New WNBA Brand Identity

Conrad.

New logo and identity for the WNBA:

wnba_logo_2013_200.jpgwnba_ball_2013_300.jpg

Along with the extended ESPN agreement, the WNBA is also introducing a new brand identity. The refreshed identity reflects how far the level of play has come in 16 years as stronger, more agile players have made the game more competitive. The cornerstone of the new WNBA visual identity is a more modern “Logowoman” -- the player silhouette within the logo -- that better embodies the athleticism and diversity of today’s WNBA players while leveraging the distinctive orange-and-oatmeal color scheme of the league’s iconic game ball.

Debuting on Monday, April 1 in support of the upcoming 2013 WNBA Draft presented by State Farm, the new identity will be seen across all WNBA assets, including team uniforms, broadcast, digital, signage and print materials. WNBA teams will adapt the new WNBA logo to their colors to communicate their affiliation with the league.

In addition, the league will launch a viral media effort under the “I Am Logowoman” theme. Powered by players, the campaign is designed to engage fans in celebrating WNBA athletes – past and present – who have propelled the game forward. Players and fans will be encouraged to post shots and photos of themselves going to the basket using the “#iamlogowoman” hashtag.

“As a WNBA player, the logowoman represents so many things to me,” said Chicago Sky forward Swin Cash. “It is a symbol of strength, growth and leadership. The new version not only celebrates the trailblazing work of the WNBA, but also past, present and future players. Like our players, she's sleek, smooth and ready to ball. The biggest question is who is logowoman? She does seem to have my physique."

Full story here: http://www.wnba.com/news/espn_new_branding_032813.html

Seems a good move forward, though I'm not sure it will help popularity of the league...good stuff from a design prospective nonetheless, imo.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like these a lot, but, as a woman, don't think they're gonna help at all. Not sure anything will, at this point. Except maybe more straight up athletic players.

(btw, Knoxville? same here - I guess I'm spoiled with the Lady Vols)

(btw, Knoxville? same here - I guess I'm spoiled with the Lady Vols)

I'm a proud alum myself. GBO! But, yes, we're exposed to women's bball much more than other markets here in Knoxville. I guess that's why we have the Women's BBall Hall of Fame here.

I actually didn't attend UT, but I've lived here my whole life. Suppose I probably should be more of a fan of the school besides the LVs...

Speaking of the HoF, do they have the old logo on that ball? Hah, can't imagine changing that thing.

i would like to see them own their own concept rather then borrowing the NBA idea, theres already so many pro sport logos that do that. MLB, IZOD Indy Car. . . . the colors are nice i really dig that. the biggest thing that brings it down for me though is the typography. the mix of uppercase and lowercase does not say "professional" to me at all. its quite cheap

The Icon and new colour choices are nice. Hate the type treatment. Is it the WnBa? Why mix cases on an acronym?

Simply because they are going for the rounded look and a capital N and a capital A have points....

not every font is like that.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The Icon and new colour choices are nice. Hate the type treatment. Is it the WnBa? Why mix cases on an acronym?

Yes. Never understood on it here either:

856eohuzlq2cguwltk80e2yx3.gifWhy not just use a capital N?

In both those cases, I really like the lower-case-style letter. It's a quirk that works well, like the Braves' Greek "E"s.

The new logo is doing layups. How appropriate.

<_<

This is the problem. Men make fun of the WNBA for the lack of dunking, but then question and mock Brittney Griner's gender based on the fact that she can and does dunk. This is the unfortunate paradoxical stereotype female athletes have. If they are too athletic they must be a man, if they are not athletic enough its boring, and if they are not sexy its not worth watching. Its a shame.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

This is just polishing a turd.

Thousands of people are not going to watch the WNBA because of a logo change.

It is also not going to stop it from being the most ridiculed sports league in America.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Archived