The Logocast presents NBA Uniform Power Rankings

mania

On April 15, the final Monday of the NBA regular season, we at the Logocast will be unveiling our NBA Uniform Power Rankings, much like we did for the NHL (thread, site).

The big difference is this time, we're soliciting lists from listeners and logo fans.

If you want to make your voice heard, there are several ways to make sure it is.

You can email a list to us at podcast@thelogocast.com if you want to keep your list incognito.

You can tweet a Google doc with the list to @thelogocast.

You can post it on Facebook.

Or, perhaps most easily for all of you, you can just reply to your list in this thread.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30. OKC

29. HOU

28. TOR

27. PHX

26. CHA

25. NO (hornets)

24. POR

23. MIN

22. DAL

21. DEN

20. MIL

19. ORL

18. WAS

17. UTA

16. MEM

15. ATL

14. BKLN

13. CLE

12. GSW

11. SAC

10. DET

9. PHI

8. IND

7. LAL

6. LAC

5. BOS

4. NYK

3. Spurs

2. MIA

1. CHI

have you guys set up any parameters or "rules" to make your list? think of what Bosack has done with his March Madness branding bracket.

No, and I think that's what's going to make it interesting. Everyone has their own parameters of taste.

One thing I definitely want to say, and thull got it right, we just want to make sure everything's numbered, and that the only New Orleans branding you judge are the Hornets. There's not enough of the Pelicans brand out there to rightfully place it.

I was actually just making this list the other day. Not thrown together at all.

30.Charlotte

29.Phoenix

28.OKC

27.Washington

26.Sacramento

25.Golden State

24.Minnesota

23.Orlando

22.Dallas

21.Milwaukee

20.New Orleans

19.LA Clippers

18.Memphis

17.Atlanta

16.LA Lakers

15.Utah

14.New York

13.Miami

12.Toronto

11.Denver

10.Indiana

9.Detroit

8.Brooklyn

7.Houston

6.Philadelphia

5.Cleveland

4.Portland

3.Chicago

2.San Antonio

1.Boston

1. Boston

2. Chicago

3. Golden State

4. Cleveland

5. LA Lakers

6. San Antonio

7. Houston

8. New York

9. Utah

10. Portland

11. Brooklyn

12. Miami

13. Denver

14. LA Clippers

15. Philadelphia

16. New Orleans (Hornets)

17. Milwaukee

18. Indiana

19. Orlando

20. Detroit

21. Washington

22. Phoenix

23. Atlanta

24. Minnesota

25. Toronto

26. Oklahoma City

27. Dallas

28. Charlotte

29. Memphis

30. Sacramento

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

1. San Antonio

2. Chicago

3. Miami

4. Boston

5. Milwaukee

6. Portland

7. Orlando

8. Houston

9. LA Lakers

10. LA Clippers

11. New Orleans

12. Indiana

13. Denver

14. Atlanta

15. Golden State

16. Philadelphia

17. New York

18. Detroit

19. Sacramento

20. Cleveland

21. Memphis

22. Brooklyn

23. Utah

24. Minnesota

25. Dallas

26. Washington

27. Phoenix

28. Toronto

29. Oklahoma City

30. Charlotte

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1. Heat
  2. Spurs
  3. Bulls
  4. Celtics
  5. Lakers
  6. Jazz
  7. Warriors
  8. Nuggets
  9. Hornets
  10. Timberwolves
  11. Cavaliers
  12. Wizards
  13. Knicks
  14. Nets
  15. Raptors
  16. Pacers
  17. Grizzlies
  18. Magic
  19. Pistons
  20. Trail Blazers
  21. Rockets
  22. 76ers
  23. Mavericks
  24. Suns
  25. Bucks
  26. Thunder
  27. Hawks
  28. Clippers
  29. Kings
  30. Bobcats

I already posted my list above, but I just wanted to share my thought process, as well as some general observations.

Does anybody else feel like a lot of the logos have unnecessary boxes and/or wordmarks that significantly detract from the quality of the logo? For example, logos such as the Suns and Blazers would be much much higher on my list if not for the superfluous boxes around the sun and pinwheel.

I'm not against wordmarks on logos like the Lakers, Spurs, or Celtics, because they are actually part of the logo, not just tacked on the top or bottom almost as an afterthought. The Sunball and Pinwheel should stand on their own without needing to tell us that they belong to the Suns and Blazers.

Anybody agree/disagree?

I already posted my list above, but I just wanted to share my thought process, as well as some general observations.

Does anybody else feel like a lot of the logos have unnecessary boxes and/or wordmarks that significantly detract from the quality of the logo? For example, logos such as the Suns and Blazers would be much much higher on my list if not for the superfluous boxes around the sun and pinwheel.

I'm not against wordmarks on logos like the Lakers, Spurs, or Celtics, because they are actually part of the logo, not just tacked on the top or bottom almost as an afterthought. The Sunball and Pinwheel should stand on their own without needing to tell us that they belong to the Suns and Blazers.

Anybody agree/disagree?

To be fair, the NBA requires teams to have the city name and team name wordmark on their primary logos. It's unfortunate that some logos just tack on the wordmarks such as the Brooklyn Nets. I Don't necessarily think it defects the look of the uniform though.

Anybody agree/disagree?

To be fair, the NBA requires teams to have the city name and team name wordmark on their primary logos. It's unfortunate that some logos just tack on the wordmarks such as the Brooklyn Nets. I Don't necessarily think it defects the look of the uniform though.

Ok, I didn't realize that it was mandated by the league. But still, if you know that going in, why not incorporate the name into the design (like Spurs and Kings)?

Anybody agree/disagree?

Isn't the rankings for uniforms, not logos?

Anybody agree/disagree?

Isn't the rankings for uniforms, not logos?

Wow. /slam my head on desk

Well, back to the drawing board....

1. Boston

2. Chicago

3. Golden State

4. Cleveland

5. LA Lakers

6. San Antonio

7. Houston

8. New York

9. Utah

10. Portland

11. Brooklyn

12. Miami

13. Denver

14. LA Clippers

15. Philadelphia

17. Milwaukee

18. Indiana

19. Orlando

20. Detroit

21. Washington

22 Phoenix

23. Atlanta

24. Minnesota

25. Toronto

26. Oklahoma City

27. Dallas

28. Charlotte

29. Memphis

30. Sacramento

1. Boston - The teams with the most championships should keep it classic

2. Atlanta – This is a design work of genius. I would like to see it in the classic Hawks color scheme

3. Orlando – Another design work of genius

4. Indiana – Hit an idea on the head and does not overdo it

5. Toronto – Stroke of genius

6. Dallas – The design just fits no matter how many ways you flip the colors as they have done

7. Miami – Bold and to the point, on the verge of becoming legendary

8. Sacramento – Others may dislike it but I love how unique these are

9. Los Angeles Clippers – It’s just right although I would like to see them abandon the red, white, and blue color scheme.

10. Denver – Beautiful way to take the Lakers MPLS throwbacks and repurpose them

11. Washington – Well thought out and executed

12. Minnesota – Nice revision to the cartoony looking ones with the green in them.

13. Los Angeles Lakers – It’s cool but I’m getting tired of it, they should do something like the Knicks did.

14. Houston – Creative at the time but they are marked by the failures of Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady. It’s time to upgrade.

15. Milwaukee – Very creative when they were released but could use some minor adjustments such as toning down the red to make room for a second green in a lighter shade similar to their throwback uniforms.

16. Charlotte – Yes, it is a rip-off, mash up of the Mavericks and the Thunder’s jerseys but it’s far better than their previous attempts. I can live with it.

17. Memphis – It worked when they were released but they are overdue for some adjustments.

18. Portland – Their uniforms have always been unique and they keep making minor adjustments to keep them up to date.

19. Chicago – Classics but Jordan is not coming back through that door, folks. Pippen and Rodman are not coming back through that door. It’s time for something newer.

20. Detroit – It makes sense in terms of their history but it’s starting to look bland. Something needs to change but I can’t put my finger on what.

21. New York – Better than the previous but something is still missing.

22. Utah – A step down in an attempt to try to reclaim the past. Going back to the old Jazz font was a mistake. The Jazz look boring now.

23. Phoenix – Innovative when they were released but now they are losing their luster. They are supposed to have new uniforms next year that will reincorporate black to the color scheme. I just hope they also do not attempt to make them look old school.

24. New Orleans – Creative but the pinstripes and the weak color scheme make it an eyesore. Next year as the Pelicans they will using the old Denver Nuggets color scheme.

25. Philadelphia – So basic it’s insulting.

26. Brooklyn – Clean and to the point.

27. San Antonio – No flavor, no life, they appear dead. Even the Raiders are more interesting and they share the same color scheme. And don’t get me started on their new alternate jerseys.

28. Cleveland – Also too basic. Making a jersey like Boston’s will not help you win like Boston. Lebron’s departure apparently hurt this organization so bad that they were like “Since we are going to suck now, let’s make sure we look like we suck too.” Mission Accomplished.

29. Oklahoma City – For a team with so much talent, it’s a shame they have to look like a D-League team. As an Oklahoma resident, I wanted to lead the charge on boycotting these catastrophes but found I would’ve been alone in my quest. The college football crazed people of Oklahoma are so happy to have any kind of team that wins that they just put up with it like a fat chick with jobless boyfriend.

30. Golden State – Are you serious? Are we playing basketball or re-enacting the Avengers? Having your logo stamped on your chest should be reserved for people who also wear tights and capes. And to make matters worse, their new alternate jerseys have sleeves!! I know they are moving to San Francisco in a few years but could you make them any more effeminate? Also, the short have pinstripes but the tops don’t. I’ll just wait for Jerry West to siphon Steph Curry out of there and hand deliver him to the Lakers as he did with Pau Gasol, and this team can remain a loser in their loser uniforms.

1. Boston

2. Chicago

3. Golden State

4. Cleveland

5. LA Lakers

6. San Antonio

7. Houston

8. New York

9. Utah

10. Portland

11. Brooklyn

12. Miami

13. Denver

14. LA Clippers

15. Philadelphia

17. Milwaukee

18. Indiana

19. Orlando

20. Detroit

21. Washington

22. Phoenix

23. Atlanta

24. Minnesota

25. Toronto

26. Oklahoma City

27. Dallas

28. Charlotte

29. Memphis

30. Sacramento

I am glad to see OKC at the bottom or near the bottom in most of you guys' lists. They are far and away the most uninspired NBA jerseys. I particulstly hate their road jerseys with the stacked words. I would love to see them make an alternate jersey with just OKC across the top.

I was looking at Paul Lukas' power rankings of the NBA uniforms as a reference and was shocked at how high he placed the Thunders' home jersey. Everyone is entitled to their opinions though.

Archived