New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m now officially obsessed over this whole new uniform stuff. It’s pretty much déjà vu for me, as it was seven years ago right about now that I first joined the board. I had been a lurker for a few years, but when the rumors and leaks over the last Viking uniform change started up, I had to jump in to talk about it.

So I’m giving this a lot of thought (way too much thought, really… but, hey, who needs a life, anyway?), and playing detective with the tiny tidbits of info that are dribbling out. We’ve heard “retro, mixed with modern” (from some Dolphin insider months ago, I believe) and “kind of plain” (Chad Greenway) and “mix of old and new”, “tougher-looking” (Jared Allen). A lot of people are thinking the change will be comparable to the Bills… an update of a previous look. Maybe. My only doubt there is that the Bills’ change came pre-Nike, when teams seemed to be more on their own, or work thru NFL Properties. Since Nike came in, the few teams that have changed seem to be leaning more on Nike design… at least that’s the impression I get.

So… with that in mind… retro, on a modern template… kind of simple… an about face from the current uniform… a Nike design… this particular uniform comes to mind for me.

Michigan_Ohio_State_Football.sff_54172_game.jpg

Could be a Viking version of something along these lines?

Kinda funny story about the Vikings I remember reading once: while the nickname came from the noticeably abundant Scandinavian influence in the area, it is (was?) presumed that the fourth guy added to the original ownership group got the idea of the colors purple and yellow from his high school—in Wisconsin, coinidentally—the nickname and colors of which were also Vikings and purple and yellow, respectively.

One note about the logo's horns and whatever new horns might show up on the new helmet, for those saying the horns shouldn't change since the team just tweaked them up on the new logo: I direct you to the Seattle Seahawks. See their stand-alone logo, then take a real good look at the helmet logo. Just something to keep in mind.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm fully expecting a revert to the classic 90's look with the stripes on both home and away, with the updated viking on the sleeves, matte purple helmet, bigger horn, grey facemask...

Everything but the grey mask would work.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

I don't see a return to the UCLA stripes. The only way I could see that is if the team loved the idea and just pretty much went out on their own and demanded it, which doesn't seem to be the way these things are working anymore. If it's any sort of design collaboration between team, league, and Nike, those stripes do not seem likely.

And, on the current templates, I wouldn't want to see them. The Colts' partial stripes are pretty sad IMO.

I don't see a return to the UCLA stripes. The only way I could see that is if the team loved the idea and just pretty much went out on their own and demanded it, which doesn't seem to be the way these things are working anymore. If it's any sort of design collaboration between team, league, and Nike, those stripes do not seem likely.

And, on the current templates, I wouldn't want to see them. The Colts' partial stripes are pretty sad IMO.

Longer UCLA stripes can be done and have been done on a current template...

8332566048_c862dba475_z.jpg

Personally, I like the Northwestern-striped Vikings jerseys, but UCLA-striped jerseys would be solid. As long as they don't bring back the purple with the viking head on the shoulder, I'll be happy. I always hated those jerseys.

I'll admit it's strange that I didn't like the pre-2006 white jersey because of the UCLA stripes while at the same time think LSU's is one of the best looking white jerseys in sports.

Then I realized the difference, and came to a startling possibility.

What if the Vikings had alternate yellow pants?

I'm just glad a team who ruint their uniforms is changing them. Atlanta, Arizona, and Cincinnati need to follow suit.

... do they really?

Not EVERY teams' original or older looks were really that much better. If anything, those three just need to tweak their current uniforms.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

I don't think you'd get the same effect with the purple helmet.

IMO, you'd have to go purple helmet/purple pants or yellow helmet/yellow pants. It doesn't work the same inverted.

The helmet/pants matching dynamic definitely helps.

The University of Minnesota is similar in that they have solid maroon helmets/jerseys and wear "gold" pants.

Wouldn't like to see a purple helmet/white jersey/yellow pant combo ever though.

Damn I'm dying in the lead up to the draft, I hope we get a good leak or two before then.

I just meant the purple helmet/white jersey/yellow pants wouldn't look good. I think purple/purple/yellow would be fantastic though.

And with Minnesota, the yellow pants look good with the maroon jersey because the number is only yellow. Maroon pants look better with the away jersey than the yellow pants do.

What would you guys think if we got something like the early LSU Pro combat but the stripes would be over the shoulder/collar bone area instead of upper arm/sleeve.

Basically if you swapped where the ucla stripe/LSU stripe with the traditional viking sleeve stripe pattern.

nike-pro-combat-exclusive-auction-lsu-09-570x355.jpg?w=570 position 308w9lk.jpg

please excuse the quick crappy photoshop

Archived