New Seattle Supersonics Logo Concept

The Reignman

Hi everyone,

With the anticipation of the NBA returning to Seattle next season (if the Kings sale to Chris Hansen goes through), I decided it was time for a new logo. Over the past few months I have been working on redesigning the Seattle Supersonics logo and jerseys. I have been reading many different posts/comments from different sports websites/forums and realized there is a common request when it comes to a new design. Many believe a new logo should take the old skyline logo (1975-1995) and incorporate the basketball into the design more cohesively. Here is my take on a new logo, alternate/secondary logo, and jerseys. Comments, constructive criticism, and suggestions are appreciated.

Main Logo Concept:
89348803-1871-44f6-ae72-2cb049eeea7e_zps
Alternate Logo Concept:
SonicsAltSecondaryLogo_zpsee9542c4.png
New Seattle Sonics Home/Away Jersey Concept:
SonicsHomeAwayJersey_zps617bcf51.png
New Seattle Sonics Home/Away Alternate Jersey Concept:
SonicsHomeAwayAltJersey_zps55bcc889.png

I surprise myself by saying I actually like the "Golden State-esque" uniforms. However, words running up and down the sides of shorts never looks good in my opinion.

Onto the logo. The mountains look completely out of place and the style doesn't match the buildings, which are silhouettes. Keep everything silhouettes for the sake of consistency. I'd say make the Space Needle larger since it is the only reason Seattle's skyline is so recognizable. Get rid of those little arches or rings or whatever they are below the mountains. (maybe I'm misinformed as to what they are, but if they are not known by the average fan, they don't belong in the logo). Also, get rid of what appears to be a tiny tiny flag on the building on the left side of the logo.

You've also seemed to have smashed the basketball lines downward on the circle. What I mean is the middle horizontal line should be near the middle of the ball, where as yours crossed the bottom 1/3 of the circle.

Re-work how the bottom of the skyline meets the basketball lines and you could end up with something nice that really works. The idea you have seems to match the style that a few of the recent NBA logos have (e.g. Golden State).

A few suggestions for the primary: 1) a little less of the ball, as the uppermost seam doesn't really do much but break up part of the skyline element; 2) the line going north/south within the ball can be aligned with one of the lines of the Space Needle.

I surprise myself by saying I actually like the "Golden State-esque" uniforms. However, words running up and down the sides of shorts never looks good in my opinion.

Onto the logo. The mountains look completely out of place and the style doesn't match the buildings, which are silhouettes. Keep everything silhouettes for the sake of consistency. I'd say make the Space Needle larger since it is the only reason Seattle's skyline is so recognizable. Get rid of those little arches or rings or whatever they are below the mountains. (maybe I'm misinformed as to what they are, but if they are not known by the average fan, they don't belong in the logo). Also, get rid of what appears to be a tiny tiny flag on the building on the left side of the logo.

You've also seemed to have smashed the basketball lines downward on the circle. What I mean is the middle horizontal line should be near the middle of the ball, where as yours crossed the bottom 1/3 of the circle.

Re-work how the bottom of the skyline meets the basketball lines and you could end up with something nice that really works. The idea you have seems to match the style that a few of the recent NBA logos have (e.g. Golden State).

Thanks for taking the time to give your input. The "mountains" in the background is actually just one mountain, Mt. Rainier. I'll make it more of just a silhouette and see how it looks. Also I'll look into changing the arches or getting rid of them altogether. They are a reference to the arches at the Pacific Science Center, which was the location for the 1962 Seattle World's Fair. I do agree the basketball lines need to be reworked and I'll see if I can make them more cohesive with the skyline.

The arches are the Pacific Science Center, which is right next to Key Arena. I agree with jaha's point of simplifying the skyline. I like the secondary because it pays homage to their first logo, but the basketball is too simple. Maybe put the space needle in there like the original did.

I'm not a fan of the uniforms much at all, sorry.

• 1 month later...

Just was looking at the concept here, because I heard of Hansen's increased bid on the news the other day. Overall the logo looks pretty good, but these might help clean it up:

First: change the color of Gold to the the gold/yellow that used to to be used by the Sonics.

Uniforms:

I agree the wording down the sides of the shorts should go.

Logos:

Yeah Mt. Rainer and the arches both look a little out of place for the logo. I'm not really a fan of the secondary logo, not really sure how to improve it though.

These are just suggestions, can't wait to see an update.

Agreed that Mt. Rainier looks out of place. The big thing is that the uniforms look way too similar to Golden State. Also, since they won't be assuming the od Supersonics' history, the est. 1967 doesn't work.

sport-scarf_reds_zpsbb317600.png

I echo what others have said that the skyline maybe has too much going on. My suggestion would be just work with the Space Needle and Mt. Ranier, I don't think you need the other buildings or arches. The logo when scaled down may be too detailed otherwise.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Archived