side panels...ok, but the piping is unnecessary.

The font is bad. It's too big, and this whole old-west barbed character thing is so cliche. The cowboys are too classy for that, and this is coming from a Steelers fan.

The names on the front are way too high school. I get that Texas is high school football Mecca, but really, it's not for the NFL. Worse, and if you leave the names on, fix this. You have dallas on the home and cowboys on the road...the home fans know their city. Reverse those.

The whites are the bothersome jerseys here. That much gray doesn't work. Minimize its use. Rethink how it should work in the uniform as a whole. It should be there, but with more balance. The blues don't have this problem, they pop.

Alright, I hope that's not too hard on you, but I'm trying to be constructive and give my logic with it. There is good here, work with that.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

First, I'd like to thank everybody for their constructive criticism. There's been some pretty good advice shared.

Secondly (and I probably should have mentioned this from the get go), even though I used many (if not all) of the design cues from the real Dallas Cowboys, I still wanted to approach this project as if the they were a new, previously non-existent team. One without all of the history and tradition. I wasn't thinking about this as a re-brand but more of an expansion team.

Also, I didn't really intended on the two uniforms to be viewed as a "home" & "road". They were really meant to be like an "option 1" and an "option 2". That was my fault. I should have labeled them clearly.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments, keep 'em coming.

Archived