Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides the wordmark and color scheme everything about their new unis look very amateurish. The number font and lack of outlines look a high school team, the generic one sided stripes are a joke, the collar looks odd (though at least it's not a wishbone one...), even the shorts logo feels kinda amateurishly rendered. Not a fan.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

Great colors, crappy unis and logos. Oh, well. In four years they'll get new unis to either coincide with them becoming a contender or to "liven up" the fanbase after watching more crappy basketball. And by then the league will probably have sponsor patches on the jerseys, anyway, so I probably would stop even caring.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

So how long will it be before someone on here laments the loss of the Bobcats?

Never.

Yeah, I don't see it happening. The Bobcats identity was pretty un-inspired. I personally had no issue with the name; it's better than "Heat", "Wild", "Magic", etc. However people took issue with it because 1) using the original owner's name (Robert Johnson) was cheesy and 2) "Bobcats" is used at high schools across the country. Again, I had no issue with that.

The color scheme had potential but the uniforms were just blah. The primary logo (workmark over cat head) was minor league looking and the wordmark used on the jerseys made me want to cry. Throw in the poor on-court performance and the continued lament of the loss of the Hornets and they were just not destined to be embraced.

All else equal (i.e., the confusion created by the New Orleans / Charlotte franchises), "Charlotte Hornets" (and their distinctive colors) and "New Orleans Pelicans" (a name I love, though their uniforms leave much to be desired) is better than "Charlotte Bobcats" and "New Orleans Hornets". The NO Hornets did not do it for most of us...they drifted some from the loud color scheme.

By the way, I have never seen discussion on this, but is there any way on earth that New Orleans franchise decided totally on its own to rebrand? I'd have to think the Charlotte franchise wanted this badly and they and the NBA approached New Orleans. The moment I heard the NO Hornets were doing this, I thought "so Charlotte can be the Hornets" but I have never really seen (or looked for) anything that backs that up.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Nah, even before buying the team Tom Benson made no secret of the fact that he'd totally rebrand the team (I believe that he started working with the NBA on new branding before the actual purchase was complete, but I can't find the article that backs that up right now). It was also no secret that the colour scheme had been chosen long before any name was chosen - Benson's wife wanted the new team to use red, navy & gold.

As soon as the sale was complete, the rebranding was fast-tracked and the wheels were put in motion for the Hornets name to return to Charlotte.

I'm not really impressed. I don't like the lettering (it looks like the sort of pseudo-block I've seen on half this board's concepts), the Hornets have always looked better in teal than purple, "Charlotte" should always be worn on the road, and the teal numbers on purple (also in an ugly font) don't have quite enough contrast to pull off single-layer on dark; I'm not sure any colors other than athletic gold, silver, or white ever do.

I will lament the loss of the Bobcats. I liked the name for a hilly region like the Carolinas, not caring one bit that the old owner's first name was Robert. I also dislike the principle of changing a team's nickname without relocation, even with the grassroots demand for the return of the Hornets, which overall, I admit I am happy with in this case.

More than anything, I just dislike the way the whole Charlotte-Seattle-Oklahoma City-New Orleans rhombus of screwups has worked out. From a strictly branding standpoint, I don't like the Thunder, I don't like the Pelicans, and I don't like that there are no more Supersonics. It's hardly an ideal outcome at all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm not really impressed. I don't like the lettering (it looks like the sort of pseudo-block I've seen on half this board's concepts), the Hornets have always looked better in teal than purple, "Charlotte" should always be worn on the road, and the teal numbers on purple (also in an ugly font) don't have quite enough contrast to pull off single-layer on dark; I'm not sure any colors other than athletic gold, silver, or white ever do.

I will lament the loss of the Bobcats. I liked the name for a hilly region like the Carolinas, not caring one bit that the old owner's first name was Robert. I also dislike the principle of changing a team's nickname without relocation, even with the grassroots demand for the return of the Hornets, which overall, I admit I am happy with in this case.

More than anything, I just dislike the way the whole Charlotte-Seattle-Oklahoma City-New Orleans rhombus of screwups has worked out. From a strictly branding standpoint, I don't like the Thunder, I don't like the Pelicans, and I don't like that there are no more Supersonics. It's hardly an ideal outcome at all.

The NBA struck out on this one. Seattle should've never moved. The Hornets/Pelicans should've moved to OKC (shouldn't have moved from Charlotte in the first place) and well...the Bobcats got it right. Bobcats everything was horrible from the get-go. it's infuriating that the NBA (more or less David Stern) let the Supersonics just leave but did whatever he could to keep the Kings in Sacramento (which isn't a bad thing) and keep a franchise in New Orleans plus isn't Clay Bennett in charge of the relocation committee??? Oh well...what can you do.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

But I hate the Nickname Nonsense. I've always maintained that I wished the Hornets never went back to New Orleans at all. That would have made everything okay (except for the smattering of people in New Orleans who really liked the Hornets).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've been thinking about the uniforms. I like the modern look, but I don't like it for the Hornets. The biggest reasons Charlotte's no longer the Bobcats is because one, Pelicans abandoned the name and the most important reason IMO, nostalgia for the 90's and the Charlotte Hornets. I think the team should've embraced the nostalgia and gone with more of a 90's style, like pinstripes or some sort of use of honeycomb on the jerseys. Maybe even giving Hugo a bigger role in the identity. It's like driving all the way to Bojangles' and ordering just biscuits. I dunno, maybe the look's perfect for the Hornets of Al Jefferson and Lance Stephenson while I'm thinking of Larry Johnson and Glen Rice's Hornets.

• 2 months later...

tomtucker is a poster to watch in 2014. You heard it here first.

Who is the "poster to watch" in 2015?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived