2013 NCAA Tournament

thespleenenator

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oregon being a 10 seed is something I wouldn't have agreed with, but I could see the reasoning behind it. I'm just saying that it's a bit ridiculous that they team that won the Pac-12 tournament, and a team that went 26-8, gets the same seed as Akron.

You know, I've been meaning to mention this. Akron has a 47 RPI compared to Oregon's 46.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I have Wichita State and Creighton as my sleeper picks other than Saint Louis. And I have Duke, Gonzaga, Georgetown, and Miami in the Final Four. Gonzaga over Miami in the Natty.

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

I think this year with the parity there would be complaining regardless of seeds. Go beat who you draw is what I say.

I know they would never do this, but it would be fun if once the committee divided the teams into four geographic regions and then did an unseeded draw. Again, never would happen.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Oregon being a 10 seed is something I wouldn't have agreed with, but I could see the reasoning behind it. I'm just saying that it's a bit ridiculous that they team that won the Pac-12 tournament, and a team that went 26-8, gets the same seed as Akron.

You know, I've been meaning to mention this. Akron has a 47 RPI compared to Oregon's 46.

His comparison is ridiculous. It's like a Michigan fan complaining that they are the same seed as St. Louis.

I'm still somewhat fuzzy on the NCAA bracket placement rules and such but I think we put too much stock on the Conference tournaments, while those are really just for AQ's vs At-Larges. Remember, selection process is based on the complete body of work throughout the season.

Personally, I would have Oregon somewhere between a 7 seed to a 10 seed. I still had UCLA a seed or two better than Oregon.

I did matchup Michigan vs South Dakota State. I had Michigan at a #6 and the Jackrabbits at an #11.

I did have California at a #12 seed.

Well, more to come. I'm half way through filling out the bracket backgrounds. Time to do the other half.

I'm not a good judge, so I'm asking you guys, is 2013 the year that a 16 seed finally topple a 1 seed?

I'm not putting it in my bracket but I think there is a legit chance. LIU-Brooklyn is a team that is capable of doing so.

mcbqza.jpg

Alright, it's time to fill out this bracket! I'll be doing intensive research; there's no stone I will leave unturned.

*begins flipping a coin*

edit: here's my haggard, absurd bracket.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I did matchup Michigan vs South Dakota State. I had Michigan at a #6 and the Jackrabbits at an #11.

A 6 seed? What is with the national underrating of Michigan? That team smoked Kansas State on a neutral floor and had OOC wins over NC State and Pitt. They were ranked number 1 at one point in time, have lost to only top 5 seeds save 1 game, and have a better roster/more experience than last year's team that got upset. They're going to have the best player on the floor in almost every game they play.

What ultimately wins these things is usually guard play. Michigan has probably the best 1-2 guard combo in the country. For all the pundits slathering over VCU, they have not played a team with that talent level at guard all season. Missouri has a legit PG and Duke has a serviceable PG and a high-caliber off-guard.

I'm not a good judge, so I'm asking you guys, is 2013 the year that a 16 seed finally topple a 1 seed?

Gonzaga is really the only vulnerable one, IMO. Lousville is red hot, has a ton of weapons, and gets to play in Kentucky. Kansas has a non-diverse offense, but they get to play in Kansas City and the place will be 80% obnoxious KU fans. Indiana gets to play in Dayton and their fans travel very well. Plus, they have a ton of weapons and IU has not played down to its competition all season.

Zaga has to play in Salt Lake, which makes it a true road/neutral game. It's a smaller fanbase and they may not travel that well (would expect a ton of Zona and New Mexico fans there rooting against Zaga). While Zaga blew out a lot of people, they've also played down to their opponents at times in what should be bigger games (see Clemson, Wash. State, Baylor, Illinois), so I could easily see Zaga overlooking Southern and prepping for Pittsburgh/Wich. State.

A 6 seed? What is with the national underrating of Michigan?

They faded down the stretch of the regular season and started losing to teams like Penn State. Then they laid an egg in their conference tournament after that. Michigan is one of those teams who are lucky that it's all about body of work for the whole year, because they did not finish well at all.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I was really hoping we (JMU) wouldn't have to be in a play-in game... I know its a 99.9999999999% impending loss to a powerhouse regardless, but the early projection of playing in Philly was a lot better travel-wise than to head to Dayton. I'm hoping I get a lottery ticket though.

In related news, LIU-Brooklyn may have gotten an even bigger edge with this bad news... http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21900533/report-james-madisons-leading-scorer-rayshawn-goins-arrested

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

They faded down the stretch of the regular season and started losing to teams like Penn State. Then they laid an egg in their conference tournament after that. Michigan is one of those teams who are lucky that it's all about body of work for the whole year, because they did not finish well at all.

Laid an egg in their conference tournament? They lost to a very good Wisconsin team. And the Penn State loss is bad, but almost everybody in the country has bad losses this year. Penn State also played Michigan tough in Ann Arbor a week before that. It seemed more like one of those cases where Penn State just has Michigan's number for whatever reason. They also beat Ohio State and Michigan State down the stretch and lost by 1 to IU. If that's considered fading down the stretch, I'd take that most of the time.

I'd be really scared if Michigan were a 4 seed in my region. Great guard play wins games in the NCAA Tournament and they might have the best one in the country. Throw Hardaway in there and it's difficult to find a better two guards in the tournament. And their bigs are more than capable to handle a team that's good down low.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

8 days ago, Michigan lost by 1 point to a 1-seed where they were basically playing for a share of the title in the toughest conference in America. If going 12-6 in the B1G is "fading," then I'd be curious how you can find 20 teams who didn't similarly "fade" in conference or worse. PSU is the only bad loss on their entire year, and it's not like road losses in the B1G are uncommon.

One of the reasons the selection committee no longer looks at how teams "finish" is that it unfairly penalizes teams who play in ridiculously tough conferences while rewarding those who play weaklings. It also is a very weak indicator of success in the NCAAs.

MSU's 09-10 team is a good example. They were ranked in single digits for much of the year. They went 5-5 over their last 10 games and lost in the 1st round of the BTN to a mediocre Minnesota team. They dropped to a 5 seed and then - poof - went to the Final Four on the strength of superior talent and an elite PG. The same thing happened with Florida in their first title run - they were only like a 3 or 4 seed b/c they "faded" in SEC play after being highly regarded all year.

Teams lose in conference tournaments only to win in the real deal all the time. And it's not like NCAA play is equivalent to playing Wisconsin in a Big Ten game at all.

Archived