Chivas USA Rebrands VOTING NOW

raysox

To vote, scroll to the kit concepts at the bottom of this page

So a friend linked me to a little competition going on Design Football. Someone wanted to rebrand Chivas USA, the MLS club that is the sister club of Chivas Guadalajara, and making the team more american friendly. You can read through the rules here

http://www.designfoo...nd-competition/

I was immediately intrigued, worked on a logo for an hour and a half, and submitted my concept. I messaged mcrosby on here to see if he saw it, knowing he is top class at crest making. We decided it would be fun to have a little collaboration competition between us. Both will create a logo, then kits in the next few days.

Here is mine

I wanted to use the great untapped California state flag as the basis for the logo. I knew if I could do the bear right, I would have a solid symbol, like the Union snake. So made the flag artistic, and toyed around with a crest shape. The diamond looked the best, and would be unique to the league. I ran banners across and behind with the team name on it.

CAFC_zps6f60a5fd.png

I'm going with Mcrosby on this one. The subtle California imagery is GENIUS.

Raysox: The diamond isn't completely unique in the MLS. Vancouver uses the general shape.

Overall, fantastic work from both of you. Can't wait for the kits.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I'm not a huge fan of using state/province/country shapes in sports in general, as the amount of detail tends to be lost at smaller sizes. With mcrosby's, I find the detail on the left clashes with the simplicity everywhere else. I also prefer raysox's bear, adding in a few lines really makes it less blobby.

That being said though, they are both really nice, and I look forward to the kits.

While I do think the use of the state in the crest is ingenious, I prefer the symetry of raysox's crest. Also, I like the inclusion of green to give a little more variation in the color palette. Both are top-notch. I'm definitely looking forward to what's next.

gYH2mW9.png

We've both agreed to save posting kits until the 30th but that posting crest updates on C&C was great. So here's my first update:

I've updated the lines around the bear, the brown outline, and added a ball. I also took out some of the shading, which I'm not 100% on but it helped simplify things. Let's hear that C&C.

Picture16_zpsf264748b.png

Not sure that the ball was necessary. It looks kind of forced actually. The change in shading is for the better. One minor thing that's bothering me is that tiny sliver of California peeking out above the upper banner on the left. I would move the banner up to hide that.

gYH2mW9.png

Pretty awesome, both of them. I put out my own idea a few days ago for a Chivas rebrand. I basically resurrected the old LA Aztecs brand. Not so much original, but I thought it was a logical path. This way, the club could keep their Mexican theme, and not look like jerks about it.

Not sure if this is an open thread or not, so I won't show it just yet.

Both of these are fantastic, just YES

Raysox, diggin' the red line to form the lower half, that works really well and the hint of green above it just pops. It just works.

for me, i notice the banner around the logo pretty strong and i can't unsee a giant Z that wraps around it; embrace it or maybe touch it? And the bear stylized is really nice, and the only thing I notice would be that the 3 points on his chin feels a bit too much for me. It feels too regular like an inverted crown.

Mcrosby, my jaw dropped when I saw the California. Most creative use and just eye-catching. Really sharp looking.

I like the addition of the soccer ball, I'd like to imagine the bear just rolling it around ahahah

I don't quite understand the gap between the ground where the bear is on and the banner. I can see it registers with the width of the brown outer border, but the bear and his land feels like it's floating. And I'm eagerly waiting to see what color scheme will show up; I'm not sure if you're going with brown, red, white? and gray?

As an avid MLS viewer, anything along the lines of this will be picked up. Also, California Athletic sounds great.

Pretty awesome, both of them. I put out my own idea a few days ago for a Chivas rebrand. I basically resurrected the old LA Aztecs brand. Not so much original, but I thought it was a logical path. This way, the club could keep their Mexican theme, and not look like jerks about it.

Not sure if this is an open thread or not, so I won't show it just yet.

Then start another thread! I've been advocating for Chivas USA to revive the LA Aztecs brand for years.

Well here are my kits. I ran out of time today (who needs to work anyways?) so I didn't have time to add the MLS logo and a flag.

I intentionally left off the Adidas shoulder stripes, because, quite frankly, they suck. The sponsor is Petco, as the team would be San Diego based.

My primary kit is a California strong one, with the vertical sash becoming the state. The socks mimic the sash on this kit.

Picture17_zps468d00de.png

The change kit is tan, I preferred that to white because it was different from the norm. The logo is just the bear/ball. I really liked this logo, as it felt a bit like the Tottenham Hotspur logo, and those are my boys. The hoops on the change are reminiscent of those in the crest.

Picture21_zpsccee1130.png

Overall my kits are quite simple, but I prefer that in soccer kits.

Here is my California Athletic rebrand.

The only thing I changed to the crest was fix some stuff along the bear, but I felt like the shape I had was the best and most unique I could do. The kits are different than what Chivas currently wears. They have vertical red and white stripes, so I wanted to separate this team from them, but still keep them in mind. Corona as a sponsor, and vertical pinstripes. The home is all red/brown because those two colors worked so well together. The clash is new. I went with brown to set the team apart, and did a 50/50 split. I wanted to try to keep it toned down, and incorporate green in a way, so I ran some piping along the cut.

tumblr_mm3hhvB8gA1qe2dhgo2_500.png

so there it is! If you like my concept better, like this post. If you like mcrosby's better, like his. Starting now!

Archived