Another PDW collegiate logo...same as the rest

leggman01

http://www.bridgewater.edu/news-and-media/releases/1238-bridgewater-college-adopts-new-athletic-logo

let's see...

overly complex shading - check

paws/claws/wings over wordmark - check

generic block font - check

lots of drop shadow/bevel effects - check

while this is an improvement over their previous logo, it's nothing special and i knew within 2 seconds of seeing it, it was a PDW design

bridgewater-logo.jpg

jldesigns404eo.png

PDW's computers only have access to a few fonts... the Athletic Block one above (Princetown or some derivative), Impact, City, Machine, Serpentine, or a half rounded-half block hybrid.

Everything must be beveled.

Everything needs an outline. Even those outlines.

No amount of detail is discarded.

Did I forget anything?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

PDW's computers only have access to a few fonts... the Athletic Block one above (Princetown or some derivative), Impact, City, Machine, Serpentine, or a half rounded-half block hybrid.

Did I forget anything?

- compressed fonts

- dozens of colours

- awkward negative spaces between letters

- inexplicable poses. If you can see the feet and head, imagine how the rest of the bird must be hanging off the back... Like when you put your hands and feet on the edge of the swimming pool as a kid.

I just noticed that the W looks much bigger than the rest of the letters . . . presumably because it's so wide. Now I can't unsee it.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Did I forget anything?

- compressed fonts

- dozens of colours

- awkward negative spaces between letters

- inexplicable poses. If you can see the feet and head, imagine how the rest of the bird must be hanging off the back... Like when you put your hands and feet on the edge of the swimming pool as a kid.

I think we're looking at the lost Bald Eagle Raptor.

The shading and detail on the eagle head makes it look like clipart.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Phoenix, in the past, has churned out some fantastic work. It's just their collegiate branding that seems to be so niche.

I completely disagree. I haven't seen any Phoenix work that I'd consider to be 'fantastic' at any point in time. If you have some examples, please share.

In regards to logo above, why not just use a photograph of an eagle for your logo? Phoenix is garbage. Can't believe they are still in business.

Phoenix, in the past, has churned out some fantastic work. It's just their collegiate branding that seems to be so niche.

I completely disagree. I haven't seen any Phoenix work that I'd consider to be 'fantastic' at any point in time. If you have some examples, please share.

In regards to logo above, why not just use a photograph of an eagle for your logo? Phoenix is garbage. Can't believe they are still in business.

Phoenix, in the past has had high points to design:

-Colorado Rockies Identity

-Florida Marlins Identity

-Supersonics Identity from 1996-2001

- Devil Rays Inaugural Season Patch

- Blue Jays identity from 2004-2011

- Vancouver Grizzlies Identity

Not to mention these solid Collegiate identities:

- James Madison

- LSU

- Troy

- Western Carolina

So to say they've never done anything fantastic is far to reach. The highest point for me, IMO, is the Marlins. Are they on a high horse now? Many would argue against that, but they have a solid clientele, with most of the peak of thier work being recognizable from the late 90's to early 2000's.

I guess we're all entitled to our opinion. Beside the Rockies, and Marlins, I personally don't think anything else you mentioned is anything to write home about.

Blue Jays identity PDW did is probably the worst they've ever had, IMO. I think Troy is terrible and JMU is so so. LSU primary typeface is good but the tiger and the rest of the identity looks goofy.

To me their awful work far outweighs the good work. Also seems like most of the stuff they did that was decent was done 10-15 years ago. There had to be someone else there that was doing a lot of that work, because they haven't done anything remotely close to that caliber of work in quite a number of years. I think there's a reason the only schools they are doing work for now is for schools nobody has ever heard of.

Just my two cents.

- Western Carolina

you mean this?

1.png

'cause that monstrocity has already given way to this

ROVRKPTNNDINSMM.20080814131611.jpg

I will say that PDW has someone doing some serious husslin', because they get a lot of work...

jldesigns404eo.png

Holy detail! Phoenix design is usually recognizable with its generic fonts and excessive detail, but this is even a lot of unnecissary detail by even their standards.

What is that bird looking at?

Also, if their is so much shading on the head, shouldnt the claws and talons have the same? The talons seem like a lazy addition that don't match the head.

This would be a mediocre logo by 1992 standards. This poor school is already in need of another logo update.

Phoenix, in the past has had high points to design:

-Colorado Rockies Identity

-Florida Marlins Identity

-Supersonics Identity from 1996-2001

- Devil Rays Inaugural Season Patch

- Blue Jays identity from 2004-2011

- Vancouver Grizzlies Identity

- James Madison

- LSU

- Troy

- Western Carolina

So to say they've never done anything fantastic is far to reach. The highest point for me, IMO, is the Marlins. Are they on a high horse now? Many would argue against that, but they have a solid clientele, with most of the peak of thier work being recognizable from the late 90's to early 2000's.

Evidently, we have very differing ideas of what constitutes a "high point." Those examples you gave are the absolute worst those franchises have ever looked.

I'm not a designer, nor am I as well-versed on a lot of the finer points as a lot of the members here on the boards. Not saying that I'd rush out and buy anything with this logo on it, but I don't think it looks that bad.

tumblr_lxcmmc0d0l1qfmeof.gif

I'm not a designer, nor am I as well-versed on a lot of the finer points as a lot of the members here on the boards. Not saying that I'd rush out and buy anything with this logo on it, but I don't think it looks that bad.

tumblr_lxcmmc0d0l1qfmeof.gif

I wouldn't buy it because I don't know anything about the school, but if I was a fan or alum, I would probably like it. That's all I meant. :upside:

Archived