Canadian Football League 2013 Season

walby2

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zactly. The Grey Cup champs are 1-2 (same as after their first three games last season), and happened to finish the 2012 season a measly 9-9, but still won the championship. That kind of logic only works in leagues without a playoff (Barclays Premiership, FBS).

Oh - and the concept of divisions clearly needs a number higher than 2 to work at all.

How's the expansion draft going to work? Could Ottawa end up with Tate or Burris?

God forbid Edmonton loses a QB. Mike Rielly is really all they have, seeing as Nicholls is already injury prone (and not all that good)

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

-Last year, by the end of Week 2, Saskatchewan were already proven to be the best team using the method I used before (for this year). The team that beat the Riders, Calgary, in Week 4 ended up in the Grey Cup against....the Argos, a 9-9 team with a below-average strength of schedule.

In a sense all the Eastern teams have a below average strength of schedule--that's the main reason the crossover was introduced.

Why were the Argos allowed to play the Stamps in the Grey Cup/the Stamps allowed to play Saskatchewan in Week 4?

Like monkeypower--I have no idea what this really means.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

The Stamps are going to have a tough decision go with Captain Glass Drew Tate and hope the past 2 seasons are just a blip on the radar or keep Kevin Glenn who has found his starting game. I could see the REDBLECHS taking Glenn if he is available along side a young QB like Willy as a 1-2 combo... Hell I hope Tino Sunseri doesnt see the field this season... the way he looked this preseason and all the reports from practices seem to say he has all the tools...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

"why apply some sense of "continual meaning" to the past results of some games and not others?"

The entire body of work is taken into account at the end of the season. It is a cumulative result that determines where a team places in the playoffs. Just because Team A has a bad game against Team B does not mean they have no right to challenge Team C the following week.

"Why have a Grey Cup at all?"

Seriously?

"Why aren't games "bowls" or "derby legs?"

Some of them are.

"Why are some games so meaningless (this is the main problem for modern sports leagues looking to grow their audiences and gain notoriety)?"

That's a side effect of the standings model. When Team A is disqualified from the playoffs, the rest of their season effectively becomes meaningless with regard to the effect on their own playoff hopes, but not necessarily meaningless for their opponents, as Team A can still play spoiler.

"Next year, if the CFL switches to a balanced schedule (16 games), why have divisions at all?"

This is the only thing you have said that makes a shred of sense. If the playoff standings were determined in a table format a la Premiership, there would be no need for divisions. Thing is, the extra 2 games are there for a reason - to increase the prominence of geographical rivalries.

"If the CFL keeps an 18-game schedule, and each team will play their closest geographic rival twice more, why not accept that "four division, two-or-three-teams-per division, with an optional 'conference' structure" that I proposed before if the teams that play each other should be in the same division?"

Take a look at college football. Yes, it's great to have your rivalry games. That's for local bragging rights. The reason for the playoff and the rest of the season is to determine the best team in the LEAGUE, via a playoff. The Premiership takes the season's body of work and awards their championship that way, but North American sports usually adopt a playoff structure.

"Lots of arbitrary, but traditional, structures are currently in place, does anybody else feel...belittled? Annoyed? I'm sure there are other factors at play in deciding a major league business' structure. Perhaps the best metaphor for my feelings are the 2 points for a win/1 for a tie points system...it's logical, but could fit me better with some changes to other aspects of more hidden, unknown, and/or less-interesting competition structure."

Stop posting, please.

The Stamps are going to have a tough decision go with Captain Glass Drew Tate and hope the past 2 seasons are just a blip on the radar or keep Kevin Glenn who has found his starting game. I could see the REDBLECHS taking Glenn if he is available along side a young QB like Willy as a 1-2 combo... Hell I hope Tino Sunseri doesnt see the field this season... the way he looked this preseason and all the reports from practices seem to say he has all the tools...

In the long term I'd be more worried about the REDBLACKS taking Bo Levi Mitchell from the Stamps.

IEI5Tg1.png

Stop feeding the stoner when he has the munchies.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I get it, I step on people's toes when talking about league structure, fairness, balance, and boring things like schedule format. It's like saying that the Middle Ages never happened.

Weirdest. Comparison. Ever.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

I get it, I step on people's toes when talking about league structure, fairness, balance, and boring things like schedule format. It's like saying that the Middle Ages never happened. It's one thing to suggest that "the champion has already been crowned," but what good is thinking that when you know that the players on the field don't know and that nobody cares?

Oh G-d, you're one of those "new chronology" whack jobs? Why does it not surprise me?

Eeek. Let's get this thread back on track again.

Week 5 has the Boatmen traveling to Winnipeg on Friday Night Football. Will Toronto's defense be able to pick up their game after the thrashing at the hands of the Green Riders? Will Chad Simpson's running game make an impact? And what's the over-under on how many minutes into the game Buck Pierce will get a concussion? Tune in on Friday Night Football on TSN, 8 pm Eastern.

Toronto should win

And from what I can see from this guy's posts is that the Grey Cup doesn't matter because Winnipeg's in the East, the two best teams don't play each other and there aren't enough games between rivals. Plus other trival "logic" to back up his points that must make sense in his head.

IEI5Tg1.png

I get it, I step on people's toes when talking about league structure, fairness, balance, and boring things like schedule format. It's like saying that the Middle Ages never happened.

Who denies the Middle Ages happened?

Yeah, so next you're going to tell me Game of Thrones isn't based on a true story!

IEI5Tg1.png

Yeah, so next you're going to tell me Game of Thrones isn't based on a true story!

fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-not-sure-if-sarcasm-or-serious-e14739.jpg

These people.

Archived