How the NFL Would Look in My Perfect World: Updates

8BW14

In my mind there are quite a few NFL uniforms that are nearly perfect, but could use some tweaks here and there to make them the best they can be. There are also some that I think are complete train wrecks and i have completely overhauled those teams to fit my vision of the perfect NFL. I have only done a primary home and road uniform and i am currently working on alternates that I will do in another thread.

I am going to start with the AFC, beginning with the North division followed by the South, East and finally the West and naturally after i have fully presented the AFC I will unveil all of the NFC franchises in the same fashion.

So without further ado, here it is:

AFC North

Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens are one of the teams that I think just needs some tweaks. I added a stripe to the helmet to take up some of the huge empty black space. I got rid of the "toilet seat collar" and added a thin black stripe to the collar and cuff.

Baltimorehome_zps24a66df8.pngBaltimoreaway_zpsf1a61637.png

Cincinnatti Bengals

The Bengals got a combination of old and new that i think works very well. The tiger stripe helmet is gone and replaced with a variation of the old BENGALS script helmet. As far of the uniforms go, they definitely retain the tiger stripe motif, but in a toned downed manner compared to their most recent costumes. Updated the helmet here, Everyone was right, it looks much better. Fixed the orange numbers, too.

Cincinnatihome_zpsa0403439.pngCincinnatiaway_zps85eafa25.png

Cleveland Browns

The Browns concept is one i think you will love or hate. I really emphasized the helmet stripe because it is really the only element on the helmet and something that i think the franchise really identifies with. I think this uniform is something fresh and new but is also in line with the traditional looks from Cleveland's past. No orange pants for the Browns either.

Clevelandhome_zps928b36f4.pngClevelandaway_zps3c32692a.png

Pittsburgh Steelers

I mean its the Steelers, I think their uniform is nearly perfect as is so I only made one minor tweak. I prefer the block numbers to the italic numbers so I made a swap back to those but kept the italic numbers on the helmet. Basically this uniform is a throwback

Pittsburghhome_zps139fdd7a.pngPittsburghaway_zps756359e3.png

Please let me know what you think. C&C would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ravens: You nailed it. These look great, even though there are no big changes. Nice work.

Bengals: The idea you have here looks okay, but the tiger helmet has to stay, even if you tone it down. Your helmet looks out of place with the set as do the the pant stripes with the top. Fix those two things, and you have a nice look.

Browns: Orange pants as a alternate. Nuff said.

Steelers: 100% perfection.

sport-scarf_leafs_zps5f769288.png

seahawks_banner.png

Despite being a Steelers fan, and a graphic designer that uses Futura quite a bit, I wholeheartedly wish they would change their numbers. Block number are best, and those look fantastic. Even if it were numbers that were a little more moderized, yet "blocky" I would be happy, but regardless, those look awesome.

Yeah, you took away the best helmet in the NFL - Cincinnati.

Funny that the Bengals are actually best at something.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Keep in mind that if this was your perfect world, you could design those four teams' uniforms any way you want. You don't have to use any current or former uniform as a base. If you did you're basically admitting each team looks OK as it is. If you wanted to change the Steelers' colors to pink and lilac or have them use Comic Sans as the number font then go for it.

As for the uniforms you did create, here's my verdict:

Ravens-It's not really much of a change, so I can't really say you improved the uniforms. It's hard to comment on them without rehashing the same comments we have about what the Ravens wear now.

Bengals-This is a downgrade to what they wear today. It was a mistake to cut down on the amount of color on the number trim. I don't get the sentimentalism with the old "BENGALS" helmet; they're just plain helmets. I don't favor orange numbers on the black jersey.

Browns-If you're going to have number trim on the home browns, why not do the same for the white uniforms? I'd personally inverse the number and trim color on the brown jerseys. Otherwise, good job.

Steelers-These are an upgrade. The slanted, skinny, Futura numbers never looked right on a team like the Steelers or on any football uniforms in general. Moving to a wider block font is much better.

okay so the general consensus seems to be to go with the Bengals current helmet which i am fine with. I will post that update in the original when i put the South up tomorrow.

Keep in mind that if this was your perfect world, you could design those four teams' uniforms any way you want. You don't have to use any current or former uniform as a base. If you did you're basically admitting each team looks OK as it is. If you wanted to change the Steelers' colors to pink and lilac or have them use Comic Sans as the number font then go for it.

Whats wrong with admitting they look okay as is? My outlook on this is "If iit ain't broke, don't fix it". I said I like most NFL uniforms so some of these won't be too different. My main purpose of this series is to improve upon each team's look.

I appreciate the sentiment though. Thanks for the comments.

Not a fan of the Browns home uniform numbers. They tried the orange numbers on the brown jersey once in a preseason game and then abandoned it because you can't actually read the numbers during the game. And using that reasoning, same would go for the Bengals. I like the sleeves on the Browns away uniforms though!

That's why I gave them the heavy white outline, to keep the orange and brown from running together. I kinda like it just because its something different than plain white numbers. Maybe the Bengals would work better if I thickened up the outlines on those too?

You might want to put these on a white background because right now they're kinda hard to see.

Yeah i know some of them might be hard to see, especially on a phone screen. Please just bear with me on that while I try to get it sorted out.

Steelers block jersey font comes back. YESSSSSSSS. I HATE the one they have now.

Also, I think you have to keep the current Bengals helmet.

mainescarf.png

Ravens- I just don't like that logo. Anything else, the shield, the B, the old forward facing raven head, anything would be an improvement. I also think the black pants would work better with stripes.

Bengals- I like the overall design, it's pretty close to perfection. I'm not a fan of the number font, but it's not offensive either. Just my opinion, but I would prefer it if the numbers on the black jersey were white outlined in orange.

Browns- There's only so much you can do to change the Browns' uniform up while still maintaining their traditional look. You did a very good job of that.

Steelers- Not much you can really do, but what you did works.

AFC South

Houston Texans

The jerseys and pants for the Texans are staying essentially the same. I added a thin stripe to the shoulder inserts and moved the numbers to the shoulders. I used different helmets for the home and away because I couldn't decide which one to use. The home helmet really plays up the Texas theme and i think it will be either a hit or miss, hopefully a hit.

Houstonhome_zps0505cd4d.pngHoustonaway_zps793478fd.png

Indianapolis Colts

Not really much to say here. All I did was extend the shoulder loops to their rightful stopping points under the sleeves, but i think its an improvement nonetheless.

Indianapolishome_zps6418bddc.pngIndianapolisaway_zps776a001f.png

Jacksonville Jaguars

There are a few aspects of these new Jacksonville uniforms I love and some others I'm not totally sold on. The striping is inspires by the sharp edges of the script and number font, I removed the shading from the logo and tweaked the gold to make it something unique to the team, and fixed the weird fold in the shield logo. I have three uniforms for Jacksonville because I couldn't decide whether black or teal should be home(I'm leaning towards teal) and I'm not 100% sold on the gold pants.

Jacksonvilleteal_zps1d3ad850.pngJacksonvillehome_zpsfba7a3a6.png

Jacksonvilleaway_zpsd372a4af.png

Tennessee Titans

My biggest gripe with the Titans is the flames on the logo. They look tacky in my opinion, so i removed them. The basic structure of the current uniform remains, but I updated both the shoulder and pants stripes.

Tennesseehome_zpsf1a78c93.pngTennesseeaway_zpsa14c4f48.png

Please let me know what you think, any comments are much appreciated, thanks.

Okay I updated Cincinnati in the original post and I'll post it here too.

Cincinnatihome_zps82802d35.pngCincinnatiaway_zps85eafa25.png

After looking at it more, do you think the Browns and Bengals home jerseys would look better with white numbers?

Championship%20Banners.jpg.png

AFC South

Houston Texans

The jerseys and pants for the Texans are staying essentially the same. I added a thin stripe to the shoulder inserts and moved the numbers to the shoulders. I used different helmets for the home and away because I couldn't decide which one to use. The home helmet really plays up the Texas theme and i think it will be either a hit or miss, hopefully a hit.

Houstonhome_zps0505cd4d.pngHoustonaway_zps1f054fe1.png

Indianapolis Colts

Not really much to say here. All I did was extend the shoulder loops to their rightful stopping points under the sleeves, but i think its an improvement nonetheless.

Indianapolishome_zps6418bddc.pngIndianapolisaway_zps776a001f.png

Jacksonville Jaguars

There are a few aspects of these new Jacksonville uniforms I love and some others I'm not totally sold on. The striping is inspires by the sharp edges of the script and number font, I removed the shading from the logo and tweaked the gold to make it something unique to the team, and fixed the weird fold in the shield logo. I have three uniforms for Jacksonville because I couldn't decide whether black or teal should be home(I'm leaning towards teal) and I'm not 100% sold on the gold pants.

Jacksonvilleteal_zps7c216ba0.pngJacksonvillehome_zpsfba7a3a6.png

Jacksonvilleaway_zps64929846.png

Tennessee Titans

My biggest gripe with the Titans is the flames on the logo. They look tacky in my opinion, so i removed them. The basic structure of the current uniform remains, but I updated both the shoulder and pants stripes.

Tennesseehome_zpsf1a78c93.pngTennesseeaway_zpsa14c4f48.png

Please let me know what you think, any comments are much appreciated, thanks.

On the Jags sets, I think white numbers on the teal jersey would really pop out. On the black pants, the outside gold stripes, maybe make them white?

Texans helmet with flag stripe is pretty cool.

Championship%20Banners.jpg.png

Could you do something with the background color? Maybe it's just the monitor I'm currently using but the black in the uniforms is too close to the blackness behind them.

bufg.png

Could you do something with the background color? Maybe it's just the monitor I'm currently using but the black in the uniforms is too close to the blackness behind them.

I'm working on that. On my monitor they look fine, but I understand that and I'm trying to get that fixed.

Archived