New Jaguars Uniforms

PaleVermilion81

True, but part of that is the visual tradition of the teams.

Bears/Packers is rarely a rivalry between good teams - remember, they've only had one playoff matchup in the last sixty years - but there's a great legacy there. And part of that legacy is a visual one.

I don't buy that. The legacy is there because of age.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't buy that. The legacy is there because of age.

The Jaguars are twenty years old. Plenty of age, plenty of time to have built some of that legacy.

We should be taking less about our fellow posters and more about their (and our) opinions.

Personal attacks, even very mild ones, don't have a place here.

Original.jpg

I held off clicking on this thread as I knew the average poster on here would bash these uniforms just like they bashed my Seahawks uniforms last year. People bashed the Broncos when they switched uniforms in the 90's and now people love them. Most hated the Hawks new uniforms (some still hate them to this day on here) but they have started to grow on people because they look better on the field on Sundays versus photoshoots.

I applaud the innovation that Nike and Jaguars took with these uniforms. I do disagree with Nike's idea of having all 3 (Jags, Phins, Vikes) uniforms displayed together as all three are completely different styles (Vikings = traditional, Dolphins = simple, Jaguars = cutting edge). This makes the Jaguars uniforms look somewhat ackward. I'm not saying the new Jaguars uniforms are great by any means, but I think the MOD EDIT should withhold judgement until we see these uniforms as a whole on the field on Sundays. I think these cutting edge uniforms for the Seahawks and Jaguars are still light years better than what we've seen with the Falcons, Cardinals, and previous Vikings.

The bolded is a big part of why the design (IMO) sucks - and this holds true for Seattle's most recent set. While each uniform is representative of the team's brand, it also fits under a larger brand that is the NFL.

When there are designs which grossly change the look of the NFL, there are going to be matchups that just don't look very good. That's part of why people say Bears v. Packers/Cowboys v. Redskins/Steelers v. Ravens are (generally) visually appealing - they represent the individual brands and the NFL.

Or it's just because they are rivals and tend to have great match ups year in and year out.

True, but part of that is the visual tradition of the teams.

Bears/Packers is rarely a rivalry between good teams - remember, they've only had one playoff matchup in the last sixty years - but there's a great legacy there. And part of that legacy is a visual one.

Uniform changes sever a measure of connection to the team's past. It's even worse when those teams make a series of changes as soon as the rules let them. Once teams stop building that visual legacy, something gets lost. I don't think Redskins/Cowboys would have been nearly as interesting to the vast majority of the country if those two teams didn't have such solid identities.

To some it may be a visual legacy, but to most they could care less if they came out and played in a damn tutu. Listen I am no designer, I am interested in sports and I love to read and look into logo and uniform designs. I consider myself for the most part a normal sports fan and when it comes to sunday I really don't care what the teams are wearing and how they contrast and look together, all I care about is the game. If you ask any person outside of these boards the reason that those match ups that you stated are so closely watched every year (regardless of how good both teams are) is the fact that they are long standing rivals and usually have great match ups year in and year out.

atlanta_braves_sig2.png

sport-scarf_cuse_zpsabc0a909.png

To some it may be a visual legacy, but to most they could care less if they came out and played in a damn tutu. Listen I am no designer, I am interested in sports and I love to read and look into logo and uniform designs. I consider myself for the most part a normal sports fan and when it comes to sunday I really don't care what the teams are wearing and how they contrast and look together, all I care about is the game. If you ask any person outside of these boards the reason that those match ups that you stated are so closely watched every year (regardless of how good both teams are) is the fact that they are long standing rivals and usually have great match ups year in and year out.

I honestly don't think you're right about that. And although this is straying afield from the Jags specifically, I hope you'll allow me this digression.

We've seen the powerful allure that old identities can have in sports. Look at baseball, with the Orioles, Blue Jays and Astros in the last couple years (the Brewers are halfway there as well). The Giants and 49ers have done it in football.

What made those rebrandings a success? Is it only because they're heartening back to a more successful period? Can't be, because the Giants did exactly the opposite. There's a connection between a team and a community that can be strengthened by a strong visual identity. I know casual Brewer fans who don't think the current team is really "their team" because they don't look anything like the team they used to follow. Right now, I know casual Mets fans who are more interested in the team since they stopped wearing black. I think it's a fallacy to say that we're the only ones who really care about the uniforms; we just have a different vocabulary about the uniforms than other fans do.

The Jags have been around long enough that kids who grew up watching them are having kids of their own. They've been around long enough to establish a strong legacy, even if they haven't always been competitive.

Sure, a winning history is part of it. But that's not all of it. And I wonder about some of the bad teams that keep changing their identities; are they making the situation even worse by giving their fans one less thing to hold on to?

^ True, but doesn't a team have to be around for more than a generation to truly have a sense of history and legacy? I would imagine that 30-40 years would do the trick. I offer up the Marlins as a perfect example of this. Despite winning TWO World Series titles and having a history that spans two decades they still don't have any semblance of a true legacy in my book.

I'd say 20 years is more than a generation for the purposes of this conversation. A kid who was ten when the Jags came to town could now easily have a five- or eight-year-old kid of his own. One person's childhood team is being passed on to the next generation.

The Marlins are another good example of a team that started chipping away at their visual legacy, even though they had success. Now they've tossed it completely overboard, and have no success, and are just a mess overall. Had they kept a stronger link to their first set, and worn it through two championships, they might have more residual good will left for Loria to squander. ;)

The Jaguars uniform looks like a case of the designer being unable to tell the client "NO". One look at his ridiculous mustache, and you can tell that Khan is a man with incredibly tacky tastes. Those sensibilities have seeped into every aspect of this design.

On the contrary. His mustache radiates style and class. The Jaguar uniforms are leisure suits. If his mustache had design input, they would be wearing tuxedos.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Jerseys: They are much better than the previous set because they aren't bland and they kept the teal jersey.

Helmet: I feel conflicted. On one hand, it looks very nice but I rather see them use the previous helmet technology.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

I'd say 20 years is more than a generation for the purposes of this conversation. A kid who was ten when the Jags came to town could now easily have a five- or eight-year-old kid of his own. One person's childhood team is being passed on to the next generation.

The Marlins are another good example of a team that started chipping away at their visual legacy, even though they had success. Now they've tossed it completely overboard, and have no success, and are just a mess overall. Had they kept a stronger link to their first set, and worn it through two championships, they might have more residual good will left for Loria to squander. ;)

That poor kid has seen more than his share of ineptitude thats for sure!

the Jaguars are so innovative!!!

Arizona%252520Rattler%252520Football%25252006192010-0003.JPG

Looks nothing like the new Jaguars uniforms. Possibly a hybrid of the Titans and Falcons, but not the Jaguars. Nice try though.

I think the point was that the gold/black/teal combo used in the way JAX did is similar to the Rattlers.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Looks nothing like the new Jaguars uniforms. Possibly a hybrid of the Titans and Falcons, but not the Jaguars. Nice try though.

I think the point was that the gold/black/teal combo used in the way JAX did is similar to the Rattlers.

But the Jaguars have always had these colors. That point would be even worse.

Really? Because if you read this thread, that particular comparison has been made by maybe half a dozen posters. Guess they all could be seeing things, but seems unlikely.

I don't get what the deal is with the helmets they had at the event. Were they last minute paint jobs? If you look at any of the other photos of the helmet from before the event the color fade is much better and isn't just a straight line;

jaghelmet.0_standard_709.0.png

I don't get what the deal is with the helmets they had at the event. Were they last minute paint jobs? If you look at any of the other photos of the helmet from before the event the color fade is much better and isn't just a straight line;

jaghelmet.0_standard_709.0.png

I noticed that too. In some pictures, the gold portion of the helmet includes the first air vent on the top, but in other pictures - like the ones from the presser - the air vent is completely within the black portion.

I think that's one of the reasons I dislike it so much. Uniforms should be...uniform. If they can't even make the helmets look the same on the first day they are introduced, they're never going to get it right.

How is that going to translate to other applications where the helmet is used as a logo, like on apparel, signs, banners, beer cans, field paint, etc.?

I guess we'll see what it looks like on the field, but after the ball snaps and players are moving in every direction, I think it's going to look like a jumbled mess.

I still think Goodell might veto this helmet once they see it in on the field. I could see it posing all sorts of unwanted problems for players on the field. In direct sunlight, these things might cause seizures.

I really hope Goodell puts down the banhammer on two-tone helmets going forward, especially those with a GRADIENT.

Archived