New Ohio State Logo

rmackman

I looked, and I didn't see any posts about this. If I missed it, then just delete this. Anyways, apparently Ohio State is changing their logo slightly. See below:

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2013/02/04/ohio-state-university-to-update-athletics-logo/

logo-compare.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old lettering with the thin white split does look a little dated, but the new one posted above seems sorta... clunky, for lack of a better term My guess is that isn't the official version, but someone's "colored-in" mock up, just to show how it'll probably look. I expect the solid black letters to be a little more steamlines, and professional (at least one would hope).

As an alumnus of tOSU, I don't have a huge reaction. This was never my favorite logo, anyway. I personally prefer the block O with leaf.e4gx0mhbqcf3erdsfueg2qq1x.gif

The change appears to be drawing some backlash from university blogs, students, and columnists in Columbus.

Can anyone provide some inght into the backlash regarding the current logo? What is the main complaint?

70389454.png

The change appears to be drawing some backlash from university blogs, students, and columnists in Columbus.

Can anyone provide some inght into the backlash regarding the current logo? What is the main complaint?

Probably just because it seems to be a change for the sake of change. Although it is a little more legible with the lines filled in.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

the guys at the Land Grant Holy Land blog were complaining about it. thats all ive seen on it. me and others have had our shots in on it too, but nothing else ive heard from the public

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

That definitely looks better than the mock-ups we've seen. Interesting that they seem to be trying to use their athletic identity to brand themselves academically. To me, it screams "bush league" when a school doubles up on the same mark for academics and athletics.

That definitely looks better than the mock-ups we've seen. Interesting that they seem to be trying to use their athletic identity to brand themselves academically. To me, it screams "bush league" when a school doubles up on the same mark for academics and athletics.

It is one institution, only makes sense to tie athletics and academics together under one set of marks.

If this is the official logo below it looks like they did more than just fill in the empty spaces. Weird that the S isn't centered inside of the O.

Screen-shot-2013-03-14-at-9.12.44-PM.png

thats more like what im expecting, and i wouldnt be surprised if that were actually it, but even i havent seen it yet. i think it looks good

i like what they're doing. its the smart move branding wise; put everything under 1 umbrella (the Block O).

GRAPHIC ARTIST

I think it's Busch League when they don't. Of course, I AM an IU fan, so I may be a tad biased...

Only schools with simple, well-established, baseball-style monograms (usually of the "varsity letter" variety) can pull that off. In most cases, to double-up on a mark for academics and athletics is extremely limiting to the identity of both.

I'm a fan of the different logos for academics and athletics. I think my alma mater Illinois does it well with a block-I for athletics and a column-I for academics. Each is fitting of the mission of what they represent. Using one for the other would not do either justice.

As for Ohio, they clearly needed a new academic logo, but I don't love that they've chosen the block-O. As for the athletics update, it's a slight improvement, but they'd have been better off revisiting the entire Ohio State script inside the O. I've never been a fan of those letter forms and wish they'd have modified the shapes.

I think it's Busch League when they don't. Of course, I AM an IU fan, so I may be a tad biased...

Only schools with simple, well-established, baseball-style monograms (usually of the "varsity letter" variety) can pull that off. In most cases, to double-up on a mark for academics and athletics is extremely limiting to the identity of both.

really, with a block monogram? theres nothing more common in college athletics then that. an identity is made to identify a product and separate it from it's competitors. theres more then 1 way to do this, but you cant make your identity one of the trees in the forrest and then spend the rest of your money trying to stand out. when your brand is strong (like OSU) you have more options. usually this means simplifying things (Coca-Cola, McDonalds, Apple, Starbucks, etc). i think everything they're doing is making it stronger

this isnt a lot different then what they do now anyway, the Block O is used on athletic references but it's currently an alternate logo. in the end, you still have an academic logo and the Athletic O.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

really, with a block monogram? theres nothing more common in college athletics then that. an identity is made to identify a product and separate it from it's competitors. theres more then 1 way to do this, but you cant make your identity one of the trees in the forrest and then spend the rest of your money trying to stand out. when your brand is strong (like OSU) you have more options. when your brand is strong (like OSU) you have more options. usually this means simplifying things (Coca-Cola, McDonalds, Apple, Starbucks, etc). i think everything they're doing is making it stronger

this isnt a lot different then what they do now anyway, the Block O is used on athletic references but it's currently an alternate logo. in the end, you still have an academic logo and the Athletic O.

That's why I put the "well-established" part in there... block letters usually only work for schools that are firmly entrenched in the academic and athletic worlds. A school like Ohio State can pull this off where an Oklahoma State or Ohio University probably couldn't (not a judgment of the quality of those schools, they just don't have the brand recognition of Ohio State).

I get why Ohio State would want to make the block O part of their athletic brand. I even think it works for them... I'm just saying that philosophically, I don't like it. :D

Archived