Canadian Soccer Pyramid 2028

nas1787

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Abbotsford Rangers - WSL

The Rangers entered the WSL in 2020 as an expansion franchise. In their first year, they went all the way to the CSL championship game before losing. They have not been back since, though have had a couple of good showings in the WSL. The club resurrected the Rangers name from a previous PDL club, and used the distinctive Abbotsford city flag design and colours in their crest.

Cl8Pu8w.jpg

So from what I have found online, the Abbotsford Rangers became the Fraser Valley Mariners, who recently folded. I couldn't find any logo that the Rangers previously used, so I treated this as a brand new club. I liked the unique colours of the city flag and thought it would work well in a shield.

Sea to Sky FC - WSL

Sea to Sky are a relatively new club, just joining the WSL in 2025. Based in Vancouver, the club searched for a name that could be embraced throughout the entire region before finally settling on Sea to Sky. With it's central location in Vancouver, the club has attracted a fair number of international players, making for a very competitive team, but one often criticized for not developing enough Canadian talent.

hFZt6Pe.jpg

After making this crest I realized it was stylistically very much in line with the Whitecaps (double blue and white, sharp edges). But I think this is actually reasonable that a smaller club would attempt to mimic the look of a larger more successful team in the area. The waves are similar to those found in Vancouver's city flag, while the mountains evoke the Whitecaps.

Also, someone above asked about a club in Alaska. I decided early on to confine the CSL divisions to Canadian clubs only. With our top two tiers being primarily American leagues, I think it would be important to have at least one competition which is all-Canadian.

The Sky to Sea crest is great. I like the use of the Whitecaps colors, you're right with the smaller club trying to mimic the bigger club. Keep up the good work.

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner 

Burnaby SC - WSL

Burnaby was one of the founding members of the WSL, joining in 2015. They have seen ups and downs throughout their history, but most recently ups with a big CSL championship in 2027 and a surprising run to the Canadian Championship quarterfinals in the same year.

Y0qkX34.jpg

Burnaby is another design based on the city flag. That eagle is just too cool to ignore. I placed it inside a shield and it was good to go.

Surrey Union - WSL

The third and final club in the Metro Vancouver area is Surrey Union. The club was established in 2018 and has been a top competitor in the WSL ever since, winning two WSL championships and one CSL championship. The club sought to represent all of Surrey (a very large and spread out municipality). The name Union and the 6 ring crest refer to the unity the club creates among Surrey's 6 town centres.

t6CYqG5.jpg

The purple and grey colour scheme was just a happy accident and has no real significance. This is one of my personal favourites.

I should also mention that many of the locations of clubs are based on my own experience. Burnaby and Surrey are two areas I have spent much time in since moving to Vancouver a couple years ago, so they get clubs (it also helps that they are the two biggest municipalities in the region after Vancouver).

Chilliwack Hearts - WSL

Another founding member of the WSL, Hearts have been a consistent threat throughout their existence, but have never translated that into any championship. Their closest call came in 2027 when they lost to Burnaby in the WSL championship game. The team name and identity is closely linked to the city of Chilliwack. The four hearts in the crest come directly from the city's flag, and are meant to represent that Chilliwack is the 'Green Heart of BC'. The name also reflects this (and ties in nicely with Heart of Midlothian in Scotland).

nduor7c.jpg

Okanagan Valley SC - WSL

Based in Kelowna, BC, OVSC was founded in 2020, and has always had a strong focus on developing local talent from throughout the Okanagan Valley. The hot, dry summer temperatures of the valley make the team difficult to play against at home (particularly for other BC-based clubs not used to the intense heat). The club's crest features a bunch of grapes as a nod to the valley's many wineries.

1NoWdvx.jpg

In addition to the grapes, the green oval shape with the blue stripe down the middle is meant to evoke the Okanagan Valley, which is long and skinny and has a series of lakes and rivers running through the middle of it.

That's all of the BC WSL clubs, next up will be Alberta-based teams.

Cowtown FC - WSL

As a predecessor to the Owls NASL franchise, Cowtown FC began play in the WSL in 2017. Cowtown fully embraces the Western identity of the city, featuring live country music at half time and always throwing special events during the Stampede. While many people are put off by this, it has helped make soccer palatable to a new subsection of Calgarians who otherwise would dismiss the sport. Cowtown's biggest achievement thus far has been a Canadian Championship quarterfinals win over the Owls in 2021.

QegXc8w.jpg

I really like the idea of the Owls being the more popular club trying to appeal to a broader and more soccer-knowledgeable crowd, while Cowtown FC panders to the 'hick country-folk' population of Calgary. I imagine seeing a whole lot of cowboy hats and boots at games, with pre-game hog-tying competitions and other such hilarious tie-ins.

Edmonton Pilots - WSL

Edmonton's WSL club is brand new, just beginning play in 2028. Named for the long aviation history of Edmonton (first licensed airfield in Canada, Gateway to the North), the Pilots hope to channel the aspiration of their namesakes and hit new heights in the WSL.

QsOQgWn.jpg

In addition to the pilot wings logo, the crest also features a wild rose, the provincial flower of Alberta, representing Edmonton's status as the province's capital city. The gold and blue colours come from the city's coat of arms.

Chilliwack Hearts - WSL

Another founding member of the WSL, Hearts have been a consistent threat throughout their existence, but have never translated that into any championship. Their closest call came in 2027 when they lost to Burnaby in the WSL championship game. The team name and identity is closely linked to the city of Chilliwack. The four hearts in the crest come directly from the city's flag, and are meant to represent that Chilliwack is the 'Green Heart of BC'. The name also reflects this (and ties in nicely with Heart of Midlothian in Scotland).

nduor7c.jpg

Top shelf stuff nas. Chilliwack...I can hear the chants now.

Old Dog Learning New Tricks.

Lethbridge AFC - WSL

Lethbridge are a relatively new addition to the WSL, joining in 2024. Despite significant support in the city, the club has occupied the basement of the WSL standings for most of their first four seasons.

DYZ8kaf.jpg

Lethbridge has a really interesting city flag, which is where the lines inside the shield came from for this identity.

Red Deer FC - WSL

RDFC were one of the founding members of the WSL, and the first Albertan club in the league. They have had much success over the years, winning the WSL championship a record 5 times, and the CSL championship twice. Red Deer supporters are known for travelling to see their team play, and games in Calgary and Edmonton are often particularly flooded with RDFC fans.

zOWHDWQ.jpg

With a name like Red Deer, it just seemed ideal to have a red deer be the main focus of the club. The other thing to note about the crest is that the holding shape is a stylized aspen leaf, as Red Deer is located in the aspen parkland area of Alberta.

That's all for Alberta, Saskatchewan is coming up next. Only 4 more clubs in the WSL.

Edmonton Pilots - WSL

Edmonton's WSL club is brand new, just beginning play in 2028. Named for the long aviation history of Edmonton (first licensed airfield in Canada, Gateway to the North), the Pilots hope to channel the aspiration of their namesakes and hit new heights in the WSL.

QsOQgWn.jpg

In addition to the pilot wings logo, the crest also features a wild rose, the provincial flower of Alberta, representing Edmonton's status as the province's capital city. The gold and blue colours come from the city's coat of arms.

My only critique is that I think the rose looks a little forced. Maybe you could try and put it on the top of the crest or something. I don't know, but I just don't like it as it is.

scarvessmall_zpsc4c8e942.png

Red Deer FC - WSL

RDFC were one of the founding members of the WSL, and the first Albertan club in the league. They have had much success over the years, winning the WSL championship a record 5 times, and the CSL championship twice. Red Deer supporters are known for travelling to see their team play, and games in Calgary and Edmonton are often particularly flooded with RDFC fans.

zOWHDWQ.jpg

With a name like Red Deer, it just seemed ideal to have a red deer be the main focus of the club. The other thing to note about the crest is that the holding shape is a stylized aspen leaf, as Red Deer is located in the aspen parkland area of Alberta.

That's all for Alberta, Saskatchewan is coming up next. Only 4 more clubs in the WSL.

I really like this one. However, I'm left to ponder whether antlers in place of a full bodied deer would make this really rock.

Old Dog Learning New Tricks.

I really like this one. However, I'm left to ponder whether antlers in place of a full bodied deer would make this really rock.

That's not a bad idea. I'm going to introduce all of the clubs, then make tweaks when all is said and done. I'll try it out.

I don't have a ton of internet access this week, so I'm not too sure when the next update is coming.

Saskatoon Berries SC - WSL

Saskatoon Berries joined the WSL in 2019, and have found success through partnering with the Saskatchewan Pioneers of the NASL. While struggling in the first few years, through tie-ins and promotions with the upper level club, the Berries have carved out a significant following.

F8Hf1a4.jpg

So obviously this one is a bit tongue-in-cheek. In case you don't know, Saskatoon berries are a type of berry that grows in much of Western Canada and some parts of the US. Saskatoon berry pie is awesome. Seemed pretty obvious to put a berry in a soccer ball and use blue and purple as the main colours.

Regina Firebirds - WSL

Saskatchewan's second WSL club is the Firebirds based out of the capital in Regina. The club joined the league in 2025 and has enjoyed almost immediate success, winning one WSL championship and reaching the finals of one CSL championship. The club also features strong local support, as most sports teams in Regina do.

uqyaFEp.jpg

The provincial bird of Saskatchewan is the sharp-tailed grouse. I didn't think the Grouses made for a very good club name though. But according to Wikipedia, Aboriginals often refer to them as fire birds, due to the fact that brush fires are required to maintain their habitat. So Firebirds it was.

As you can see, the crest is clearly inspired by Tottenham, with a grouse (slightly modified from the Famous Grouse logo) standing atop a soccer ball. I used red and yellow to play on the fire theme.

Archived