New Dolphins Uniforms

Jt0323

It would be hilarious if they'd brought back Seahawks Blue for this.

You know...it's very close in color.

Is it REALLY??? I would never had guessed because the Seahawk blue seems so much darker and "Navier" (if thats a word) and the Dolphin blue seems so much more lighter and "Royal Bluier" (probably not a word either)

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a comparison of the old Seahawks Blue vs. the new Dolphins Blue:

SeattleSeahawksBlue_2011_SCC_SRGB.pngMiamiDolphinsBlue_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

A couple of disclaimers: Seahawks Blue was a custom color that originally matched to a TOYO Ink color. It also matched (in CMYK) to an old (now discontinued) Pantone Process color. Reebok came up with their own fabric dye to represent the color, and provided RGB values for it:

SeattleSeahawksBlue_2011_TXC_SRGB.png

IMO - this color was a bit dark vs. what was worn on the field. In 2002, the Seahawks used this Pantone Textile color, which seemed closer to me:

SeattleSeahawksBlue_2002_TXC_SRGB.png

This new Dolphins Blue did not exist in the Pantone library until 2010; it may have been a better color for the Seahawks' usage.

I think why most residents of Seattle and other Seahawks fans disliked that custom blue was that we already had another shade of blue and it just muddled up the whole thing. This color however works well with the Dolphins because it's soft enough yet dark enough to work well with their new orange. They compliment each other.

And will you contrarian doofuses stop. There is orange in the helmet stripe, just like the pant stripe, and the dark color is NAVY NOT BLACK.

Well, it's not Navy exactly either. Somewhere between a Royal and Navy.

I'll just keep posting these kinds of things until it sinks in:

Old colors:

MiamiDolphins_FRC_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

New colors:

MiamiDolphins_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Am I the only one who is already missing the old aqua?

Very possibly.

I love the new color scheme; the previous colors were bad. How do you make aqua so drab?

Still don't like the new logo, but the rest of this set looks like an upgrade so far.

A couple of disclaimers: Seahawks Blue was a custom color that originally matched to a TOYO Ink color. It also matched (in CMYK) to an old (now discontinued) Pantone Process color. Reebok came up with their own fabric dye to represent the color, and provided RGB values for it:

SeattleSeahawksBlue_2011_TXC_SRGB.png

IMO - this color was a bit dark vs. what was worn on the field. In 2002, the Seahawks used this Pantone Textile color, which seemed closer to me:

SeattleSeahawksBlue_2002_TXC_SRGB.png

This new Dolphins Blue did not exist in the Pantone library until 2010; it may have been a better color for the Seahawks' usage.

Thank you for the comparison. WOW...did not expect them to be so similar though I still think the Seahawk blue seems so much darker for some reason. I guess we shall see when they take the field.

Here's one more comparison - the original Seahawks Pantone Textile color vs. the new Dolphins Pantone Textile color:

SeattleSeahawksBlue_2002_TXC_SRGB.pngMiamiDolphinsBlue_9999_TXC_SRGB.png

Personally, I think the original "Ensign Blue" was the closest match to what was actually worn on the field.

I was bitching out loud how I wanted the Phins to have two pairs of pants, white and teal, and my roommate who used to live in Miami and her boyfriend is a Dolphins fan, said "Well, considering what they draw at games maybe they're trying to save money."

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I can understand wanting to streamline the set that was created in 1999 as design seems to cycle between retro, ornate, minimal, and streamlined but these seem to lack any character.

Reasons:

• New logo is more abstract (ie. airline logo) and lacks character and the dolphin shows less movement.
  • Orange is reduced to a pinline.
  • Sleeve logos are so small they may as well not be on there.
  • Striping is dominated aqua.
  • White mask makes the helmet less distinct.

While not terrible the new uniforms just lack character. I would prefer a design that settled in between the old/new design.

Agree with everything in this post. Something just seems kinda bland about this set. And like you said...they're not terrible, they're just not really great, either.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I like the overall simplicity of it, but I really am sad that they relegated orange to tertiary status. I think this set would look excellent if the orange stripes were a bit more prominent. I was also really hoping they would get some old school stripes on the sleeves ala the Vikings.

It is a bit too plain, but I guess I would rather have them too plain than have a uniform that looks like jaguar vomit like another team in Florida.

The Dolphins new threads aren't terrible in a vacuum but what element of this uniform looks better than the previous design? Numbers? Helmet? Jersey layout? Color blocking? Nothing here is an upgrade in any way. They aren't terrible in and of themselves, but they're a downgrade in every area.

Agree 100%. The downgrade started with the new logo, which looks more like something you'd see at Sea World or used by a beachhotel than an NFL logo. What's the purpose of a shoulder logo that is so small it strains the eyes to see it....all for the sake of the self-serving Nike logo placement. What a downgrade! this is about as boring as the unis the Jags just ditched.

Sea World got an NFL team? Cool.

Funny thing is...

IMO if the tail were pointing down (like the old logo) it wouldn't have that Sea World vibe to it.

...but you're right, it's either Sea World or Dolphin Cruise Lines. :P

On another note, I personally would have rathered the numbers be white with a bold orange outline and aqua with the bold orange outline. They really don't need the navy? in the numbers.

...again, just my opinion.

Archived