Pittsburgh Penguins concept - a new third that later gets promoted

hockey week

After seeing all the talk about the Penguins dropping their blue thirds and where they should go from their current edge jerseys led me down some new paths. I learned some things:

The 90s Cup-era jerseys, which are what I'd like to see back, are not as popular as I thought.

The mid-90s robo-Penguin is surprisingly popular. Mario hates it though.

The 80s gold is popular, but nowhere near unanimously loved. Which is good, because Mario HATES it.

The pre-edge jerseys were beloved, and so was the metallic vegas gold.

So, I looked back over the Pens' history and got some inspiration. I didn't want to ignore the current jerseys, which have had their own era, and I didn't want to adopt an older jersey. I liked the triangles of the pre-edge jerseys, I wanted to bring them back.

Penguins30.png

I also looked way back to the 70s and the jerseys not yet brought back, particularly those 1974 jerseys where they had an unexpected cup run.

Penguins06.png

There have been triangle sleeves angled in all directions,

Penguins12.pngPenguins04.pngPenguins24.png

but the pre-edge era make more sense in the age of sleeve numbers and patches all over. But I didn't want to simply bring back those jerseys in total.

In time, I realized something: Those socks haven't changed since the initial return of the skating penguin. the Flyers based a jersey on their socks, and that was far, FAR more random. Why not the Pens? Plus, that made the jerseys far more versatile. You could use that template for anything, black with athletic gold, athletic gold with black, or any combination of blues. This is what I went with.

The Pens have a habit of implementing jerseys as a third and then promoting it. That's my plan here.

The new Pens' third jersey:

penguinsamalgamationthirdcopy_zps67fc3be8.png

With a new shoulder patch, made from a few key pieces:

penguinsamalgamation67-90slogocopy_zpsa2dfb5b9.png

Who doesn't love the scarf? Put an 80s angry eye on it, close the beak because it looked too nice with it open, and eliminate the lines that were allegedly the result of a sponsorship deal from Mellon Bank.

Then, that third can be promoted, and this can be introduced with it:

penguinsamalgamationthirdwhitecopy_zps45cd8e6d.png

and eventually, because Mario loves the blue, a third jersey. I thought of normal white shoulders, but these seemed so much more appropriate. The vegas gold did not look good with it, so I went old school. The clashing logo just looks so old timey. The only question was to use the secondary or the primary. This is the secondary version, I can post the other if asked.

penguinsamalgamationthirdbluecopy_zps52f6171b.png

Thoughts?

C&C?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Not a fan as a Pens fan. I don't like the blue jerseys and the old style before the edge ones. The edge ones need to be modified just a little bit. Not a whole lot. Not to hurt your feelings but I don't like the set at all, it doesn't improve what the Pens have now and that's the goal.

If they are going to make another 3rd, it's likely going to be to honor Mario's 30th anniversary of being drafted by the team. I can't believe I started watching Mario in '87, I is old.

The robopigeon logo is still around but it doesn't show up as much and I hope they keep it that way. A lot of bad memories tied to that logo for me and I am sure, the franchise. I would go with the yellow rookie jerseys Mario wore, in an RBK Edge jersey (with the old style of course, nothing changed but not being overly baggy like old jerseys used to be).

Current Home & Away is fine, I don't mind it at all.

This should be the 3rd though, after next season.

bEAfnDr.jpg

I have this jersey, so maybe I am biased, that and I am older Pens fan...but these are sharp and definitely would be one of the better 3rds if they went this route.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

As an old saying goes, if there's :cursing: you gotta get around, do it any which way you can. I'll be upfront: I love the alt logo here, basically a great remake of the robopenguin (or its lesser known derisive nickname, the hummingbird)...without the robo-ey parts . As long as we're mentioning seemingly random jersey elements based off of socks, across the pond Arsenal's home shirts have navy-white-red cuffs on their sleeves, based on a set of 30s or 40s-era socks, something that's been criticized by some, but I feel it looks sharp. Granted, the Arse's white sleeves had an even more random inspiration, but I'm getting off topic here. Some would say the black and white would both look like "every other hockey jersey ever." Yes, even the guy who's usually a bit too out there can get hit with one of those. However, "every other hockey jersey ever" tends to make for a good home/away set. The alt...early 70s sky blues + mid/late 90s whites' yoke...not sure what it equals, but I find the result growing on me.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Now THAT is exactly what the Pens should look like. Those home and road uniforms are fantastic, and they'd easily be among the best in the NHL if they adopted something like this. Although you'll need to tidy up the name font on the back as right now it's difficult to read on the white jersey.

The shoulder patch is a neat idea, but you haven't executed it too well. You've got an illustrated, cartoony penguin and scarf mashed together with flat, abstract shapes, and it just looks awkward.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Love it. This looks fantastic, but I'm not a fan of the alternate logo. It looks like someone took all 3 primary/secondary logos and mixed them together using genetics to see how'd it look. It looks like :puke:.

HIgh quality post right there...

I really like the idea as a whole, and would love to see the Pens go back to that look. I love the idea of the alt, but I agree with Wildwing that the execution could be slightly better. The only things I notice in particular are the patch of white on the chest and the beak. The white patch just doesn't work as well with the scarf and face... I'd try for a different shape. The only thing that could be changed on the beak is that the black line separating the top and bottom beak could be thinner.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Archived