Rite of Spring 2013 (NHL Playoffs): "You have no fear of the underdog, that's why you will not survive."

CS85

So I did one of these for the NBA playoffs and got ripped for picking so many upsets in a league that hardly sees upsets. Now I present my NHL version and guess what in a league in which an eight seed won it all last year I opt to go with more favorites. Chicago Blackhawks over Washington Capitals. nhlplayoff13_zps6feb0934.png

7fe6a713-a81f-4ac9-b995-837498cd0466_zps

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Speed The Collapse" is the official playoff motto in Vancouver this year.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Penguins in 5 (Sorry Isles :( )

Canadiens in 7

Capitals in 6

Bruins in 6

Blackhawks in 5

Canucks in 5

Kings in 5

I'll refrain from picking Ducks/Wings just because it'll be so close, IMO. The Wings and the Kings are the only two teams I'm truly afraid of playing for the Ducks. And even Chicago because of how well the Ducks played and how well the games overall were played, I'm not afraid of that matchup and more excited (especially because it'd be the West Final and I'd be stoked to be there and have such a a great series play out.) I think if the Ducks can get by Detroit and avoid the Kings, they have a damn good shot at getting to the Final.

Is it Tuesday yet?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

This could be a could week for me. May 1 is by birthday, and Bruins start the playoffs then, and then Game 2 will be during my party, which should cap an awesome day. May 12 could shape up to be interesting, because the Blue Jays are playing in Boston for a 1:35 game and then the Bruins play Toronto at home for Game 6.

And I just realized how screwed the Bruins got by the schedule. They have games 1,2,4, and 6 at home, so if it goes 7 games, they don't get home ice advantage even though they are the better seed. #OITGDNHL

Pens beat the Islanders in 5 games.

Habs beat the Sens in 6 games.

NYR beats the Caps in 7 games.

Bruins beat the Leafs in 7 games.

Blackhawks beat the Wild in 4 games.

Ducks beat the Wings in 6 games.

Nucks beat the Sharks in 6 games.

Blues beat the Kings in 6 games.

8) NY Islanders vs. 1) Pittsburgh in 5

7) Ottawa vs. 2) Montreal 4

6) NY Rangers vs. 3) Washington in 7

5) Toronto vs. 4) Boston in 6

West:

8) Minnesota vs. 1) Chicago in 5

7) Detroitvs. 2) Anaheim in 7

6) San Jose vs. 3) Vancouver in 6

5) Los Angeles vs. 4) St. Louis in 6

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

I actually did math last night because I wanted to see how the 6 seed faired vs a 3 seed since the Conference 1-8 playoffs started in 1994. Of course this was done because Sharks are the #6 seed. But in doing the calculations I decided to do the Eastern Conference as well. Here's the results.

Western Conference:

#6 seed has a record of 5-13 vs the #3 seed. The five #6 seed wins, with the most recent #6 seed winning in 2008 when the Colorado Avalanche defeated the #3 Minnesota Wild in six. The Avalanche would fall in the next round to the Red Wings 4-0.

Note: Vancouver as a 3 seed is 3-1 with their most recent series win as a 3 seed against the #6 LA Kings. San Jose has never been a #6 seed. After this season the Sharks have been every possible seed except the #4 seed.

Eastern Conference:

the #6 seed has a record of 8-10 vs the #3 seed, with the most recent #6 seed winning last season in the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs as the #6 New Jersey Devils knocked off the #3 Florida Panthers in seven games. Since 2006, the #6 seed is 5-2 with the #3 seed in the Eastern Conference has won only two series. (2006 and 2011). In 2011, the #3 Bruins ousted the #6 Canadiens and in 2006 the #3 Devils eliminated the #6 Rangers.

So based on the results:

Thanks for playing San Jose and Washington. Ugh, I hope the Sharks can navigate the waters these playoffs, but losing 3 of 4 down the stretch doesn't look good. Capitals and Rangers battling again, they always seem to meet somewhere down the line in the playoffs.

Anyway there's the data, but as they say "that's why you play the games"

East:

8) NY Islanders vs. 1) Pittsburgh

7) Ottawa vs. 2) Montreal

6) NY Rangers vs. 3) Washington

5) Toronto vs. 4) Boston

West:

8) Minnesota vs. 1) Chicago

7) Detroit vs. 2) Anaheim (not touching this one)

6) San Jose vs. 3) Vancouver

5) Los Angeles vs. 4) St. Louis

Archived