BlazerBlaze

Prelim designs for the new Atlanta Stadium just got released. Two options, one called The Pantheon which is pretty ground breaking and looks to be more of the enclosed multi-use stadium with the wow factor that the city wants and the other is The Solarium which looks like a greenhouse. Very Lucas Oil like with great open views of the city which I know the owner said he wanted.

The Pantheon1367346943-screen_shot_2013-04-30_at_2.34.57_pm.png

The Solarium1367347215-screen_shot_2013-04-30_at_2.39.42_pm.png

Here's the link where you can download the full PDF which has the other design as well. http://clatl.com/fre...#readerComments

What do yall think?

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't been paying attention......What's gonna happen to the Georgia Dome?

The plan is to build a new stadium to attempt to attract the Super Bowl back to Atlanta. They would demolish the mere 20 year old Georgia Dome. I have been EVERYWHERE in the dome, the locker rooms, to the roof scaffolding, to the loading area, to the pressbox, on the field, cat walk (you get the picture) and the facility is beautiful. I'm not a fan of football being played indoors but this stadium is very very nice. The new stadium seems unnecessary in my opinion.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/source-falcons-strike-28-35m-deal-stadium-architec/nXcNK/

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

Here's a link to 360 Architecture's initial stadium designs for the Atlanta Falcons. I personally am blown away with the first one.

Make sure to scroll through the embeded documents to see detailed renderings.

http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2013/04/30/falcons-stadium-designer-proposes-that-new-sports-facility-may-look-likethis#readerComments

It's perfectly operational but no longer good enough for the Falcons. So the city is committing $200 million of taxpayer money and the Falcons are ponying up the rest of the $1 billion+ price tag so they can build this thing. There will "likely" be PSLs required for season ticket holders.

This while the only way Atlanta firefighters can get new beds to sleep on is for Simmons to donate mattresses. Have to love the way the world works. It's a disgrace really.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Its not that its no longer good enough for the Falcons as much as the other attractions which use the Dome. Ever since the Olympics, Atlanta has branded itself as a host city for big sports events. In order to continue to be in the loop with these events that the economy have become semi-dependent to, we needed to build a stadium which would keep us competitive. If you look at it from only the Falcons point of view, then yeah it is stupid. But as a city which wants to stay in the cycle and attract an MLS team, it makes perfect sense.

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

The plan is to build a new stadium to attempt to attract the Super Bowl back to Atlanta. They would demolish the mere 20 year old Georgia Dome. I have been EVERYWHERE in the dome, the locker rooms, to the roof scaffolding, to the loading area, to the pressbox, on the field, cat walk (you get the picture) and the facility is beautiful. I'm not a fan of football being played indoors but this stadium is very very nice. The new stadium seems unnecessary in my opinion.

http://www.wsbtv.com...architec/nXcNK/

I thought they were going to keep it for concerts, bowl games, etc? Now I'm sad they're tearing ti down, cause I've never been in the 10 years I've lived here.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

It's sad that a 20-year-old facility is no longer ample to host high profile sporting events.

As someone from the Boston area, I was always jealous of the other cities that got to build modern sports facilities. History aside, Foxboro Stadium, Boston Garden, and Fenway Park were dumps. Cramped, sweaty, uncomfortable, and lacking any of the conveniences that other cities' teams got with their new arenas and stadiums. The newest stadium was older than I was, and due to the usual old-time politics, it took until 1995 for the first newer facility to get constructed.

Of course, the buildings we have in this area now are great. Even Fenway became a more fun place to go to with the renovations (and improved team).

It seemed really wasteful to me to see a newer arena (Charlotte Coliseum) be considered outdated and torn down within 20 years. And now, it seems this Georgia Dome replacement is the same thing over again.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Its not that its no longer good enough for the Falcons as much as the other attractions which use the Dome. Ever since the Olympics, Atlanta has branded itself as a host city for big sports events. In order to continue to be in the loop with these events that the economy have become semi-dependent to, we needed to build a stadium which would keep us competitive. If you look at it from only the Falcons point of view, then yeah it is stupid. But as a city which wants to stay in the cycle and attract an MLS team, it makes perfect sense.

Sorry, you're never going to convince me (or probably a lot of other people) that a city with as many desperate fiscal needs as Atlanta needs to be spending $200 million of public money on this. Besides, the Georgia Dome hosted a Super Bowl and just had the Final Four and Atlanta had the Olympics for crying out loud. What "big sports events" are you referring to?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Prelim designs for the new Atlanta Stadium just got released. Two options, one called The Pantheon which is pretty ground breaking and looks to be more of the enclosed multi-use stadium with the wow factor that the city wants and the other is The Solarium which looks like a greenhouse. Very Lucas Oil like with great open views of the city which I know the owner said he wanted.

The Pantheon1367346943-screen_shot_2013-04-30_at_2.34.57_pm.png

Whenever I hear Atlanta and groundbreaking stadium or innovative new stadium, this immediately comes to mind:

Omnicoliseum.gif

And ironic to the posts above, they imploded it 25 years later!

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

So the Falcons are putting up a billion dollars of their own money... they couldn't just build a stadium that costs one billion dollars? That's impossible in 2013?

Sorry, you're never going to convince me (or probably a lot of other people) that a city with as many desperate fiscal needs as Atlanta needs to be spending $200 million of public money on this. Besides, the Georgia Dome hosted a Super Bowl and just had the Final Four and Atlanta had the Olympics for crying out loud. What "big sports events" are you referring to?

Those exact events along with the Peach Bowl which is bringing the national championship to town. That national championship game was dependent upon a new stadium deal. The NFL commish said the SuperBowl wont be coming back unless a new stadium is agreed upon. In 2003 when the FF first came to the dome, we knew it would be back in 2007, in 2007 we knew it would be back in 2013. This year, we don't know. You and me and my parents aren't going to be paying for this. Hell, 99.9% of Atlantians wont be paying for this. These aren't true public funds like income and property tax per say. Its a Bed and Motel tax, which means all the people coming into town and staying the night will be paying for this. Our tax dollars won't go to the new stadium unless we get drunk downtown and get a room for a night.

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

The first concept in this thread is hideous and would be dated quickly.

I am still on the side that says Atlanta doesn't need a new stadium. I was there for the 2010 Chick-Fil-A Bowl and it was just fine.

I like the first one because of the apparent element of using structure as a guiding concept in the design. It would be interesting to see someone really take that to the next level in a stadium and see what they can do with it.

That said, you can renovate the Georgia Dome to suit the needs of the Super Bowl. New Orleans just finished a huge renovation of the Superdome (not talking about the Katrina Repairs, but all the upgrades they did). If a 40 year old stadium can still be upgraded for a Super Bowl, so can a 20 year old one.

Archived