2013 NCAA Tournament

thespleenenator

NCAA1 - Indiana over Louisville (other Final Four: Wisconsin and Kansas)

NCAA2 - Duke over UNLV (other Final Four: Kansas St. and Georgetown)

NIT - Kentucky over St. Joseph's (other Final Four: Louisiana Tech and Maryland)

CBI - Texas over Lehigh (other Final Four: Purdue and Richmond)

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it's worth, I've got Gonzaga over Florida in the title game, Louisville and Indiana other Final Four picks.

Belmont and Davidson are my sleeper picks.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

A 6 seed? What is with the national underrating of Michigan?

They faded down the stretch of the regular season and started losing to teams like Penn State. Then they laid an egg in their conference tournament after that. Michigan is one of those teams who are lucky that it's all about body of work for the whole year, because they did not finish well at all.

8 days ago, Michigan lost by 1 point to a 1-seed where they were basically playing for a share of the title in the toughest conference in America. If going 12-6 in the B1G is "fading," then I'd be curious how you can find 20 teams who didn't similarly "fade" in conference or worse. PSU is the only bad loss on their entire year, and it's not like road losses in the B1G are uncommon.

One of the reasons the selection committee no longer looks at how teams "finish" is that it unfairly penalizes teams who play in ridiculously tough conferences while rewarding those who play weaklings. It also is a very weak indicator of success in the NCAAs.

MSU's 09-10 team is a good example. They were ranked in single digits for much of the year. They went 5-5 over their last 10 games and lost in the 1st round of the BTN to a mediocre Minnesota team. They dropped to a 5 seed and then - poof - went to the Final Four on the strength of superior talent and an elite PG. The same thing happened with Florida in their first title run - they were only like a 3 or 4 seed b/c they "faded" in SEC play after being highly regarded all year.

Teams lose in conference tournaments only to win in the real deal all the time. And it's not like NCAA play is equivalent to playing Wisconsin in a Big Ten game at all.

You can't deny that Michigan has trouble with 1) finishing games and 2) falling asleep at the wheel, though. Overall I think a 3 or a 4 seed is about right for the Wolverines given what they've shown thus far.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A 6 seed? What is with the national underrating of Michigan?

They faded down the stretch of the regular season and started losing to teams like Penn State. Then they laid an egg in their conference tournament after that. Michigan is one of those teams who are lucky that it's all about body of work for the whole year, because they did not finish well at all.

8 days ago, Michigan lost by 1 point to a 1-seed where they were basically playing for a share of the title in the toughest conference in America. If going 12-6 in the B1G is "fading," then I'd be curious how you can find 20 teams who didn't similarly "fade" in conference or worse. PSU is the only bad loss on their entire year, and it's not like road losses in the B1G are uncommon.

One of the reasons the selection committee no longer looks at how teams "finish" is that it unfairly penalizes teams who play in ridiculously tough conferences while rewarding those who play weaklings. It also is a very weak indicator of success in the NCAAs.

MSU's 09-10 team is a good example. They were ranked in single digits for much of the year. They went 5-5 over their last 10 games and lost in the 1st round of the BTN to a mediocre Minnesota team. They dropped to a 5 seed and then - poof - went to the Final Four on the strength of superior talent and an elite PG. The same thing happened with Florida in their first title run - they were only like a 3 or 4 seed b/c they "faded" in SEC play after being highly regarded all year.

Teams lose in conference tournaments only to win in the real deal all the time. And it's not like NCAA play is equivalent to playing Wisconsin in a Big Ten game at all.

You can't deny that Michigan has trouble with 1) finishing games and 2) falling asleep at the wheel, though. Overall I think a 3 or a 4 seed is about right for the Wolverines given what they've shown thus far.

With a twinge of homerism at play (because, this year, why the hell not), I have a Florida vs. Michigan Regional Final.

Maybe Florida playing their Big Ten equivalent will help them not completely self-detonate, should that matchup come to pass. Because, geez, the bolded part is just as true for Florida as it is for Michigan.

spacer.png

I got Saint Louis beating Indiana in the championship game.

My big upset is that South Dakota State beats a young Michigan team that looks ahead.

Also can a mod please correct the spelling in the thread title? That's starting to bug me too.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I have Louisville over Georgetown, with Ohio State and Miami the other two.

That East bracket is weird. I think Indiana, Syracuse, Miami, Davidson and Marquette could all win the region.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Funny you mention those two names. The Wall Street Journal does this "Blindfold Bracket" thing where the team identites are hidden and you make your picks (except the play-in games, weak sauce). My final four ended up being Belmont, Davidson, Kansas, and Saint Louis.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I have Ohio State over Indiana. I guess I am buying into the Big Ten hype.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Funny you mention those two names. The Wall Street Journal does this "Blindfold Bracket" thing where the team identites are hidden and you make your picks (except the play-in games, weak sauce). My final four ended up being Belmont, Davidson, Kansas, and Saint Louis.

I just came here to post this. It seems Saint Louis is a popular pick to go far in this. It's pretty easy to pick out the teams if you know anything about them though. My Final Four here was Duke, Syracuse, Florida, and Gonzaga with Duke beating Syracuse in the championship. Not really close at all to what I actually picked.

http://projects.wsj.com/blindfold-brackets-2013/

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I have Ohio State over Indiana. I guess I am buying into the Big Ten hype.

Same. I'm amused that I had the '11 Ohio State team, a #1 overall seed, flaming out in the Round of 16 to Kentucky (which they did), but the next two editions, who had fewer accolades, I've picked to go to the NCG or win the NCG. I think Matta's crew finally gets over the top.

spacer.png

Here are my picks

http://sportsecyclop...3finalfour.html

comments?

Wisconsin, when they play well, can beat very good teams. But I don't think it's likely that they will show up twice in the West Regional.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Here are my picks

http://sportsecyclop...3finalfour.html

comments?

Wisconsin, when they play well, can beat very good teams. But I don't think it's likely that they will show up twice in the West Regional.

Love their defense, I was almost tempted to pick them to go to Atlanta

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

In the NIT, Kentucky loses to Robert Morris, Robert :censored: Morris. I can't believe that this was the same school that won the National Championship last year. This has to be very embarrassing to the program.

My reaction to this debacle

laughing-o.gif

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Archived