New Jaguars Uniforms

PaleVermilion81

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is, in my opinion, the worst helmet design in the history of football.

I actually wholeheartedly agree with this statement. It is what I said after about 37 minutes of digesting the helmet on uniform release day. I have very few issues with the uniform outside of the helmet. It could be better in places, sure. But it could have been a lot worse when you sit and think about it ... especially after taking the helmet into consideration.

fP8H4Wf.jpg

Yet approval wins in every poll.

Unless PPP or Gallup has gotten in on the action, that's pretty meaningless.

Online polls are notoriously fallible. You might as well limit the poll to my children; would be about as accurate.

Says the guy who called the whole city racist because of a couple of posts on a website. I'm on to you.

Yet approval wins in every poll.

Unless PPP or Gallup has gotten in on the action, that's pretty meaningless.

Online polls are notoriously fallible. You might as well limit the poll to my children; would be about as accurate.

Says the guy who called the whole city racist because of a couple of posts on a website. I'm on to you.

Schizophrenia_zpse3e4d8e3.jpg

credit to rams80, of course.

Train wreck, as predicted before this will have such a negative backlash they will change it quickly, with the under the table support of the NFL waiving all their time requirements.

Most casual fans love it. Its not going anywhere.

Most "casual" fans also probably think that Tom Brady broke Marsha's nose with a football and a touchback is worth 6 points. What's your point? lol

Train wreck, as predicted before this will have such a negative backlash they will change it quickly, with the under the table support of the NFL waiving all their time requirements.

Most "casual" fans also probably think that Tom Brady broke Marsha's nose with a football and a touchback is worth 6 points. What's your point? lol

Whats my point? There are plenty of fans that like the uniforms that arent uniform freaks like most of us on here are. There are not enough people that will complain about the helmet for it to matter enough to get it changed. For every "That helmet is terrible it looks like an unfinished paint job" comment I see about any picture the team post to Twitter or Instagram, I see 3 or 4 "Sickest helmet in the league!" or something close to that. This isnt the 1990s anymore the best and quickest way for a team to get a feel for how the fans feel is through social media.

Whats my point? There are plenty of fans that like the uniforms that arent uniform freaks like most of us on here are. There are not enough people that will complain about the helmet for it to matter enough to get it changed. For every "That helmet is terrible it looks like an unfinished paint job" comment I see about any picture the team post to Twitter or Instagram, I see 3 or 4 "Sickest helmet in the league!" or something close to that. This isnt the 1990s anymore the best and quickest way for a team to get a feel for how the fans feel is through social media.

I think in your haste to further validate your point you might have missed the tongue in cheek nature of my post. I don't doubt that we here are part of the minority when it comes to uniform fandom. As Goth appropriately mentioned above, using social media as the lone barometer for gauging the impact of a franchise's identity change is as misleading as going on here and listening to all of us idiots. If a franchise is catering to the 'casual fan' then they will undoubtedly fail because casual fans don't usually attend too many games, buy a ton of merchandise, and spend too much time following the team...because in the end they are merely casual fans. A team needs to build a dedicated and passionate fan base. The best way to do that is to win. period. I'm sure if the Yankees wore pink uniforms with purple butterflies on the sleeves they would still sell a ton of merchandise. Maybe you need to use another description of the type of fans you are referring to because I don't think casual fans loving the identity will keep it around a long time.

I think in your haste to further validate your point you might have missed the tongue in cheek nature of my post. I don't doubt that we here are part of the minority when it comes to uniform fandom. As Goth appropriately mentioned above, using social media as the lone barometer for gauging the impact of a franchise's identity change is as misleading as going on here and listening to all of us idiots. If a franchise is catering to the 'casual fan' then they will undoubtedly fail because casual fans don't usually attend too many games, buy a ton of merchandise, and spend too much time following the team...because in the end they are merely casual fans. A team needs to build a dedicated and passionate fan base. The best way to do that is to win. period. I'm sure if the Yankees wore pink uniforms with purple butterflies on the sleeves they would still sell a ton of merchandise. Maybe you need to use another description of the type of fans you are referring to because I don't think casual fans loving the identity will keep it around a long time.

Yea in further review I should have used a different word to describe the type of fan I was referring to. I should have said the type of fan that doesnt really worry about uniform design to the level as we do on these forums. As far as how the uniforms have been recieved with the type of fan that I am talking about, they are very well liked by almost all of them. I would not be surprised at all if the uniforms change after 5 years. If they do change it won't be because they weren't well received by the Jaguars fans. I believe Shad Khan wants to be the Oregon Ducks of the NFL and however many different uniforms they are allowed to wear he will use. I would be shocked if they switch just the helmets anytime before the 5 years are up because of overwelming negative feedback. We have to remember that this site represents a very small fraction of the fans out there. The helmets are the type of design that is either loved or hated the majority of people that comment on the helmets through social media is positive. I really don't see a better way to judge the popularity then that way.

Yea in further review I should have used a different word to describe the type of fan I was referring to. I should have said the type of fan that doesnt really worry about uniform design to the level as we do on these forums. As far as how the uniforms have been recieved with the type of fan that I am talking about, they are very well liked by almost all of them.

Again, we don't know that. Social media is not in any way a scientific poll.

We'll see how the jersey sales are. Short of employing a polling firm, that's the only way to judge fan reaction in any meaningful sense (and even that isn't great).

Yea in further review I should have used a different word to describe the type of fan I was referring to. I should have said the type of fan that doesnt really worry about uniform design to the level as we do on these forums. As far as how the uniforms have been recieved with the type of fan that I am talking about, they are very well liked by almost all of them.

We'll see how the jersey sales are. Short of employing a polling firm, that's the only way to judge fan reaction in any meaningful sense (and even that isn't great).

The local Jacksonville news did a story on how the new logo gear and jerseys were being sold out everywhere around town. They did an interview with one of the store owners of a sports merchandise buisness that said they can't keep the new logo and jerseys on the shelves. I would like to know why you do not think social media is the best way to gauge fan apporval for this topic? I joined Twitter and Instagram to follow Jaguars new more closely and easily, Im sure there are plenty of other fans just like me. I have seen plenty of comments on each uniform post that is made by the team and more often then not it is positive. I personally love the new logo. I also think the jerseys and pants are just fine, they could use a few tweaks but overall I like them. I would have made the helmet all black. I totally understand the reasons some people dislike the uniforms/helmets but from what I have seen I don't think there will be so much hate against these that they will be changed any sooner then the owner himself wants to change them.

I would like to know why you do not think social media is the best way to gauge fan apporval for this topic? I joined Twitter and Instagram to follow Jaguars new more closely and easily, Im sure there are plenty of other fans just like me.

There may well be. But that doesn't mean that group is representative of a larger group.

Social media groups (and web page comment sections) are by their nature self-selecting. They only reflect the views of the people who take the time to sign up and then contribute.

Just like these boards are a self-selecting sample, not in any way reflective of a larger group.

It's good that merchandise is selling well now. But as Ice Cap noted, a lot of bad designs sell well in the glow of newness. Let's see how well they do in a year, or two or five. Designs which are really well-received continue to sell.

Also, when you're talking about sales, its almost exclusively jerseys and wearable merchandise that carries the new logo. What everyone on this board seems to be going on about is the unmitigated disaster of a helmet. If I was a Jags fan, I'd be into the new jersey, too... the old jersey was as dull a look as we've seen in the NFL. And the logo is a pretty nice update, too. Hats, shirts, anything with that logo should sell. But none of that tells you all that much about how the helmet itself is really being received.

The local Jacksonville news did a story on how the new logo gear and jerseys were being sold out everywhere around town. They did an interview with one of the store owners of a sports merchandise buisness that said they can't keep the new logo and jerseys on the shelves. I would like to know why you do not think social media is the best way to gauge fan apporval for this topic? I joined Twitter and Instagram to follow Jaguars new more closely and easily, Im sure there are plenty of other fans just like me. I have seen plenty of comments on each uniform post that is made by the team and more often then not it is positive. I personally love the new logo. I also think the jerseys and pants are just fine, they could use a few tweaks but overall I like them. I would have made the helmet all black. I totally understand the reasons some people dislike the uniforms/helmets but from what I have seen I don't think there will be so much hate against these that they will be changed any sooner then the owner himself wants to change them.

I guess in the end the sales figures are what truly matter. Just like in sports its wins that matter. I personally love the new logo and think its a huge upgrade. I've always loved their color scheme and quite frankly I don't mind the whole helmet thing. I've grown more tolerable of pushing the envelope in uniform design (thanks Oregon!) If I'm that Khan guy all I would care about are the sales figures and the wins too. He's a business man first and a fan second; at least thats how it should be.

What is sad is that it is not even the worst Nike helmet.

1. Maryland "state flag" 2 sided helmet.

2. Oregon white on white with flames. Flames?

3. Eastern Michigan carbon fiber

Let's just all recognize that Nike, for all they do in design to make unifoms work better, they just have some dumbarse ideas about branding. I say that fully aware that they make a ton of money, but that doesn't make it good.

There are a lot of horrible movies that make a ton of money, but that doesn't make them art.

Nike is the Fast & Furious of uniform design. (Insert any mindless and flashy movie here. It ain't Citizen Kane is the point.)

What is sad is that it is not even the worst Nike helmet.

1. Maryland "state flag" 2 sided helmet.

2. Oregon white on white with flames. Flames?

3. Eastern Michigan carbon fiber

Let's just all recognize that Nike, for all they do in design to make unifoms work better, they just have some dumbarse ideas about branding. I say that fully aware that they make a ton of money, but that doesn't make it good.

There are a lot of horrible movies that make a ton of money, but that doesn't make them art.

Nike is the Fast & Furious of uniform design. (Insert any mindless and flashy movie here. It ain't Citizen Kane is the point.)

The Maryland design is not Nike.

And I disagree that those examples are worse than this Jags helmet. I don't like examples 2 and 3 (I actually appreciate the Maryland helmet as a stand alone piece of design) but at least they all seem to look as they were intended to look. This new Jacksonville helmet seems like a true disconnect between design intention, and created reality, which is the biggest blunder of all IMO.

Archived