New UConn Logo

Cujo

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a much needed improvement over the old logo. If only they redo the Louisville logo (Adidas stinks anyway).

What's wrong with Louisville's logo? That's one of the all time classics, and it's still distinctive among the similar styles we're accustomed to seeing lately.

You're joking right? All time classic? It's a bird with teeth for crying out loud. Last time I checked Cardinals don't have teeth. And human teeth on top of it.

Not a joke at all. The fact that it's been around for 30 years is a good indicator that something's unique and it's stood the test of time, conceptually. Last time I checked, lions aren't blue and penguins can't skate, either. These logos are fun. That's what makes them classics and it's also what makes them distinctive. It's nice to have a break from the hyper-realistic and overly intimidating logos that have flooded the scene.

I agree with Harry on this one. I prefer diversity among logos, as long as they are all executed well. There are many talented designers out there whose work I enjoy seeing, and I think it would suck to get to a point where an entire league was standardized in such a fashion that there was only one design firm handling the business. Different aesthetics work better for different teams and leagues. I think we're just going through another phase of sports aesthetic... some looks will stick, others will fade... just the nature of the business. I can see the same things being said about Fraser being said about guys like Harrington and CJ in the future.

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

Here's the logo there posting on the UConn Facebook page. 58531_600076453335946_1831498567_n.jpg

I have to say I like the logo and think it's a big improvement over the previous one, but there is something I find a little odd about it. I might be wrong, as I haven't seen the tip-off images that were apparently posted by Fraser a while back, but I cant help but feel there's been more than one pair of hands at work on this one.

The top half just doesn't seem to have the exact same style as the bottom half. The differences are subtle, but they're there. The top half seems to rely more on almost straight lines to create shapes. There is some curvature to many of the lines but many of the stronger shapes are made up with lines which feature only the subtlest of curves.

Contrast that with the bottom half of the logo where you have some really eloquent flowing curves, for example in the way the lower teeth are rendered and hopefully you'll see what I mean. If I was to hazard a guess I'd say that someone has come along and made the top half ever so slightly more angular at a later stage, in order to make it look more aggressive.

Like I said I might be wrong perhaps it's always been that way the difference is subtle but it's something I feel is there. Either way it's a big improvement on what came before.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

i cant speak for Fraser (or Nike) but it seems they've taken each one of his logos and worked on them a bit. to be honest, in the areas i've noticed, Nike has made each one worse.

I am just going to let you type my thoughts because I was thinking the same thing. :P

I guess Nike has to make sure they Nikefy everything.

i cant speak for Fraser (or Nike) but it seems they've taken each one of his logos and worked on them a bit. to be honest, in the areas i've noticed, Nike has made each one worse.

You need to quit this because I was thinking the same thing.

I guess Nike has to make sure they Nikefy everything.

LOL, and it's odd things too like on the Beaver's logo. from what FD had on dribbble and the final version they changed the bottom of the tooth and the whisker marks. im guessing they made Georgia's bulldog un-symmetrical (thats a word right?) too. it seems they've gone in on details and :censored:ed them up

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Here's the logo there posting on the UConn Facebook page. 58531_600076453335946_1831498567_n.jpg

I have to say I like the logo and think it's a big improvement over the previous one, but there is something I find a little odd about it. I might be wrong, as I haven't seen the tip-off images that were apparently posted by Fraser a while back, but I cant help but feel there's been more than one pair of hands at work on this one.

The top half just doesn't seem to have the exact same style as the bottom half. The differences are subtle, but they're there. The top half seems to rely more on almost straight lines to create shapes. There is some curvature to many of the lines but many of the stronger shapes are made up with lines which feature only the subtlest of curves.

Contrast that with the bottom half of the logo where you have some really eloquent flowing curves, for example in the way the lower teeth are rendered and hopefully you'll see what I mean. If I was to hazard a guess I'd say that someone has come along and made the top half ever so slightly more angular at a later stage, in order to make it look more aggressive.

Like I said I might be wrong perhaps it's always been that way the difference is subtle but it's something I feel is there. Either way it's a big improvement on what came before.

9erssteve

Here's a look at Fraser's original version. I managed to find this online (designspiration or pinterest, can't remember which) when the initial news of the change came out. It's not very helpful on the top half, but you can see a few alterations in the mouth area.

UconnLogo_zps97d804c9.png

9erssteve

Here's a look at Fraser's original version. I managed to find this online (designspiration or pinterest, can't remember which) when the initial news of the change came out. It's not very helpful on the top half, but you can see a few alterations in the mouth area.

UconnLogo_zps97d804c9.png

Yeah they've tweaked the mouth a fair bit, and with regards the top half, I think I may have been right. Look at how much farther the dark triangular details on the sides of the head now come into the white, and how much longer the two dark spikes that frame the eyes are. I know Fraser likes to distort his images to protect them when he puts them online but surely that alone cant explain the differences.

Looks like Fraser's leaked version might also have had a body or at least some sort of shoulders to it. Would be interesting to know if there's still a version like that in the final logo suite or not.

9erssteve

Oh and what the hell did the nostrils do to upset Nike so much they nixed? Reminds me of the joke... My Huskie has no nose... ;)

9ersstevesig.png

I know everyone is busy loving this logo, but I can't help but think that this is a majorly generic looking logo. Nothing about this is distinctive at all. Their previous logo could at least separate them from all the other husky teams. This doesn't.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

This logo is a humongous downgrade. Who didn't like the old huskie? That thing was fantastic!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The old logo made me think of a collie. The UConn Lassies!

This one is clearly a husky.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Chawls, man the silver trim is such an improvement. the best way to do it is to drop all those outer strokes though. the thing about warm colors is they're attention whores. lining everything in red just attracts your eye to that unecessary, puiny outline. it really cheapens the whole thing. at least with the silver version it dosent jump out at you.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Chawls, man the silver trim is such an improvement. the best way to do it is to drop all those outer strokes though. the thing about warm colors is they're attention whores. lining everything in red just attracts your eye to that unecessary, puiny outline. it really cheapens the whole thing. at least with the silver version it dosent jump out at you.

Not to mention the light blue eyes, Chawls' version looks more refined.

Archived