2013 NCAA Tournament

thespleenenator

How the hell does Oregon get a 12 seed, and UCLA get a 6 seed? Oregon got the same seed as Akron. How does that make sense at all?

Lessee....you didn't win a weak ass Conference despite sweeping UCLA, and the most challenging non-Conference opponents were Cincinnati (which you lost to), UNLV, and *shrugs* Vandy, I guess. Show some ambition out of the league some time.

Cincinnati and UNLV are better than what a lot of other BCS conference teams did. And Oregon BEAT UNLV AT UNLV. And Oregon WON the conference tournament. They are 26-8. Why does UCLA get a 6 seed even though A. Oregon swept then, B. They had a better record than UCLA, and C. They're best non conference win (UNLV) was better than UCLA's (Mizzou).

UCLA won the :censored: ing league outright. Let's start with that.

Can you name examples that got higher seeds that didn't win a better Conference or something else of note?

Oh, and Cal might want to investigate that 8-5 non-conference record. At least they scheduled slightly more ambitiously than Oregon, but, um, they kind of lost to every team that posed a challenge. And then finished the season poorly.

Well Oregon won the Tournament by beating UCLA.

Let me ask first, do you believe that Oregon deserves a 12 seed?

Oregon probably got underseeded, but they played a very weak schedule and the Pac-12 was weak for a "power" conference this year. Schedule tough games non-conference if you want to be rewarded on Selection Sunday.

For the record, I'm picking Oregon to beat Oklahoma State.

I'm not going to argue that they deserve a 5 seed or anything, but I would think that a 7 or 8 would be the minimum that a power conference team would get with 26 wins and a conference tourney victory.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How the hell does Oregon get a 12 seed, and UCLA get a 6 seed? Oregon got the same seed as Akron. How does that make sense at all?

Lessee....you didn't win a weak ass Conference despite sweeping UCLA, and the most challenging non-Conference opponents were Cincinnati (which you lost to), UNLV, and *shrugs* Vandy, I guess. Show some ambition out of the league some time.

Cincinnati and UNLV are better than what a lot of other BCS conference teams did. And Oregon BEAT UNLV AT UNLV. And Oregon WON the conference tournament. They are 26-8. Why does UCLA get a 6 seed even though A. Oregon swept then, B. They had a better record than UCLA, and C. They're best non conference win (UNLV) was better than UCLA's (Mizzou).

Can you name examples that got higher seeds that didn't win a better Conference or something else of note?

Oh, and Cal might want to investigate that 8-5 non-conference record. At least they scheduled slightly more ambitiously than Oregon, but, um, they kind of lost to every team that posed a challenge. And then finished the season poorly.

Lessee, 46 RPI, didn't win a weak Conference, instead of playing good teams out of league decided to terrorize the ever-loving :censored: out of the lower division of the Big Sky Conference (28 Conference RPI), a Great West team (32 Conference RPI), and a postseason-ineligible SWAC (31 Conference RPI) team. All said, sounds about right, particularly because the committee has never exactly hidden how it rewards more ambitious OOC scheduling.

Honestly, a 12 seed sounds about right. Get somebody better on the schedule next year.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Lessee, 46 RPI, didn't win a weak Conference, instead of playing good teams out of league decided to terrorize the ever-loving :censored: out of the lower division of the Big Sky Conference (28 Conference RPI), a Great West team (32 Conference RPI), and a postseason-ineligible SWAC (31 Conference RPI) team. All said, sounds about right, particularly because the committee has never exactly hidden how it rewards more ambitious OOC scheduling.

Honestly, a 12 seed sounds about right. Get somebody better on the schedule next year.

They won the conference tournament. That alone should put them at least at a 10 seed.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

They won the conference tournament. That alone should put them at least at a 10 seed.

That and $5.00 gets you a cup of coffee. Congratulations on your autobid. That's all you're entitled to. (It's also not like you had a challenging path to the tournament finals. I see that win over Utah in the semis.)

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That and $5.00 gets you a cup of coffee. Congratulations on your autobid. That's all you're entitled to. (It's also not like you had a challenging path to the tournament finals. I see that win over Utah in the semis.)

True, but they had to beat UCLA in the finals. And I'm not arguing that they deserve a high seed, I just think that a 12 seed is astronomically low.

True, but they had to beat UCLA in the finals. And I'm not arguing that they deserve a high seed, I just think that a 12 seed is astronomically low.

Not when you played a grand total of 3 RPI top 100 teams OOC. And lost to two of them. Hell, you scheduled as many teams with sub-300 RPIs.

Today, we are all otaku.

Not when you played a grand total of 3 RPI top 100 teams OOC. And lost to two of them. Hell, you scheduled as many teams with sub-300 RPIs.

St.Mary's played a worse schedule, and got a higher seed than Oregon. Hell many teams played a worse, or just as bad a schedule as Oregon, and then still got Higher seeds than them. How about Villanova. They beat NOBODY in their nonconference (where they got blown out by Alabama and Temple), went 20-13, and got a 9 seed. Do you really think Villanova deserves a higher seed than Oregon?

St.Mary's played a worse schedule, and got a higher seed than Oregon. Hell many teams played a worse, or just as bad a schedule as Oregon, and then still got Higher seeds than them. How about Villanova. They beat NOBODY in their nonconference (where they got blown out by Alabama and Temple), went 20-13, and got a 9 seed. Do you really think Villanova deserves a higher seed than Oregon?

Well the Big East wasn't a dumpster fire either, so that kind of balances out for the Wildcats. As does the whole "beat Syracuse and Louisville (EDIT, and Georgetown and Marquette" thing. And St. Mary's has as many RPI top 50 OOC victories as Oregon. As well as a 31 RPI. It also kind of helped the Gaels that they beat everyone not named "Gonzaga" that was on their schedule after the new year.

Today, we are all otaku.

According to the chairman of the Selection Committee, straight seedings had Oregon on the 10- or 11-line.

However, when it comes time to putting the logistics of the full bracket together, teams get moved up or down the totem pole to satisfy the NCAA's rules on team placement. Supposedly the committee releases their #1-68 rankings for the teams in the tournament at some point.

Also, past committees have mentioned in the past that they don't place too much stock in the conference tournaments. Teams may jump up one line in the seedings, but that's about it. To expect a team to jump from a 12-seed to an 8-seed just for winning the conference tournament is a bit much. And, for what it's worth, Ole Miss is a 12-seed too, and they won their conference tournament.

Not that I'm much of an expert of college basketball, but teams are judged by the totality of the season and how they're trending....not just how they performed in the final week of the season.

According to the chairman of the Selection Committee, straight seedings had Oregon on the 10- or 11-line.

However, when it comes time to putting the logistics of the full bracket together, teams get moved up or down the totem pole to satisfy the NCAA's rules on team placement. Supposedly the committee releases their #1-68 rankings for the teams in the tournament at some point.

Also, past committees have mentioned in the past that they don't place too much stock in the conference tournaments. Teams may jump up one line in the seedings, but that's about it. To expect a team to jump from a 12-seed to an 8-seed just for winning the conference tournament is a bit much. And, for what it's worth, Ole Miss is a 12-seed too, and they won their conference tournament.

Not that I'm much of an expert of college basketball, but teams are judged by the totality of the season and how they're trending....not just how they performed in the final week of the season.

Oregon being a 10 seed is something I wouldn't have agreed with, but I could see the reasoning behind it. I'm just saying that it's a bit ridiculous that they team that won the Pac-12 tournament, and a team that went 26-8, gets the same seed as Akron.

You're putting way too much emphasis on the conference tournaments.

The Selection Committee cares about regular season championships a helluvah lot more. Winning a conference tournament maybe nets you one higher seed, but they largely don't matter much when it comes to selecting teams and seeding them.

Oregon being a 10 seed is something I wouldn't have agreed with, but I could see the reasoning behind it. I'm just saying that it's a bit ridiculous that they team that won the Pac-12 tournament, and a team that went 26-8, gets the same seed as Akron.

You should feel good about playing OkState. Akron should have beat them this season. Went to double-overtime with the Zips missing 2 starters. Since Akron is so awful you should have no problem.

The Selection Committee cares about regular season championships a helluvah lot more. Winning a conference tournament maybe nets you one higher seed, but they largely don't matter much when it comes to selecting teams and seeding them.

So then would Oregon have been a 14 seed had they not won? Would they have been out of the tournament completely?

So then would Oregon have been a 14 seed had they not won? Would they have been out of the tournament completely?

Probably exactly where they are right now. The games aren't looked at any different because it's in the conference tournament. They beat Washington, Utah, and UCLA (without their 2nd leading scorer) on neutral sites. That's one good, not great, win. You don't get any bonus points because it's in the conference tournament, especially as weak as the Pac-12 was this year.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

From misspelling the title, to not knowing that UConn was ineligible due to APR, to the last 2.5 hours complaining about a team which received an at-large bid, you have single-handedly taken away much of my interest in this year's tournament. Bravo, spleen.

Probably exactly where they are right now. The games aren't looked at any different because it's in the conference tournament. They beat Washington, Utah, and UCLA (without their 2nd leading scorer) on neutral sites. That's one good, not great, win. You don't get any bonus points because it's in the conference tournament, especially as weak as the Pac-12 was this year.

So then the whole "you move up a slot or two by winning the conference tournament" is wrong. That's the problem. It's not that they received a very small bump, it's that they received no bump at all. It's like the committee's minds were made up before hand.

From misspelling the title, to not knowing that UConn was ineligible due to APR, to the last 2.5 hours complaining about a team which received an at-large bid, you have single-handedly taken away much of my interest in this year's tournament. Bravo, spleen.

It was an automatic bid. See how easy it is to make a mistake?

Archived