Washington Logo Project

Sharpir0

Hi All, long time listener first time caller here.

I am currently working on a project for the rebrand of a certain Arlington based football team using the Washington name (ahem) I'm guessing that with the controversy around the name isn't the first time this has been done but I wanted to upload some of my work in progress for you guys to look at and get some feedback on how they are progressing. This is the first time i've worked on sports logos so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

so here goes:

shirt-warriors1_zps9f48b8c6.jpg

Based on the Valor statue situated on the Arlington memorial bridge.

shirt-warriors2_zps1fbc54ee.jpg?t=1367401592

Based on the shapes of each of three U.S Medal's of Honor

shirt-potomacs_zps103c1c34.jpg?t=1367401565

Based on the Potomac river name

shirt--senators_zpse29bdef4.jpg?t=1367401444

Probably the least developed idea so far. This is based on on the city flag, the Iwo Jima Memorial memorial flag angle, and the U.S senate logo.

Thank you in advance for any comments you may have.

I agree the head in the first one doesn't seem to fit into the circle very well.

Second Warriors is a great idea, but there seems to be a bit too much going on.

Potomacs is kind of meh, just a lot of generic swooshes behind a P.

I'm really interested in the last one, would like to see it fleshed out a bit more. Is there a reason the red lines are jagged like that? Is it meant to be shading/highlighting?

Overall these are all very well done. Ultimately I think a Redskins rebrand should maintain the current colour scheme, and just get rid of the god awful name and logo.

What if they took the same name as the Nationals? Then it would be a lot like the St. Louis Cardinals (football and baseball) of yesteryear. I think the Senators would be a great name though.

Championship%20Banners.jpg.png

The Medal of Honor Warriors is my favorite. When I first saw the Potomacs my immediate thought was the Avalanche logo was thrown in a blender.

I like the "300" Warriors, but it may be too similar to the film. Great logo, but if you're gonna rebrand the 'Skins, it might be best to just get away from using a person as the logo altogether. Plus, why not just call them the Spartans in that case?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I agree that the second one (medals) is the best of the bunch you've presented. It's got a bit too much detail for my taste, but it's a well-rendered and original concept.

Sigs are for sissies.

I agree that the first one doesn't really work as is, but i love the name warriors if the Redskins ever did have to change their name. I really like how it retains some of the aspects and colors of the team. I think with some fine-tuning, like a symmetrical circle and maybe some re-sizing of the profile, it could work very well.

shirt-warriors2_zps1fbc54ee.jpg?t=1367401592

This....this I REALLY like. Truly original idea. You can even play around with the shapes here to kinda fashion a hidden "W" if you so chose.

I kinda wanna see this idea developed further. Oh and, +1 to what Brave-Bird said.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

there was an article the other day on the mothership saying one senator wanted to rename them the "REDTAILS" which to me it one of the best ideas i have heard.

http://espn.go.com/n...ington-redskins

David Grosso suggested the team change its name to "Redtails" in honor of the Tuskegee Airmen, a pioneering group of African-American pilots who served the United States in World War II.

"You can still sing the song and everything," Grosso, told The Washington Post and then sang, "Hail ... to the ... Redtails."

Grosso said, however, that Redtails was just a suggestion.

"I just don't want it to be offensive, and at the end, what I'd love to call them is world champions," he said, according to Washington Examiner.

Grosso told the Post that two other members of the 13-person council have agreed to sign the resolution, which would be nonbinding. The Examiner reported that at least eight members of the council support it.

"We have to change it, and I'm calling on [owner] Dan Snyder and the NFL to step up and do the right thing," Grosso said, according to the Examiner.

The Redskins' nickname is currently being challenged before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board in a case filed by a group of five Native Americans aged between 18 and 24 in 2006. A hearing in the case was held in March.

The group of five Native American petitioners has to show that the name "Washington Redskins" was disparaging to a significant population of American Indians back when the team was granted the trademarks from 1967 to 1990.

The board can't stop the Redskins from using the name, but the loss of trademark protection would hurt the team financially from a marketing perspective, enough, the plaintiffs hope, for Snyder to consider a change.

There won't be a resolution in the trademark case any time soon. Lawyers said they expect the judges to take as long as a year to issue a ruling, and the Redskins are sure to appeal if it doesn't go their way. A similar case, ultimately won by the team, was filed in 1992 and needed 17 years to go through the legal system before the Supreme Court declined to intervene.

best part, you can keep the "tail"

I love the Warriors logo and the symbolism surrounding the design. I think it would have to be simplified a little for league digestion, and I agree with those who say the current colors have to stay, but that logo is awesome.

mainescarf.png

Thanks for all of the comments received. I will try working them into the developments of these ideas and post updates as and when I can. I agree the shield logo has a bit to much going on at the moment for an NFL logo. Think my first step is to remove some of the shade and highlights.

you have a template for that jersey background.. really cool

Don't have at the moment, I just created it in photoshop after taking a picture of one of the old reebok jerseys. wouldn't take long to turn into a template though so will happily make it available soon when i have some time.

I really like that last one, is the red on the flag supposed to look like a bird head? If you could make it look a little more like an eagle that would be sweet.

Yeah it's supposed to be the eagle head. This idea has been driving me crazy trying to develop it. I'm trying to go for two ideas in one, problem is when you look at something for so long you lose sight of how obvious, or not all, it appears to be.

Finally heres a small development for the first design. As suggested I've made the frame symmetrical, I also added to the character. I wanted to to keep the frame for its link to the current identity. I've also switched the colours to the throwback colors and worked on the wordmark. Not sure on the color but wanted to give it a shot as I wasn't set on the yellow/ gold of the first upload. I agree that keeping the colors to some extent would be preferable though.

shirt-warriors1-v2_zpsd51bb879.jpg

Thanks again

Style wise it's very solid. Bold, good use of colors, great line quality.

My biggest concern with this concept is its weak name. Warriors is too overused and way too vague. It doesn't scream D.C. to me. Also, while i understand what the logo was inspired by (the valor statue), to me it just looks like a dude with a beard. I think it needs to be a more "warrior-like" (swords, warpaint, shields, anything like that) if you continue with this idea.

Personally my favorite is the Potomac's concept. Its very area specific, original in name, and not trying to be a less offensive version of the past brand. My only concern is that the colors and the style you chose is very similar to the Colorado Avalanche's logos.

Sorry for the book! Great work!

Art Director at Lodge Design • Indianapolis, IN

- - - - - - - - - -

www.wechoosetogotothemoondesign.com

Archived