Canadian Soccer Pyramid 2028

nas1787

Canada should have their own league system, but pro/reg could work either way. The English FL has three Welsh teams. If they can make it work, so can we.

Pro/reg is a bad idea in North America. Owners and sponsors hate it while it is strongly against the interests of the top teams that have all the money (if it goes against big money it is not likely to win). Also the MLS has a single entity arrangement which puts all the teans under a single umbrella of ownership by the league so that can get messy in pro/reg system.

What if those divisions were all owned by the same league? (MLS Elite, MLS1, MLS2, etc.)

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On to the NASL. While MLS has 3 clubs in the East and only one in the West, the NASL has the exact opposite. For all of the designs for the NASL I tried to keep them kind of funky and a bit retro, keeping everything in line with the great logos of the past from this league.

Edmonton Drillers - NASL

In 2014, FC Edmonton is still struggling to find a real foothold in the Edmonton sports market. Given that a number of clubs have found success in embracing their retro identities (Rowdies, Cosmos) Edmonton decides to rebrand and go back to the old Drillers name. The change is met with great excitement and helps to rejuvenate the team. While they have never made a real push for promotion to MLS, the club has carved out a loyal following in NASL, winning two NASL Championships.

FC Edmonton is also the only non-MLS club to win the Canadian Championship since the Montreal Impact in 2008, winning their only Voyageurs Cup in 2020.

o6AY83B.jpg

I really like the old Drillers logo, so all I did with this redesign was get rid of the bit-too-funky text and replace it with something a bit more current.

The rest of the NASL clubs are brand new creations!

Calgary Owls - NASL

One thing that really helped solidify the Edmonton franchise was the introduction of a natural rival in Calgary in 2020. With Ottawa being promoted to MLS, Calgary was granted an expansion franchise to replace the Fury. The team was called the Owls after the great horned owl, official bird of Alberta.

Calgary has also benefited from having Edmonton as a rival, and the soccer version of the Battle of Alberta has been raging for 8 season and counting. While Calgary has not had much success in the league, they made one memorable run in the Canadian Championship in 2023, being narrowly defeated by Vancouver in the final. Calgary always is a tough competitor for the Drillers too, always bringing their A-game to all-Alberta contests.

A7fp5yZ.jpg

The crest here uses the C and colours from Calgary's city flag. Rather than a cowboy hat, the C features an owl in the middle. I wanted to steer clear of oil and gas names (because of the Drillers) and western-themed names (because they are sometimes overdone).

Canada should have their own league system, but pro/reg could work either way. The English FL has three Welsh teams. If they can make it work, so can we.

Pro/reg is a bad idea in North America. Owners and sponsors hate it while it is strongly against the interests of the top teams that have all the money (if it goes against big money it is not likely to win). Also the MLS has a single entity arrangement which puts all the teans under a single umbrella of ownership by the league so that can get messy in pro/reg system.

What if those divisions were all owned by the same league? (MLS Elite, MLS1, MLS2, etc.)

NO

Do you know how much a hassle it would be to do a single-entity system for an entire pyramid? Pro/reg is a stupid idea in North America for this and the other reasons I mentioned.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

First of all, it's "pro/rel", since the latter term is "relegation". Pro registration wouldn't likely be a bad thing.

Secondly, take that discussion out of the concept thread, please.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Calgary Owls - NASL

One thing that really helped solidify the Edmonton franchise was the introduction of a natural rival in Calgary in 2020. With Ottawa being promoted to MLS, Calgary was granted an expansion franchise to replace the Fury. The team was called the Owls after the great horned owl, official bird of Alberta.

Calgary has also benefited from having Edmonton as a rival, and the soccer version of the Battle of Alberta has been raging for 8 season and counting. While Calgary has not had much success in the league, they made one memorable run in the Canadian Championship in 2023, being narrowly defeated by Vancouver in the final. Calgary always is a tough competitor for the Drillers too, always bringing their A-game to all-Alberta contests.

A7fp5yZ.jpg

The crest here uses the C and colours from Calgary's city flag. Rather than a cowboy hat, the C features an owl in the middle. I wanted to steer clear of oil and gas names (because of the Drillers) and western-themed names (because they are sometimes overdone).

nas, I'm really digging this series. I think this is my favorite so far. Simple, clean. Only nitpick is the text being vertical.

Nicely done.

Old Dog Learning New Tricks.

A7fp5yZ.jpg

This is by far my favourite logo. I would like the addition of either FC, SC or an image of a soccer ball. That is just my personal preference though. Possibly a thicker line on the outer red circle too. Minor details.

I have been following this thread closely because I love Soccer, but my logo expertise is not too great. I will definitely chime in more once the kits get released as that is something I can offer more towards. I'm loving the back stories with each team too. It definitely adds something.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Also, I'm sorry about bringing up the pro/rel argument here. I wasn't trying to derail the thread and I didn't realize that people felt so strongly about it.

I just don't understand why everyone's so mad. I was just asking some questions.

Halifax Mariners FC - NASL

Just two years after Calgary joined, the NASL expanded to include 3 Canadian clubs with the introduction of Halifax Mariners FC. Tied to the expansion of the Canadian Football League into the Maritimes (with a new stadium built in Halifax), the Mariners began play for the 2022 season. The team has met with little success in their short history, but has found a devoted following.

The club had a contest to name and design the team. With so many good ideas, the organization decided to try and incorporate a number of different elements in the crest. The shape mimics that of Fort George on Citadel Hill, there is a St. Andrew's Cross representing Nova Scotia's Scottish history, and there is an anchor, ship wheel and rope to tie the team to the Maritimes (and the name). The colours come from Halifax's city flag.

GXJEXIi.jpg

I find this crest a bit busy, hence why I went with the story of a design competition in which the organization tried to please everyone with their final product. I really liked the idea of using the fort as a holding shape, but had a hell of a time fitting anything else inside it. As always, C&C appreciated.

Saskatchewan Pioneers - NASL

The newest of Canada's fully professional clubs joined the NASL in 2026. Being an expansion club, the team has had little time to find success. With the continued growth of Saskatoon due to oil and gas development in the province, there was a feeling that professional soccer would be successful in the city. So far, so good, though long term success is still to be determined.

In an effort to tie the club to the massively popular Roughriders of the CFL, the team wears green, but adds in brown as well to help differentiate. The club is named the Pioneers after the European settlers who moved west in the early 20th century (primarily Brits, Germans and Ukrainians), and settled in present-day Saskatchewan.

YQbIlkK.jpg

Not much to say about this. I wanted to use green, but also wanted to make it different from the Roughriders. So I used a lighter green and brown. The crest is just an old-fashioned wagon-wheel. As I see all these NASL clubs in a row, I notice there are a lot of roundel-type logos, but I promise that it gets a bit more varied from here on out.

Up next we move on to the CSL, and I'll start out west with the Western Soccer League.

Halifax Mariners FC - NASL

Just two years after Calgary joined, the NASL expanded to include 3 Canadian clubs with the introduction of Halifax Mariners FC. Tied to the expansion of the Canadian Football League into the Maritimes (with a new stadium built in Halifax), the Mariners began play for the 2022 season. The team has met with little success in their short history, but has found a devoted following.

The club had a contest to name and design the team. With so many good ideas, the organization decided to try and incorporate a number of different elements in the crest. The shape mimics that of Fort George on Citadel Hill, there is a St. Andrew's Cross representing Nova Scotia's Scottish history, and there is an anchor, ship wheel and rope to tie the team to the Maritimes (and the name). The colours come from Halifax's city flag.

GXJEXIi.jpg

I find this crest a bit busy, hence why I went with the story of a design competition in which the organization tried to please everyone with their final product. I really liked the idea of using the fort as a holding shape, but had a hell of a time fitting anything else inside it. As always, C&C appreciated.

What I would do is keep the current shape and have the cross from the logo in the background, then add a ships wheel arching across the bottom with the anchor over it on one of the spokes, and have "HMFC" I'm the top of the logo all in gold, removing the ring of txt from the logo.

Frankly, Halifax is the best of the bunch by far. You could simplify the rope a bit, but otherwise I really like it. I could imagine it being used on the shirts without the text with the yellow as a key line around it.

The rest... frankly, they're disappointing in the light of Halifax. They feel very phoned in.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. On to the 3rd division CSL teams!

Victoria Highlanders FC - WSL

The Highlanders were one of the founding members of the WSL, making the jump from USL PDL to the newly formed league for the 2015 season. With the new league, the club took the opportunity to update their crest, making just minor changes to their current look. Being one of the few already established clubs in the WSL, they saw plenty of early success, winning the WSL crown and competing for the CSL championship in 2015.

7HN9BpX.jpg

I quite like the Highlanders current look, but felt like there were just a few tweaks necessary to make it great. I thickened some lines, replaced the soccer ball, and updated the wordmark.

Harbour City Nanaimo - WSL

Staying on Vancouver Island, Harbour City Nanamio were established in 2016 and began play in the WSL a year later. To date they have been rather unsuccessful in terms of on field play, but very successful in filling the stands and creating a great supporter's experience. Island derbys (between Victoria and Nanaimo) are often a heated affair. Their crest features the Bastion, a fortification built by the Hudson's Bay Company in the 1850s, which still stands in Nanaimo.

9Jlv1Po.jpg

In addition to the Bastion, I really like how the ring of the logo looks a bit like a lifesaver, fitting for a club called Harbour City.

Archived