"Hate the font"

CitizenTino

It's a very unpopular opinion and I'm probably being a super homer, but I love the copperplate font the Blue Jackets use on their regular home and roads

jackets-3-11-art0-g99m188m-1blue-jackets-red-wings-hockey-jpeg-04b4f.jpg

I don't really care for the font they use on the 3rds though.

I'm a fan of the Jackets home and road fonts as well. It's one of the few cases where copperplate looks good.

It almost always looks good in the hands of a professional. Its just so overused that most people now think it looks bad.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the Reds current font, but it would be so much nicer and cleaner without the drop shadow.

MLB-Reds-2007a.png

63-11456-Y.jpg

Wow I thought I was the only one! I love this one too.

Also, I absolutely love Marquette's number font.

35_gold.jpg

Ditto, on the Reds font. Vintage look, yet consistent, well-balanced and not overly ornate.

I really like the Phillies number font, I know alot don't like it, but its unique!

ChaseUtley.jpg

I've always liked the Phillies font set. I also think they have the best uni's in the game. I'm not a fan, but know a clean look when I see one.

Their vintage logo has stood the test of time. Much better than the 70's "P", with the baseball inside.

KG T'Wolves font

ZYXCgq8.jpg

Now here is a jersey that would look much better by simply removing the outermost outline from it. The blue outline, contrasted slightly with the jersey color, would give it a soft edge.

My rule of thumb: If the jersey is dark, the inside of the number should be brighter than the outline. If the jersey is light, then the inside of the number should be darker than the outline. Being a sign designer, I see this design flaw all of the time. Truck lettering, mostly. Dark truck, bright outline, dark letters. All you really notice is the outline.

KG T'Wolves font

ZYXCgq8.jpg

Now here is a jersey that would look much better by simply removing the outermost outline from it. The blue outline, contrasted slightly with the jersey color, would give it a soft edge.

My rule of thumb: If the jersey is dark, the inside of the number should be brighter than the outline. If the jersey is light, then the inside of the number should be darker than the outline. Being a sign designer, I see this design flaw all of the time. Truck lettering, mostly. Dark truck, bright outline, dark letters. All you really notice is the outline.

I wanted to test your theory..

ZYXCgq82.pngyou are correct

For the most part, I consider myself a "traditionalist" in hockey. Even though I didn't really care for this jersey (I liked the blue eagle one better), I kinda dug this font, specifically the lettering. I can imagine it was a nightmare for equipment managers, though.

479.jpg

The style of lettering, radially arched on the bottom, but not on the top, comes off as very Microsoft Wordish. It was only like this for one season.

And the outlines on the number font look too thick. When the black alternate became the regular road the following season, dod they tweak the outline on the numbers?

KG T'Wolves font

ZYXCgq8.jpg

Of course, that rule is just my own personal taste in color arrangement. I guess you could say that I have a thing for the "soft edge".

I'm sure some would disagree with that, but outlines shouldn't stand out more than the graphic. Not to mention that it makes the design harder to read.

For the most part, I consider myself a "traditionalist" in hockey. Even though I didn't really care for this jersey (I liked the blue eagle one better), I kinda dug this font, specifically the lettering. I can imagine it was a nightmare for equipment managers, though.

479.jpg

The style of lettering, radially arched on the bottom, but not on the top, comes off as very Microsoft Wordish. It was only like this for one season.

And the outlines on the number font look too thick. When the black alternate became the regular road the following season, dod they tweak the outline on the numbers?

Yeah, I remember. I just liked the fact that they tried something different. If that font was going to work anywhere, it would work in Washington. As someone said earlier, it has a 'money' look to it. I still prefer the blue eagle jersey that predated that, but I still like that font.

KG T'Wolves font

ZYXCgq8.jpg

Of course, that rule is just my own personal taste in color arrangement. I guess you could say that I have a thing for the "soft edge".

I'm sure some would disagree with that, but outlines shouldn't stand out more than the graphic. Not to mention that it makes the design harder to read.

Sometimes, that's what you want, though. It's just a different look. Takes a little more care to execute it properly.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

A lot of care, maybe.

I'm hard-pressed to think of a single light number/dark outline/light outline combo that I like. In every case I that comes to mind, the team would be better off with a single outline.

Even helps, though it cannot redeem, those silly Minnesota Chocula numbers.

KG T'Wolves font

ZYXCgq8.jpg

Sometimes, that's what you want, though. It's just a different look. Takes a little more care to execute it properly.

KG T'Wolves font

ZYXCgq8.jpg

That is all too true. My formula isn't perfect. There all always infinite possibilities. What looks good to one, will look silly to another. Like I said, that's how I approach it.

I have to disagree with you guys about the T'Wolves font.

I think the extra outline makes the logo pop, especially on the black background. It gives the logo a forest feel.

Stand back 15 feet and tell me which one's easier to read.

A lot of care, maybe.

I'm hard-pressed to think of a single light number/dark outline/light outline combo that I like. In every case I that comes to mind, the team would be better off with a single outline.

Even helps, though it cannot redeem, those silly Minnesota Chocula numbers.

I strongly dislike three color numerals, and I agree that they need the utmost attention to detail to pull off. I guess I should clarify that. I don't think the pattern that you described above works, ever (as demonstrated by the Timberwolves photo). I was responding to the other poster's preference for dark numbers/light outlines on white (picture the Saints' current whites), and light numbers/dark outline on colors (like the Redskins' burgundies). I think you can reverse that and still look good. Tennessee and Oklahoma State, for example, have done an orange numeral with a black outline on white, which works quite well. I loved the Saints' old gold numerals with black outlines on white, as well as their old gold numerals with white outlines on black that they currently wear.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

We'll see later today (after the Creamatrix is restored from cataclysmic system crash, that is), but from the leaked images seen thus far it appears the Jaguars' new road jerseys will have three-colored numbers—but arranged in a much more visually appealing and might I add legible manner—teal base, black inner, gold outer stroke. From a distance the gold might not even register to some people's eyes—but at the same time I believe it'll add much more visual interest. I kinda wished they had done that arrangement with the '98-08 set (of course, I also wish they still had that set, but that ship long since been done sailed away).

Oh and...can we put a moratorium on the use of this word "pop" for, like, the next several weeks or something?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I have to disagree with you guys about the T'Wolves font.

I think the extra outline makes the logo pop, especially on the black background. It gives the logo a forest feel.

Stand back 15 feet and tell me which one's easier to read.

The one without the extra outline is a bit easier to read, but I'll expand onto why I still like the original more.

1. The numbers are easily readable, so I doubt the refs or announcers care about the extra bit of clarity.

2. Like I said, the outline makes the font "resonate". It's like a sharper (literally) appearance. I think that's cool.

3. To Explain what I mean by forest feel - The extra outline gives the font an extra layer, a layer which is triangular. It's like you're looking out at an expansion of trees (as much as it can look that way).

Archived