BlazerBlaze

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do the Silverbacks have that significant a presence in Atlanta? Most cities would gladly toss aside a minor league club for a major-league one.

The Cosmos have been able to survive the coming of NYCFC (so far, at least), in no small part because of their unique history, place in US soccer history and the simple fact that they sell a ton of merchandise.

Do the Silverbacks have that significant a presence in Atlanta? Most cities would gladly toss aside a minor league club for a major-league one.

The Cosmos have been able to survive the coming of NYCFC (so far, at least), in no small part because of their unique history, place in US soccer history and the simple fact that they sell a ton of merchandise.

Agreed.

If I was the Atlanta Silverbacks I would be planning to either close up shop, relocate somewhere else, or sell the team to MLS.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

You'd be surprised the type of following that the Silverbacks get. I'm good friends with the former head coach's daughter, and he's told me how loyal the fans are. They've had more than a few sellouts in the past spring and fall seasons as well.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

You'd be surprised the type of following that the Silverbacks get. I'm good friends with the former head coach's daughter, and he's told me how loyal the fans are. They've had more than a few sellouts in the past spring and fall seasons as well.

Yes, but in the face of an MLS team? Very few minor league clubs can thrive in the shadow of a big-league competitor. There are the Wolves in Chicago, but they were greatly reliant on the Blackhawks' incompetent ownership to really gain a foothold. We have the Cosmos, but again that might be a singular case.

Plus there will be tremendous pressure to keep prices low, sell the Silverbacks as a family-friendly alternative to the Atlanta Blanks. Problem with that strategy is that MLS, perhaps befitting its newbie status, is the least-expensive major league; season tickets average at $35 per game. Not to mention that the Blanks will undoubtedly move to sew up the local youth soccer market, with deals that will bring prices down even farther for local groups. That won't leave the Silverbacks a whole lot of room to remain competitive on the pitch, especially as teams like the Cosmos spend more and more.

I'm calling it now: either Blank buys the name or we will have the Milwaukee Silverbacks. There's a history befitting the name, and besides; it's payback for taking the Braves and Hawks! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Wind is something that blows. Not something you want to associate with any franchise, whether it's in Atnalta or not.

I see waht you did there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived