Rite of Spring 2013 (NHL Playoffs): "You have no fear of the underdog, that's why you will not survive."

CS85

I know this has been posted before, but I wanted to share a story involving this video

My roommate is not a hockey fan. When I watch Blue Jackets games he's either watching TV in his own room, or out of our apartment, or he surfs the web without paying much attention. Hard as I tried, I just couldn't get him to care. He could probably name 2 Blue Jackets players if I spotted him Bobrovsky. He's more of a college basketball guy, which is just fine because I don't really care about that either. So the other night I played this HNIC video for him (because I've watched it 30 times and it's honestly one of the best sports montages I've ever seen). Then game 4 of the Islanders-Penguins series came on and a funny thing happened - he watched it with me. He watched the entire game with me. It ended up being the perfect game to start someone on the NHL playoffs. Major underdog, high scoring, high energy in an old barn, lots of visible talent on both teams, it was a good game, and the right team won. Last night he comes in and suddenly has knowledge of every series. He's asking questions about the teams and we watched parts of Pittsburgh-NYI and Ottawa-Montreal. And now he's asking me when they release the Blue Jackets schedule for next season because he wants to buy a 6 game pack.

One montage made him more of a hockey than I could in a year and a half of living with him.

POTD. That made me cry.

Seconded.

Thirded. That should be enough for a ribbon.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know who's holding the belt these days, but give it to McCarthy, post-haste. Hockey hugs all around, you guys. This game is fun and great and so are its fans unless you like a team I don't then you suck.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Tyler Kennedy played his best game of hockey i've seen from him all season tonight. And how bout Voky? I expect he'll be playing Saturday. Sid. Beauty (nuff said)

As much bad as I've said about TK this year, I wanted him in tonight. He's a playoff performer, and he always gives his all and then some. I also love putting in Vitale. Those guys had so much hustle and worked so hard tonight. And the Sid-Iggy-Duper line looked real good. And about that Sid goal...

tumblr_mmk7nkakgc1r559eho1_400.gif

tumblr_mmk7nkakgc1r559eho2_400.gif

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

I know this has been posted before, but I wanted to share a story involving this video

My roommate is not a hockey fan. When I watch Blue Jackets games he's either watching TV in his own room, or out of our apartment, or he surfs the web without paying much attention. Hard as I tried, I just couldn't get him to care. He could probably name 2 Blue Jackets players if I spotted him Bobrovsky. He's more of a college basketball guy, which is just fine because I don't really care about that either. So the other night I played this HNIC video for him (because I've watched it 30 times and it's honestly one of the best sports montages I've ever seen). Then game 4 of the Islanders-Penguins series came on and a funny thing happened - he watched it with me. He watched the entire game with me. It ended up being the perfect game to start someone on the NHL playoffs. Major underdog, high scoring, high energy in an old barn, lots of visible talent on both teams, it was a good game, and the right team won. Last night he comes in and suddenly has knowledge of every series. He's asking questions about the teams and we watched parts of Pittsburgh-NYI and Ottawa-Montreal. And now he's asking me when they release the Blue Jackets schedule for next season because he wants to buy a 6 game pack.

One montage made him more of a hockey fan than I could in a year and a half of living with him.

As a duly-appointed enforcer of the Majestic 12....

RnLmp_zps5bc9beff.png

One montage made him more of a hockey fan than I could in a year and a half of living with him.

You should be thankful I am not your roommate.

I would have told you to :censored: off and actively rooted for the Jackets to lose every game just to piss you off if you continued. You sound worse than a couple of religious guys that tried to convert me for 4 years.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I would have told you to :censored: off and actively rooted for the Jackets to lose every game just to piss you off if you continued. You sound worse than a couple of religious guys that tried to convert me for 4 years.

I am thankful you're not my roommate.

We both have our own rooms with our own TV's, but we have a shared living space with a bigger HD TV that we use for sporting events and such. I have never once forced him to watch hockey.

PvO6ZWJ.png

We both have our own rooms with our own TV's, but we have a shared living space with a bigger HD TV that we use for sporting events and such. I have never once forced him to watch hockey.

But you still seem pushy in your attempt to make him like hockey which would turn me off immediately.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

But you still seem pushy in your attempt to make him like hockey which would turn me off immediately.

Knowing far more about the situation than you do, I can assure you that you're wrong. Good night.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm rooting for the B's tonight for the sole reason that if they win, it'll be the only series so far in the HJC playoff pool that I got right. Pieces of me would die whilst watching this series if it wasn't for that.

Although if the SoCal teams win tonight, I'll finish with a pretty good night.

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

Damn, Reimer is just standing on his head here. At least the B's now know what it's like for [the sens] to play against top notch goaltenders like Steve Mason, Dan Ellis, Al Montoya...

And Damnit, Leafs leading now with a shortie.

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

One montage made him more of a hockey than I could in a year and a half of living with him.

POTD. That made me cry.

Seconded.

Toucher and Rich led me to that montage yesterday. Just absolutely fantastic montage. You have to nearly hate the game of hockey not to get chills.

Beautiful post McCarthy. I remember in high school where I was part of a relative few who knew the sport of hockey, with none of them being my friends. I'd always have members of the "Hockey Club" coming up to me in front of my friends and ask me related questions and such. My friends would give me a blank stare and joke about me following hockey, with all their related stereotypes (sport played by rich, White, suburban kids in Santa Monica or Pacific Palisades) mixed in.

It wasn't until our school's leadership department coordinated a hockey night out for the school's seniors. This was during the Kings' sucky 2007-2008 season, so tickets were relatively easy to come by ($15 per tix in the 200 level at Staples Center). So me and two of my friends went to the game (they went since there wasn't anything better to do on that Friday), and they became enamored in love with the sport. I had to explain the rules of the game to them, what a Zamboni is, and the fan experience, but they were indifferent. They loved the game, and they even apologized to me for not loving it sooner. They now have respect for hockey, and after the 6-3 win over the Flames that night, we all went to Jack-in-the-Box for some combos to cap the night.

That's my hockey-sharing story.

Archived