New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

Feel like there are a ton of overreactions going on here because people got excitied for a perfectly executed new uniform set and it's starting to look like it's not going to be that. BUT, this set is guaranteed to be a huge improvement over the last. I mean c'mon the last uniforms were awful:

nfl_a_jared-allen_mb_576.jpg

- an awkward shoulder loop that had no consistency from jersey to jersey

- bulky side panels that gave the uniform no color consistency

- everything outlined in the gold, which means more piping

- rounded off numbers that were almost cartoonish

jared-allen_main.jpg

- the most ridiculous looking pants stripe with an awkward piping thing tailing off the bottom, again no shape consistency at all

- when the team goes white on white, the side panel on the jersey is purple and so is the pants stripe, but there's a random-ass white box in the middle of it

- a logo on the hip that is so small (too detailed a logo to start with) you can't really make anything of it

The next uniform is going to be better on almost every level of design. I am disappointed in a few details, but the last uniforms were atrocities.

I agree with you, fully. I am starting to like the new numbers also. Like I said we could have had an arena league uniform or lost the horns

6hrq0k.png

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on yesterday's leaks, I expect the uniform design to look similar to this (with the grey facemask being swapped out for black):

vikingsmock.jpg

I can already see the Nike description.

"These pants are made with our innovative double cross-four way-triple layered-multidmensional cross seam stitching, which features our patented enzyme technology that injects a player with the DNA of Leif Erikson, making him more at one with the Viking Spirit. The pant stripe replicates a ships oars, and when the player runs, he will be "paddling" himself forward, much like the boats of that vikings traveled in. Finally, the numbers are made to represent the sails on a Viking ship and are made with our innovative new quad-half iron stitch technology, which makes players .0000000001 micro-ounces lighter, and is in the specially mixed color Nike Pearlâ„¢. Now give us your money."

I'd love to see the Vikings try gold pants with the home jersey. Hey, it worked for the Skins.

Okay, I have a huge issue with the assumptions everyone seems to be making. I made that apparent through jokes earlier, but obviously that didn't change anything.

We DON'T know what the Vikings uniforms look like right now besides that there are two sleeve stripes on the home, the stylized pants stripe, and the number font. The evidence you guys have used to "definitively" determine that the new Vikings uniforms are modern Nike F--k ups is ridiculous. You guys were looking into a dark mirror in the back of a photo that is angled away from the viewer and instantly determined that this was fact. Zooming it in didn't help at all, it just looked like blobs (I personally see a gecko wearing cool sunglasses). I also saw numerous other possibilities that could easily be viable, such as 'we could be seeing the uniform partially behind a white uniform.'

You may be right that these are growing stripes towards the back, but you should really look at the "evidence" and question if it really is as foolproof as you guys think. I'm a criminology and pre-law major, in my (upcoming) field, this would never be considered viable evidence. Even in a normal conversation, I doubt I could show it to a normal person and have them come to a definite conclusion about their uniforms based on that reflection.

Quite frankly, it's foolish to make assumptions like that, which, as some of the guys who've been around for awhile have pointed out, seems to be occurring more often. This could be caused by a number of things, it could be our high speed, twitter fueled society making people impatient, or it could just be people not being patient enough to wait a few days before coming to a definitive conclusion about the uniforms that've partially seen in leaks. I mean, just look at the Jaguars... That was the single biggest clusterf--k I've ever seen. People had made all their assumptions based on text descriptions. Then they made assumptions based on leaks that didn't show much, and a ton of people claimed that they were the worst uniforms ever. Then what happened? Everyone seemed to be underwhelmed by the relative restraint of the uniforms (the helmets SUCKED though).

Also, by being all crazy about finding out what uniforms look like before anyone else does, the forum has opened itself up to having havoc wreaked upon it by trolls. People were willing to listen to ANYBODY who was willing to say anything about uniforms, and it made a lot of people feel pretty stupid for giving a completely unconfirmed source so much credence. Seriously, do we want to allow ourselves to be placed at the mercy of people like BradyIsMyHomeboy and the RedditGuy?

Sure, it is fun to look at the leaks and discuss what we hope the uniforms will look like, but it got pushed way too far this time around. These conversations were littered with concepts based on pretty much every single piece of information gained with people losing their marbles over them. We don't know what the uniforms will look like, we won't know officially until tomorrow, and all our conjecture isn't going to change that. Like I said, you all may be right, but there's still plenty of chance that you are wrong too (photographs can play tricks on the eyes).

Basically what I'm asking is... Can we all just calm down and wait until we seethe uniforms before we judge them? Otherwise tomorrow could turn into what is supposed to be a fun day for the forum and turn it into a load of bickering and insults, which I'm sure nobody wants (I kind of feel like it is already too late for that, as much of these threads have been just that).

Anyways, Happy Draft Day, let's celebrate it with patience and poise before ripping the uniforms a new one. Also, sorry this was so long.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Okay, I have a huge issue with the assumptions everyone seems to be making. I made that apparent through jokes earlier, but obviously that didn't change anything.

We DON'T know what the Vikings uniforms look like right now besides that there are two sleeve stripes on the home, the stylized pants stripe, and the number font. The evidence you guys have used to "definitively" determine that the new Vikings uniforms are modern Nike F--k ups is ridiculous. You guys were looking into a dark mirror in the back of a photo that is angled away from the viewer and instantly determined that this was fact. Zooming it in didn't help at all, it just looked like blobs (I personally see a gecko wearing cool sunglasses). I also saw numerous other possibilities that could easily be viable, such as 'we could be seeing the uniform partially behind a white uniform.'

You may be right that these are growing stripes towards the back, but you should really look at the "evidence" and question if it really is as foolproof as you guys think. I'm a criminology and pre-law major, in my (upcoming) field, this would never be considered viable evidence. Even in a normal conversation, I doubt I could show it to a normal person and have them come to a definite conclusion about their uniforms based on that reflection.

Quite frankly, it's foolish to make assumptions like that, which, as some of the guys who've been around for awhile have pointed out, seems to be occurring more often. This could be caused by a number of things, it could be our high speed, twitter fueled society making people impatient, or it could just be people not being patient enough to wait a few days before coming to a definitive conclusion about the uniforms that've partially seen in leaks. I mean, just look at the Jaguars... That was the single biggest clusterf--k I've ever seen. People had made all their assumptions based on text descriptions. Then they made assumptions based on leaks that didn't show much, and a ton of people claimed that they were the worst uniforms ever. Then what happened? Everyone seemed to be underwhelmed by the relative restraint of the uniforms (the helmets SUCKED though).

Also, by being all crazy about finding out what uniforms look like before anyone else does, the forum has opened itself up to having havoc wreaked upon it by trolls. People were willing to listen to ANYBODY who was willing to say anything about uniforms, and it made a lot of people feel pretty stupid for giving a completely unconfirmed source so much credence. Seriously, do we want to allow ourselves to be placed at the mercy of people like BradyIsMyHomeboy and the RedditGuy?

Sure, it is fun to look at the leaks and discuss what we hope the uniforms will look like, but it got pushed way too far this time around. These conversations were littered with concepts based on pretty much every single piece of information gained with people losing their marbles over them. We don't know what the uniforms will look like, we won't know officially until tomorrow, and all our conjecture isn't going to change that. Like I said, you all may be right, but there's still plenty of chance that you are wrong too (photographs can play tricks on the eyes).

Basically what I'm asking is... Can we all just calm down and wait until we seethe uniforms before we judge them? Otherwise tomorrow could turn into what is supposed to be a fun day for the forum and turn it into a load of bickering and insults, which I'm sure nobody wants (I kind of feel like it is already too late for that, as much of these threads have been just that).

Anyways, Happy Draft Day, let's celebrate it with patience and poise before ripping the uniforms a new one. Also, sorry this was so long.

Thank you. Someone posts a mock-up with predictions based off nothing (swooping stripes on the bottom of pants, purple sleeves on the away jerseys) and people are taking it as a fact and calling the uniforms terrible or whatever. It's ridiculous.

I'm not dissing your work by the way oldschoolvikings, but people are jumping to conclusions way too fast.

Lafarge, in lieu of quoting all that text, I will simply respond.

As to your evidentiary concerns, there is only one photo of the side/back of the uniform. This single photo shows what appears to the be Vikings shoulder stripe, although through the reflection off of a "dark mirror" with potential for distortion. From that single photo, it certainly appears as though the white stripe angles/flares upward as it approaches the back of the jersey. That same photo also shows a consistently thin yellow stripe and a minimally distorted Vikings helmet horn in close proximity to the aforementioned flared white stripe. It would certainly be odd if the white stripe was drastically distorted by the mirror whereas the yellow stripe, a mere inch below, was completely unaffected by the mirror. Plus the uniform teaser conclusively demonstrates that the white stripe is thicker than the yellow stripe - I am surprised none of us picked up on this when the teaser was released.

If you don't want to see speculation and occasional overreaction, you've likely come to the wrong place. "eing all crazy about finding out what uniforms look like before anyone else does" is part of what we do. Its why we have been discussing these uniform changes for that past few months. This is particularly true for the Vikings, who designed a month long campaign specifically to drum up interest and motivate the fan base to speculate on what the final product will look like.

And you have a problem with "concepts based on pretty much every single piece of information gained?" Weird, I thought that was the point. As a practicing attorney, I will advise you that basing assumptions/hypotheses/conclusions/etc. on the totality of the information gained is a very good thing. In fact, it is what we get paid (exorbitantly) for.

You sound frustrated. Maybe you like dual-font spikey-serif number font treatments, so the backlash is rubbing you the wrong way. But don’t worry, it’ll all be over soon. If I am to blame for your frustration, I apologize. I stated some of my opinions more strongly that I otherwise would have, because I wanted to elicit some reaction and hopefully motivate someone to prove me wrong - because I absolutely hate all of design choices that are suggested by yesterday’s leaks. Unfortunately that didn’t happen, and now my fears will likely be confirmed tomorrow.

P.S. xmichaelp - if we wanted to jump to conclusions, we had no choice but to do it fast. The leaks came out less than 72 hours before the unveiling. I don't think anyone is taking any of the mock ups as fact, most are actually discrediting them. But I stand by my opinion that the final design will fall somewhere between my MS Paint crap and oldschoolvikings design.

I dunno, I guess I'm just not in the camp that just because there is a subtle swoop on the sleeve there must to be swoops elsewhere and crazy sleeves on the away jerseys.

To me, this photo shows the pant stripe will be exactly like the teaser, thin purple, thin gold, thick purple. No thickening of stripes towards the bottom or swoops.

BIjot0xCIAAlbK1.jpg

I agree that photo suggests the pant stripe may be the same as the teaser (although the straight-on angle suggests a much wider yellow stripe). But that would make the flared shoulder stripe look all the more ridiculous. Why on earth would they try to incorporate/update an element of the '06-'12 design - universally loathed by sportslogos.com devotees and Vikings rubes alike - into the new Nike "traditional meets modern" design? It's almost as bad as the inexcusable dual-font spikey numbers.

I had such high hopes for these uniforms. Nike and/or the Vikings definitely dropped the ball. But, at the end of the day, we are the Minnesota Vikings. The world constantly :censored:s on us and we take it in stride. A healthy dose of Te'o and Robert Woods tomorrow night would go a long way to alleviating this uniform-induced pain. Skol.

The numbers will probably just look like standard block font on the field. Plus I see us dropping the spurs in a year or two if the fans don't like them, the Vikings said they're changing the uniforms because of fan feedback so maybe if we give them hell they'll listen again.

And I'm with you on that one, can't wait for the draft! I'm liking Te'o also.

Sorry, that's not how we roll...

Sure, it goes overboard here now and again and all the hand-wringing over what unis might look like (and especially the reflection thing) is pretty comical (and may become more so once we see the unis). But no lives are at stake. The regulars, for the most part anyway, know how to handle themselves. It's the web, we all have opinions, we're going to express them (even if the subject isn't public yet) . Nobody expects to convert anyone to their point of view.

What would really be fun is if we could all go to the unveilings in person as a group. That would be something to see. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Thank you. Someone posts a mock-up with predictions based off nothing (swooping stripes on the bottom of pants, purple sleeves on the away jerseys) and people are taking it as a fact and calling the uniforms terrible or whatever. It's ridiculous.

I'm not dissing your work by the way oldschoolvikings, but people are jumping to conclusions way too fast.

Oh, hey, no worries. I agree with pretty much everything you and Lafarge are saying. That's why I tried to make it clear that I was just posting a "prediction sure to go wrong". If that wasn't clear everyone else before, let me try again... I HAVE NO F'N IDEA WHAT THE DETAILS LOOK LIKE, I'M SURE I GOT THEM WRONG, AND I'M JUST HAVING A LTTLE FUN. But, there's no doubt my silly mock-ups added to the ridiculous over reaction going on here, and for that I do appologize. Calm down, people... less than 12 hours now, OK?

newtry_zps95f25b58.png

Now that, I like.

I know the time for speculation is almost over (thank god) and I know the above are just that, pure speculation from a blurry reflection, but with that said, I think they are pretty close. Even though it would be my first choice and given the fact I was expecting something totally tradition, these "modern twists" should not be a surprise to me, because in the end they said those words the whole time.

I could totally live with something like this. Light years better than the previous ones.

The numbers will probably just look like standard block font on the field. Plus I see us dropping the spurs in a year or two if the fans don't like them, the Vikings said they're changing the uniforms because of fan feedback so maybe if we give them hell they'll listen again.

And I'm with you on that one, can't wait for the draft! I'm liking Te'o also.

I was thinking the same thing. Numbers will probably not turn out to be a huge deal, if if there is grumbling from the fans, I am sure they would just drop the spurs off of them, no problem. Teams have done small tweaks like this in the past. In the end, these are here to stay for at least another 5 years per NFL rules.

Ironically, I was planning on purchasing a purple Greenway (Possibly sub a H. Smith) and a white Peterson, so at least I know what i'll be getting :winner:

Okay, I'll give one more, albiet shorter response.

Basically, I'm frustrated because I think the quality of these conversations dropped dramatically, which really could have been avoided. I love this site, andI love freaking out about uniforms as much as any of you. I'm guessing it just has boiled over with the ridiculous amounts of people who saw leaks or speculation, automatically taking it as the truth, then instantly decided how they liked the uniforms. I don't have a problem with speculation, but like all good things, I think it may have gone a little too far and just got ridiculous.

Also, I have zero problems with concepts. I loved Oldschoolvikings work. I just don't like it when they clutter up these threads. If I had seen all these in the concepts section, I wouldn't be complaining.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

duty_calls.png

:P In all seriousness though, I understand your frustrations. But at the same time...people all have different opinions and ways of enjoying the hype before a jersey reveal. I don't think anyone WHOLE-HEARTEDLY believes that these swoopy concepts are going to be 100% the real deal. All in all, it's good to know that by the day's end we'll know for sure.

Okay, I'll give one more, albiet shorter response.

Basically, I'm frustrated because I think the quality of these conversations dropped dramatically, which really could have been avoided. I love this site, andI love freaking out about uniforms as much as any of you. I'm guessing it just has boiled over with the ridiculous amounts of people who saw leaks or speculation, automatically taking it as the truth, then instantly decided how they liked the uniforms. I don't have a problem with speculation, but like all good things, I think it may have gone a little too far and just got ridiculous.

Also, I have zero problems with concepts. I loved Oldschoolvikings work. I just don't like it when they clutter up these threads. If I had seen all these in the concepts section, I wouldn't be complaining.

I hear ya, I get frustrated at times too. But at the end of the day, it is excited and passionate people...with opinions...on a message board...on the internet.

Just the nature of the beast. Try not to let it get you too badly.

Archived